An Unwelcome Quest by Scott Meyer

An Unwelcome Quest

by Scott Meyer

Series: Magic 2.0 (3)

I enjoyed it enough to buy the rest of the series to read. [I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.]

tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
A nice addition to the series. Meyers is good at throwing the characters into new situations to stop the series becoming stale. The charachters are a bit 2 dimensional but there is just enough depth and growth to keep the story moving. ( )
  bhutton | Jul 24, 2018 |
Maybe it's just that I'm old enough to remember games like King's Quest, maybe it's that Luke Daniels is a great narrator, maybe it's that these characters have grown on me over the past two books... But I loved this audiobook and found myself laughing out loud during some of the game quest elements and nerd side discussions about them. A great adventure and some wonderful gaming memories too. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
I think this is the best Magic 2.0 story yet. The intrepid magicians who discovered a computer program that lets them do practically anything they want have been captured by a former apprentice they had banished for his unethical applications of the program. Todd was Gary's apprentice, who used the file to torture the villagers in the past where most of the people collected themselves to enjoy the fruits of their magical labors. He was banished to a high security prison in Florida after being made computer safe...or so they thought.

Thus begins the latest saga of our friends, Martin, Phillip, Gwen, Brit, Gary, and Jimmy/Merlin (But Jimmy's not really a friend). Along with others, they are caught in Todd's manipulation of the mysterious file. They must complete a quest that is life threatening and do it without the powers they had grown so accustomed to using to make their lives cushy. Sharp humor, cultural references, geek nods abound. There's a Star Trek movie joke that made me laugh out loud (You'll know it when you see it).

They must complete a quest that Todd has created to wreak his revenge on those he blames the most for his punishment. The trouble is, he's not very creative, and the perils they must face, though truly deadly, have a predictability that are mostly surmountable. Todd's not very happy about this. He's going to take care of them one way or another. I think Scott Meyer did a great job this round and you won't be disappointed if you enjoyed the first two books.

I received an advance copy though Netgalley. ( )
  cynrtst | May 13, 2016 |
Audio book ( )
  tyrelsouza | Oct 20, 2015 |

Meyer, ScottAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ever since Martin Banks and his fellow computer geeks discovered that reality is just a computer program to be happily hacked, they've been jaunting back and forth through time, posing as medieval wizards and having the epic adventures that other nerds can only dream of having. But even in their wildest fantasies, they never expected to end up at the mercy of the former apprentice whom they sent to prison for gross misuse of magic and all-around evil behavior. Who knew that the vengeful Todd would escape, then conjure a computer game packed with wolves, wenches, wastelands, and assorted harrowing hazards -- and trap his hapless former friends inside it? Stripped of their magic powers, the would-be wizards must brave terrifying dangers, technical glitches, and one another's company if they want to see Medieval England -- and their favorite sci-fi movies on VHS -- ever again. Can our heroes survive this magical mystery torture? Or will it only lead them and their pointy hats into more peril?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,322,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible