Crosstalk by Connie Willis

Crosstalk

by Connie Willis

Briddey Flannigan is thrilled when her boyfriend, Trent, proposes that they both undergo a relatively new and popular surgical procedure that enhances one’s ability to experience a romantic partner’s feelings. Sure, it’s literally brain surgery, but who wouldn’t want to share such an emotionally significant moment as a marriage proposal at a deeper level? Ignoring the protests of her intrusive family members and the eccentric tech guy (C.B.) at work, she seizes the opportunity to have the procedure ahead of schedule. She is able to do so secretly and must continue to keep it secret, which is no small task given the total lack of boundaries among her family members (who call and text frequently and have keys to her apartment) and the high-functioning gossip mill at work, where both she and Trent are employed. Briddey wakes from surgery and eagerly seeks out her new emotional bond to Trent; instead, she discovers that she is connected to C.B.! With C.B. as her only possible confidant, Briddey is desperate to get connected to the right guy before any of the growing number of secrets she is protecting are exposed, but is that even possible? "Crosstalk" is a delightful blend of sci-fi and witty romantic comedy that explores the potential dangers of the increased connectivity that technology can provide. It wrestles with significant questions relating to technology, interpersonal connections, and privacy with humor, heart, and a bit of satire for good measure. I appreciated how the personal, workplace, and family drama contributed to the escalating stakes without feeling contrived and the care taken to develop key relationships in the book. The whip-smart dialogue is the icing on the cake. Fans of Rainbow Rowell (particularly Attachments), "The Circle" by Dave Eggers, Nora Ephron movies, and classic screwball comedies (such as "His Girl Friday") are sure to enjoy this book.

Rachel H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was a fun book. A bit predictable, but I can't fault that too much. I also thought some of the scientific explanations could have used some more thinking but overall as a entertaining story it gets good marks. I enjoyed the charm of C.B. He was probably my favorite character. I will admit that the beginning of the story is very busy. I almost put the book down because I've been having a stressful few weeks at work and I didn't want to read about someone else's mundane stress. Luckily, I stuck through it and after a few chapters it settles down a bit. But talking about too much communication? There was entirely too much of it in the first few chapters - which I think was the point. Unless that's how Willis perceives the world, and if that's the case, I'll just say I am fine with my introverted ways. I am not interested in interacting with a world where we only communicate superficially through phones and email and texts. Anyways, it's a entertaining book. ( )
  Kassilem | Sep 15, 2017 |
Took me a while to get into this one, and put it down more than once but I slowly warmed to the characters & concepts. Once I got past the 35% mark, I lost a lot of sleep by getting sucked into the Act 2 twists & having to finish the book in one night.

I received this via NetGalley for a fair review.

Spoilers below in an aside to the author

Ms Willis, Maeve needs her own spin off novella for a YA market! Imagine the possibilities of her adjusting to middle school with all you've built into her! ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Sadly, and unexpectedly, contrived and tedious (and I'm a Connie Willis fan). ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Utter crap. I simply loved her time travel books. But this one simply sucked. ( )
  mdagtek | May 31, 2017 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"In Ireland the inevitable never happens
and the unexpected constantly occurs."

John Pentland Mahaffy
"In every crowd are certain persons who seem just like the rest, yet they bear amazing messages."

Antoine de St. Exupery, Night Flight
"Listen up."

Ghost Town
To the inimitable - and irreplaceable - Mary Stewart
By the time Briddey pulled into the parking garage at Commspan there were forty-two text messages on her phone.

Briddey is about to get exactly what she thinks she wants ...Briddey is a high-powered exec in the mobile phone industry. Other people develop the product, she oversees it. From concept ('anything to beat the new smart phone') to delivery. And she works with her wonderful partner, Trent. They've been together for six magical weeks, in a whirlwind of flowers, dinners, laughter and now comes the icing on the cake: not a weekend away or a proposal but something even better. An EDD. A procedure which will let them sense each other's feelings. Trent doesn't just want to tell her how much he loves her - he wants her to feel it. Everything is perfect. The trouble is, Briddey can't breathe a word of it to anyone (difficult, when the whole office is guessing) until she's had two minutes to call her family. And they're hounding her about the latest family drama, but when they find out about the EDD - which they will - they'll drop everything to question the life out of her. And if they see it online first then she'll have to explain why she didn't trust them to begin with. And it might just be easier to have the procedure done now and explain later. Only, to top it all off, Apple are poised to deliver an amazing new product and her company, Commsplan, has to be one step ahead ...if she can only persuade their resident inventor, C. B., to drop his crazy ideas about a 'privacy phone' with its 'do not disturb' settings, and focus on what people really want: more efficient, instinctive and immediate ways to communicate. The race is on: not just for new, cutting-edge technology, but also for a shred of privacy in a public world and - for Briddey - a chance for love at the heart of it all. This is a brilliant, heart-warming romantic comedy from one of the wittiest and wisest of our authors. Written with a light touch and a smile, we're swept up in Briddey's romance - and into the difficulties of a world just one technological step away from our own, as technology and social media blur (or indeed remove) the line between personal and public. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face, this made-for-movie story is a near-perfect summer read. Winner of the Hugo Award 1993 Winner of the Nebula Award 1993 "A tour de force" - New York Times Book Review "Ambitious, finely detailed and compulsivly readable" - Locus "It is a book that feels fundamentally true; it is a book to live in" - Washington Post

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 31 Dec 2015 20:14:40 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,540,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible