Blood Orange (China Bayles Mystery) by Susan…

Blood Orange (China Bayles Mystery) (2016)

by Susan Wittig Albert

Kelly Kaufman, a guest at China Bayles’s cottage/B&B, goes missing and a short while later contacts China wanting to talk about a “murder.” But Kelly is in a horrible car accident before she arrives for their conversation … and winds up on life support with not much hope of recovery.

Kelly is a hospice nurse and China believes the “murder” may be related to her work. China becomes more and more convinced when the woman who lent Kelly her car – the one she was driving at the time of the accident – tells China about her conversations with Kelly. With her private-eye husband away on a case, China has plenty of time to do some snooping. And new evidence leads China into danger before the mystery is resolved.

The China Bayles mysteries are among my LONG-time favorites and Blood Orange did not disappoint. I can always count on Susan Wittig Albert to get it all right: plotting, writing, characters, dialogue. ( )
  NewsieQ | Oct 30, 2016 |
China Bayles finds herself involved with a young nurse from Hospice. Kelly, the nurse has something she wants China's help with but is killed on her way to share.
China traces back with the help of her friends and at the same time worries about her husband gone on a mysterious mission. All is resolved as usual. The real plus to these books is the expert information on herbs, in this book, to make beer and other orange things. The author is a recognized expert on herbs and flowers and the reader will learn as well as be entertained. Sharon lives between Fredericksburg and Austin and has a wonderful Facebook page. ( )
  oldbookswine | Jul 20, 2016 |
A couple of murders, and Medicare fraud keep China busy while McQuaid is away. Lovely Texas Hill country setting and the herbal information is always interesting. ( )
  pennykaplan | May 9, 2016 |
The China Bayles series still remains one of my very favourites. I enjoyed this latest addition, but maybe not quite as much as most of the others in this series. China is always so level-headed in so many ways, but it sometimes stretches credulity how she lets herself get off on her own in what she knows perfectly well, are dangerous situations. In this book she finds herself locked in with a particularly dangerous and unpredictable killer. Luckily for her and for her readers, all comes out well in the end, This book has China trailing a particularly nasty duo who are making a fortune on medicare fraud. We have all the wonderful accompanying cast - Ruby, Smart Cookie, McQuaid, Blackie, and a particularly appealing Basset puppy called Winchester. I love China and her gang, and I love Pecan Springs (a little town in Texas where China and Ruby have their businesses. I look forward to the next one. ( )
  Romonko | Apr 25, 2016 |
Blood Orange by Susan Wittig Albert is twenty-fourth book in China Bayles Herbal Mysteries. China Bayles is renting Thymes and Seasons Cottage (in Pecan Springs, Texas and behind China’s herb shop Thyme and Seasons) to Kelly Kaufman. China gets a call that Kelly missed an appointment with her attorney and could she check on her. China checks out the cottage. All of Kelly's belongings are still there (including wallet, keys, and car), but no Kelly. It turns out that Kelly knows something that someone does not want getting out. Someone is trying to kill her, so Kelly decided to go into hiding. Kelly wants China to investigate. On her way to meet China to give her information, Kelly is in an accident (well, not really an accident). China wants to find out who is after Kelly. Will she be able to find the culprit in time?

Blood Orange is an engaging novel. There are some slow parts and it does go on a little too long. But, the book contains good characters and a nice setting. Blood Orange is a part of a series, but you can read the novel without having enjoyed the previous books (though you will want to go back and read them). The book contains some interesting information on herbs and their uses (besides cooking). I give Blood Orange 4 out of 5 stars. The mystery was complicated, but I found it easy to solve (I was really hoping for a surprise twist). There are quite a few characters in the novel. I just gave you a description of the main event in the book. There are, though, a couple of different side stories (including China thinking her husband might be off having an affair). You will have to read Blood Orange to find out what it going on in Pecan Springs, Texas.

I received a complimentary copy of Blood Orange from NetGalley in exchange for an honest evaluation of the novel! ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Apr 10, 2016 |
"Excuse me." I put down my teacup.  "I don't think I heard that right, Ruby."

In the newest China Bayles Mystery in the New York Times bestselling series, China comes to the aid of a nurse who ends up in the hospital...

It’s mid-April in Pecan Springs, and China is renting her guest cottage to Kelly Kaufman, who needs a temporary place to live as she contends with a very acrimonious divorce from her husband Rich. One nasty point of dispute is her part ownership of the Comanche Creek Brewing Company, which she is refusing to sell.

At the same time, as a nurse employed by a local hospice, Kelly has discovered instances of suspicious practices. Even more disturbing, she suspects that a patient was murdered. Kelly’s knowledge could be dangerous, and she wants to get guidance from China on what to do.

But on her way to China’s house, Kelly is forced off the road and critically injured, putting her in a medically induced coma. Now it’s up to China to determine who wanted her out of the picture. Was it her soon-to-be ex? His new lover—who happens to be the sister of China’s friend Ruby? Or someone connected with the corruption at the hospice?

China owes it to her friend to uncover the truth—but she may be putting her own life at risk...

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:51:27 -0400)

Susan Wittig Albert is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible