Night School by Lee Child

Night School

by Lee Child

The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Atomic terror threat in the 90s

English (44)  Dutch (1)  All (45)
Always a puzzle wrapped up in enigma, and disguised in many ways. Reacher is faced with another problem, this time whilst still an MP. An overheard conversation in Hamburg has Military Police, CIA and FBI working together to determine what the substance of that conversation might be.
Reacher’s logical approach as usual begins to bear fruit, some progress in investigation being made, whilst the conspirators that do exist are revealed quite quickly to us, although not to Reacher, no idea is given as to what they are interested in buying or using.
Dogged tenacity, persuasive arguments, co-operation with the German police begin to lead to a solution, but then a third party becomes involved, and they completely muddy the waters.
This is an intriguing novel. Reacher uses much more brain power than brawn, although he does have to face some difficult situations, supported by one or two of his colleagues at times. As usual I was held by the developments in the story. This pattern of Lee Child’s is one I have yet to tire of, although I did feel that the denouement was a little too straightforward. Still can’t wait for the next one.
PS – I think Reacher is too young in this episode for Tom Cruise to play the part if it did go to film! ( )
  Alan1946 | Sep 16, 2017 |
I don't think a Jack Reacher novel can ever be bad, but this is probably the one I have liked the least. I just found it largely boring, it seemed like one of the authors short Jack Reacher stories extended to novel length with a variety of methods to make the hunt for Reacher more difficult than it normally would have been just to reach enough pages of story. ( )
  TheBishop34 | Sep 10, 2017 |
A very tight plot and it was interesting that the ending mirrored the beginning.

Jack Reacher expects to get a plum assignment after a very successful operation. Instead, he gets assigned to go to school--something he quickly figures out is a cover for a covert operation.

This is the first Jack Reacher novel I've read, but I didn't have any problems with following along, which is a credit to the author. I was surprised that Reacher relies so much on hunches and instincts to resolve this case, though I can't say if that is his usual MO or if it just happened to be how this particular case went. In this book, he guessed right more often than he guessed wrong--or so it seemed--at least toward the end. Realistically, that would be hard to sustain over a series and keep it believable, for me at least. As is usual for this genre, Reacher sleeps with someone--in this case his boss--I felt like that was there because fans expect at least one sexual encounter. It didn't really seem to advance the plot in this book and probably could have been left out of the book entirely without really compromising the plot. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Aug 21, 2017 |
Jack Reacher collaborates! His colleagues are members of the NSA, FBI, and CIA. This novel is set in the past, when Reacher was still in the military. Naturally, he doesn't take orders very well. But his investigative brilliance saves the day. I found much too much talk and far too little action or suspense. It's as if Child decided that he wanted to compete with John Grisham;. he loses in that contest. The few violent incidents are phoned in; they could have been excerpted from any prior Reacher title. Reacher's singular attraction is that he is always alone, always forced to defend a concept or individuals by himself against overwhelming odds. Night School is atypical--and a disappointment. ( )
  neddludd | Aug 12, 2017 |
Fans of this long running and popular series know Jack Reacher as a loner who thumbs his away across America with only a toothbrush. He always manages to end up in some sort of trouble. In the 21st book of the series, Night School, Jack is still an active duty Army member serving in the Military Police. He's just been awarded a medal for a successful mission and he's ordered to Washington DC for some sort of school.

He realizes there are only two other men in the school, one from the FBI and one from the CIA. Newly discovered intelligence indicates “the American wants a hundred million dollars”. Reacher needs to find out who the American is, what he is selling, and how to stop him before it's too late.. Each man goes about investigating things their own way. Reacher, though, recruits the intelligent and competent Sergeant Frances Neagley to assist him. What a great character.....I would love to see her in her own series.

This was not my favorite Jack Reacher book and, while I was intrigued by the young Jack, I prefer the drifter Jack a bit more. I feel like Night School was more of a police procedural than than the usual action style novel. Nevertheless it was still an enjoyable book and I look forward to more in the series.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Dedicated with great appreciation to the men and women around the world who do this stuff for real.
In the morning they gave Reacher a medal, and in the afternoon they sent him back to school.

Discover the thriller series that Janet Maslin of The New York Times calls “utterly addictive.” After eleven straight #1 bestsellers, Lee Child takes readers to school with the most explosive Jack Reacher novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 14 Feb 2016 16:02:14 -0500)

"Discover the thriller series that The New York Times calls "utterly addictive." After eleven straight global #1 bestsellers, Lee Child sends readers back to school with the most explosive Jack Reacher novel yet. It's 1996, and Reacher is still in the army. In the morning they give him a medal, and in the afternoon they send him back to school. That night he's off the grid. Out of sight, out of mind. Two other men are in the classroom--an FBI agent and a CIA analyst. Each is a first-rate operator, each is fresh off a big win, and each is wondering what the hell they are doing there. Then they find out: A Jihadist sleeper cell in Hamburg, Germany, has received an unexpected visitor--a Saudi courier, seeking safe haven while waiting to rendezvous with persons unknown. A CIA asset, undercover inside the cell, has overheard the courier whisper a chilling message: "The American wants a hundred million dollars." For what? And who from? Reacher and his two new friends are told to find the American. Reacher recruits the best soldier he has ever worked with: Sergeant Frances Neagley. Their mission heats up in more ways than one, while always keeping their eyes on the prize: If they don't get their man, the world will suffer an epic act of terrorism. From Langley to Hamburg, Jalalabad to Kiev, Night School moves like a bullet through a treacherous landscape of double crosses, faked identities, and new and terrible enemies, as Reacher maneuvers inside the game and outside the law. Praise for #1 bestselling author Lee Child and his Jack Reacher series "Reacher [is] one of this century's most original, tantalizing pop-fiction heroes."--The Washington Post"--"In the morning, they gave Reacher a medal. That night, they sent him back to school. With eleven straight #1 New York Times bestsellers and over 100 million books sold, Jack Reacher is "the strongest brand in publishing" (Forbes Magazine). And Night School, with Reacher back in uniform, will be the biggest Reacher adventure of them all"--… (more)

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,614,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible