Down The Rabbit Hole by J. D. Robb

I look forward to these books as a fun peek at my favorite In Death characters and the other stories tend to feel like a bonus. It's interesting to see how each author incorporates the theme of the compilation. Being a complete sucker for all things Wonderland-esque, I was looking forward to this read.

It was a good brain-cleaner book after a rather exhausting day but I do think it ranks as my least favorite compilation so far; at least on the part of J.D. Robb. The punch of the story was lacking for me. Robb has gone paranormal much more successfully in compilation pieces prior to this one, such as in Possession and Haunted . I just wasn't as hooked by the blend of Mad Hatter madness and paranormal elements as I hoped to be. It seemed more call-in than something Robb put any real effort into fleshing out.

I'd rank Alice and the Earl in Wonderland by Mary Blayney the highest in this collection. Romance novels/authors aren't really my wheelhouse so I'm not sure if the ranking would translate for someone who loves romance. For me, however, Blayney showed some interesting style in her contribution.

lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I picked this up for the In Death" novella, and wasn't disappointed--it's one of the better novellas, though as usual, it's not as strong as the full-length novels. But it's an interesting case, and doesn't tax the suspension of disbelief as some of the others have. While Robb's was probably the best of the anthology, Elaine Fox's "iLove" and Mary Kay McComas's "A True Heart" were pretty enjoyable. "iLove" suffered a little for trying to hammer in an "Alice in Wonderland" theme, and I think it would have been stronger if it could have been a stand-alone story. But it surprised me--I was braced for a heavy-handed Technology Is Bad story based on the opening, and the depth given to all of the characters actually took me aback. Similarly, I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed the heroine of "A True Heart" and found myself sympathizing with her. While I didn't completely buy the explanation given for the story at the end, I did think it did a good--possibly the best--job of naturally incorporating "Alice" elements.

On the flip side is Mary Blayney and RC Ryan. Blayney's time-travel stories have never worked for me--I never feel anything but indifferent to her characters, so the outcome of their stories has little interest for me. Sadly, this wasn't an exception. That's not to say that this is a bad story--if her writing works for you, I imagine you'll enjoy it--just very forgettable. Ryan's "Fallen", on the other hand, had a promising beginning and then took a sudden nosedive. If I'd liked it a little more, I probably would have felt cheated--instead, I was just relieved that it was over. The heroine constantly seemed on the verge of growing a brain, so I'd hang in there and hope things were about to live up to the promise of the beginning...and then she'd take another stupid pill. Between that and the cardboard cutout hero...needless to say, I didn't buy a second of the love story. ( )
  Jeslieness | Jan 28, 2016 |
Five tales in this anthology, all related in some way to Lewis Carroll’s Alice, offer readers a glimpse into wonderland . . . .
J. D. Rob’s “Wonderment in Death” finds Eve Dallas investigating the apparent murder/suicide of a brother and sister. It seems like an open-and-shut case, but when Louise and Charles, close friends of the siblings, insist their deaths couldn’t possibly be what they appear to be, Eve discovers that nothing is quite as it seems . . . including the psychic lurking in the background.
With always well-developed characters, a strong sense of place, and an intriguing, suspense-building plot, “Wonderment in Death” is guaranteed to keep readers guessing until the final reveal.

The “In Death” novella is the strongest story in this anthology; others include Mary Blayne’s “Alice and the Earl in Wonderland,” the tale of a couple transported two hundred years into the future while Elaine Fox’s “iLove” weaves a timely and clever modern-day tale as Macy unceremoniously dumps Jeremy over brunch. In disbelief that she could act so casually after their seven months together, Jeremy finds himself shrinking and shrinking until he is sucked into the dating app in his smartphone.
Mary Kay McComas, in “A True Heart,” spins a tale of a two women, Elise and Molly, in search of costumes for a party. But “Candy’s Costumes” is more than it seems and the magical shop helps Elise discover her true self. R. C. Ryan’s fairy tale-like “Fallen” takes Beth from New York to the Highlands on a journey of discovery that ultimately reveals her true home.

Recommended, especially for Eve Dallas fans. ( )
  jfe16 | Jan 12, 2016 |
I am a die hard fan of the Eve Dallas series; and I usually enjoy the anthology titles each year. This one however was kind of a wobbly mess. The Eve Dallas story was good. The final story (Fallen) was good. Everything in between was...meh. ( )
  lesmel | Jan 9, 2016 |
I only read the Robb story; it's worth reading if you want more Eve Dallas. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Dec 4, 2015 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blayney, MaryAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fox, ElaineAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
McComas, Mary KayAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ryan, R.C.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515155470, Mass Market Paperback)

Some of your favorite New York Times bestselling authors present five all-new stories told through the looking glass—including a new Eve Dallas novella!

You’re late for a very important date...

Enter a wonderland of mesmerizing tales. It’s a place that’s neither here nor there, where things are never quite as they seem. Inspired by Lewis Carroll’s whimsical masterpiece, ranging from the impossible to the mad to the curiouser, these stories will have you absolutely off your head.

Don’t be afraid to follow them…

DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 30 Aug 2015 08:42:19 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,079,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible