Quixote: The Novel and the World by Ilan…

Quixote: The Novel and the World (2015)

by Ilan Stavans

I am so glad that I read this while I was reading Don Quixote. I was already growing to love the novel but now I am sure that it belongs on my list of favorite novels of all time.

I enjoyed all of the different aspects of Don Quixote and Cervantes effects on the world at large throughout history and had no idea that Shakespeare and Cervantes lived at the same time--let alone died almost at the same time.

I'm glad to have read this novel and I'm sure that I will revisit it again the next time I read Don Quixote.

Re-read with TS before embarking on reading Don Quixote together! ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |

A groundbreaking cultural history of the most influential, most frequently translated, and most imitated novel in the world.

The year 2015 marks the four hundredth anniversary of the publication of the complete Don Quixote of La Mancha―an ageless masterpiece that has proven unusually fertile and endlessly adaptable. Flaubert was inspired to turn Emma Bovary into “a knight in skirts.” Freud studied Quixote’s psyche. Mark Twain was fascinated by it, as were Kafka, Picasso, Nabokov, Borges, and Orson Welles. The novel has spawned ballets and operas, poems and plays, movies and video games, and even shapes the identities of entire nations. Spain uses it as a sort of constitution and travel guide; and the Americas were conquered, then sought their independence, with the knight as a role model.

In Quixote, Ilan Stavans, one of today’s preeminent cultural commentators, explores these many manifestations. Training his eye on the tumultuous struggle between logic and dreams, he reveals the ways in which a work of literature is a living thing that influences and is influenced by the world around it.

8 pages of illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 30 Jul 2015 07:10:08 -0400)

"In Quixote, eminent cultural commentator Ilan Stavans explores the indefatigable knight's impact on our world across a spectrum of languages, politics, genres, art forms, and modes of entertainment"--Dustjacket.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,486,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible