The Killing Kind by Chris Holm

The Killing Kind

by Chris Holm

This is an enjoyable, time occupying novel. The main plot is Quarry-like in that the main character learns of the assassinations of less than worthy people and then extorts money from them to prevent the assassination (this is revealed early on, so I do not consider it a "spoiler").

Other plot lines in the novel have been told before by other writers with similar characters.

Still, the novel is enjoyable escapism. ( )
  EricEllis | Sep 2, 2017 |
The Killing Kind by Chris Holm
★★★★1/2

From The Book:
Michael Hendricks kills people for money. That aside, he's not so bad a guy. Once a covert operative for a false-flag unit of the US military, Hendricks was presumed dead after a mission in Afghanistan went sideways. He left behind his old life--and beloved fiancee--and set out on a path of redemption...or perhaps one of willful self-destruction.

Now Hendricks makes his living as a hitman entrepreneur of sorts--he only hits other hitmen. For ten times the price on your head, he'll make sure whoever's coming to kill you winds up in the ground instead. Not a bad way for a guy with his skill-set to make a living--but a great way to make himself a target.

My Thoughts:
What surprised me the most about this book was the occasional humor. You wouldn't expect a hitman to be funny. As I read along I saw some similarities of other books I have read in this genre such as Roger Hobbs [Ghostman] or Steve Hamilton's [The Lock Artist]. In many ways Michael Hendricks brings visions of Jack Reacher...the book one, not Tom Cruise:). A hitman who only kills other hitmen makes for a fast paced, original storyline... terrific characters...and a premise that you can't forget. The ending leaves room for a sequel and I really hope that happens. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 27, 2017 |
Chris Holm's 'The Killing Kind' was a challenging read. The excitement level, if you suspend disbelief to the extent that you continue reading, is just high enough to compensate for the thoroughly mediocre writing and preposterous plot. It propelled me through the novel but made me promise myself to not pick up any more in what I'm sure will be a series.

Let's start with the plot: a hitman-with-a-conscience who, get this, only kills other hitmen (who presumably don't have consciences) is being set up for a hit on himself by another mysterious hitman (he has no conscience either, far as I can tell....). If that's not silly enough, the FBI is involved and is also on the scent. As you can imagine, it turns into quite a circus.....

The writing is of what I'd consider to be of the 'thriller-generic' variety- overly dramatic, grammatically OK, nothing whatsoever that would make you think you're reading something by LeCarre, or even Ridley Pearson for that matter. When you see the quality of sentences like "...it was hardly enough to dull the diamond edge of his focus" over and over again, you'll know what I mean.

So, enough action to keep reading but, in the end, spoiled by a goofy plot. ( )
  gmmartz | Sep 19, 2016 |
It’s a killer concept. Unleash a righteous assassin, a hitman who exclusively stalks his own species, other hired guns. Let him loose against mafia mobsters in a perilous poacher-turned-gamekeeper role reversal. So far, so many deservedly dead bodies… but there’s more. There’s always another predator further up the foodchain, so in steps an ultimate über-assassin, hired by the bad guys to seek and destroy the good guy while he’s still killing bottom-feeder bad guys.

With such a rip-snortingly entertaining idea, what could possibly go wrong?

Well, you could bog down the first third of the story with some uncharacteristically cumbersome exposition which slows the action to a feeble crawl. This is weird because author Chris Holm is entirely capable of spinning a satisfying dance of seven veils, as he so ably demonstrates in his excellent ‘Collector’ series of spookynatural noir.

Once you get past the ‘secret origin’ stage, the action kicks off and the real fun lets rip. And boy, the second half of his book is a LOT of fun. Great pace, a clever and not unduly intricate plot; genuine tension, cracking attention to detail and lots of satisfying, nitty-gritty tradecraft. There are two stoating action set-pieces and some exquisitely executed sneaking-about sequences, matched with an intriguing cast of supporting characters – especially the female FBI agent.

Best of all, the villain is gloriously bad. A true sociopath, a man who’d extract information and extinguish the spark of life for his own amusement. He’s the perfect predator to turn the tables on the protagonist. The final third of the book is the absolute inverse of the opening chapters as the conflict between the two killers builds to its conclusion. Once you pass the midway point you’ll want to read right through to the final menacing moment.

So this could’ve been the ultimate hard-boiled pulp fiction for crime-thriller fans. If you can get past the slow start (and you do need to read it all because later plot points don’t make sense without that earlier info) then The Killing Kind is a hugely rewarding thriller. But it was touch ‘n’ go for me – I came perilously close to packing it in at one point…
8/10

I ramble on in even more detail about this at:
https://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress.com/2015/08/24/the-killing-kind-hitmen-who-hunt-their-own/ ( )
  RowenaHoseason | Jun 22, 2016 |
I loved the author's Collector series so this was a must try for me. It did take me awhile to get to it, but I am glad I finally did. A great read for thriller fans who don't mind a little moral ambiguity in their lead characters. I can't wait for the sequel Red Right Hand which comes out in September! ( )
  JJbooklvr | Mar 3, 2016 |

A hitman who only kills other hitmen winds up a target himself.

Michael Hendricks kills people for money. That aside, he's not so bad a guy.

Once a covert operative for a false-flag unit of the US military, Hendricks was presumed dead after a mission in Afghanistan went sideways. He left behind his old life--and beloved fiancée--and set out on a path of redemption...or perhaps one of willful self-destruction.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 05:07:26 -0400)

A former covert operative for the U.S. Army, Michael Hendricks becomes a hitman who only kills other hitmen, until he winds up a target himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,443,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible