Once Upon a Dream: A Twisted Tale by Liz…

Once Upon a Dream: A Twisted Tale

by Liz Braswell

Though Once Upon A Dream seemed to be written well, I greatly struggled just getting through the book. I have never been much of a Sleeping Beauty fan so that may have made it more difficult for me to get through ( )
  DJLunchlady91404 | Mar 24, 2019 |
A great premise, but it's still missing something (this YA novel is the second in the series). Parts follow closely to the Disney movie and I like how the author isn't afraid to diverge, but the characters need a little more development. I plan to read the next one (because Beauty and the Beast is my favorite) to see if the writer lives up to her potential. For fans of darker fairy tale adaptations.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Jul 17, 2016 |
I liked this one much better than A Whole New World, the first in this series, which took on Disney’s Aladdin. (I review it here) Just to refresh your memory, these books take the classic Disney movies and say “What if...?” What if one thing had changed at a pivotal moment?
In this case, the question is, “What if Maleficent didn’t quite die when Phillip stabbed her in dragon form?”

At first, Aurora is annoying—listless, uncaring, just drifting through life. She has no real personality. But, as she discovers just what is going on, she develops drive and purpose.

Better still is the relationship between Aurora and Phillip. She begins to question how they instantly fell in love, and why. She isn’t satisfied with his loving her because she was happy, or beautiful. He wants him to see more in her and, through their shared experiences in defeating Maleficent once and for all, he does. For those who know my antipathy to “insta-love”, you’ll understand just why this is so satisfying for me.

If I hadn’t liked this “Twisted Tale” so much, I doubt I would have been willing to give the next installment a chance. As it is, I’m looking forward to it.

Possible Objectionable Material:
Violence, scary situations. Aurora and Phillip share a bed, but in the ways of knights, he places his sword between them because, well, because that’s what chivalry does.

Who Might Like This Book:
Disney movie fans. Those who like alternate takes on familiar tales. It’s definitely appropriate for the suggested age range, but older people (like me) can enjoy it, too.

This review is also at http://biblioquacious.blogspot.com/2016/05/another-twist-on-disney.html

Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC. ( )
  swingdancefan | May 31, 2016 |
Like the first book in this series this one took a lot of reading to get firmly ensconced into the story. It's not the author's fault though, but the kind of book it is. It takes the Disney movie Sleeping Beauty and asks the 'What if' question of: What if when Prince Phillip kissed Aurora she didn't wake up, and instead he fell asleep.

It's a great what if question. But not only have I seen the Sleeping Beauty movie, but now there's also the Sleeping Beauty version of the story that's on TV in Once Upon a Time, the one that was sorta in The Descendants (and the accompanying media tie in novel), and of course the amazing movie Maleficent. So, when I was reading at the beginning all those different versions of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale were fighting for supremacy along with the story that was on the page.

Once I finally tamed the other stories in my head though, I really liked this one. I thought that the characters were all very distinct and that the balance that Braswell had between a more modern Aurora and the original Aurora from the movie was really good and even. Some of the weirder (in the present time) parts of the original movie were nicely addressed by this story.

It was another quite fun Twisted Tale, and I really do hope that these keep getting written/made!

I got this advanced galley through Netgalley on behalf of Disney Press. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 1, 2016 |

In an alternate take on the classic fairy tale, the prince falls asleep and Aurora must escape the magical world created in her own dreams.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,766,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible