Closer to the Chest by Mercedes Lackey

This has a real attempt at a thriller plot and read fairly well without too much cuteness. Of course our hero can do anything, but he’ll never be smug about it. ( )
  quondame | Dec 31, 2017 |
Closer to the Chest - Mercedes Lackey
Start to finish, this one stayed true to protagonist Mags and the Valdemar universe.

A solid storyline -- unlike parts of previous books that had a kajillion raised and dropped plot points, deluge of new characters taking away from our main ones, main characters acting out of character, ...

Another page-turner read for me. The villainy that reared up in this one hardly as world-ending dire -- new sect encouraging misogyny and one misigynistic criminal -- and not that believable for Valdemar lost it a bit for me (I'm on the fence if "well done, hear, hear, pass the ammunition" or cheap plot point given the makeup of author's fanbase — possibly even response to objections by fans on how out-of-characteristically some women were treated/used in last volumes).

Not sure if this completes Mag's books or not. ( )
  Spurts | May 24, 2017 |
Nice. It starts out very slow (which I enjoyed) - Mags and Amily dealing with petty stuff, mostly. Then things snowballed a little. It's a bit wish-fulfillment - kill off the MRA attitude before it becomes entrenched - and I don't quite get what the High Priest thought he was getting out of it. Presumably something, since he lent a hand on so many levels, but I don't see what - what his goal was. That aside - the story worked, some great new characters, Mags and Amily and Dallen and Rolan working together and with others. This series is so much more Herald-y than Mags' first - I'm enjoying it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 13, 2017 |
I wish I could free myself of the feeling that all the misogyny in this book wasn't a comment on the recent US election.
  MarthaJeanne | Feb 8, 2017 |
This book took a lot of effort to finish. Honestly I begin to do a little skimming 2/3 of the way through just so I could finish it. The problem with this series is that it just isn't very exciting. While there is always something going on here, it never feels like much is going on. I haven't quite given up on the series but it is becoming a near thing. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 30, 2016 |

Was inspired by

Herald Mags, the King of Valdemar's Herald Spy, has been developing a network of young informants who operate on the streets and also in the halls and kitchens of the wealthy and highborn. His wife Amily is King's Own Herald and finds it useful to be underestimated for there are dark things stirring in the shadows of Haven. Someone has discovered many secrets of the women of the Court and the Collegia and is using those secrets to terrorize and bully them. Mags and Amily will have to track down someone who leaves few clues behind.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,506,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible