Frost Like Night (Snow Like Ashes) by Sara…

Frost Like Night (Snow Like Ashes)

by Sara Raasch

mom (112)

This book was wonderful and emotional! I loved it so much. Heart wrenching and beautiful in so many ways! I'm so sad that it's over but so glad that it happened ( )
  SophieElaina | Mar 27, 2017 |
The main characters of this book are Meira, Mather, Ceridwen, and Jesse. Meira and Mather are from winter which was taken over by Angra and Cordell and they are secretly in love but when Meira has to sacrifice herself to save everyone Mather reveals that he loves her. Ceridwen is from summer and Jesse is from Ventralli they are in love with each other but Ceridwen is upset with him for marring another women for years and then he divorced to get married to Ceridwen. Meira goes to Paisly to learn how to fight against Angra but she learns that you can only use defense without feeding the decay. They all meet up in Autumn and devise a plan to defeat Angra and destroy magic. In the end they all survive even Meira and all of Primoria signs a peace treaty to help rebuild the world.

This book was so much fun to read and I really enjoyed it. I recommend reading this at the age of twelve and up for somethings in this book might give younger kids a image that will scare them for a while. Other than that this book was super fun to read and if she would make a book where magic returns to fight back against the land of Primoria I would definitely read it. The reason I loved this book was because of the two love stories involved in this book and the epic battles fought. The best part of this book in my opinion was the last battle where Ceridwen had been pumped full of the decay but she still fought and eventually killed Raelyn (Jesse ex wife). I probably stayed up till 10:30 reading this book on school nights. If I could of changed one thing in the book it probably would be to include Rares and Oana more in the book cause they only helped train Meira and they came in the last battle to help with the Order of the lust-rate. Other than that this book was very interesting to read. ( )
  AdamC.B4 | Jan 9, 2017 |
Angra is alive, his Decay is spreading—and no one is safe. Meira will do anything to save her world. With Angra trying to break through her mental defenses, she desperately needs to learn to control her own magic—so when the leader of a mysterious Order from Paisly offers to teach her, Meira jumps at the chance. But the true solution to stopping the Decay lies in a labyrinth deep beneath the Season Kingdoms. To defeat Angra, Meira will have to enter the labyrinth, destroy the very magic she’s learning to control-- and make the biggest sacrifice of all. Mather will do anything to save his queen. He needs to rally the Children of the Thaw, find Meira—and finally tell her how he really feels. But with a plan of attack that leaves no kingdom unscathed and a major betrayal within their ranks, winning the war—and protecting Meira—slips farther and farther out of reach. Ceridwen will do anything to save her people. Angra had her brother killed, stole her kingdom, and made her a prisoner. But when she’s freed by an unexpected ally who reveals a shocking truth behind Summer’s slave trade, Ceridwen must take action to save her true love and her kingdom, even if it costs her what little she has left. As Angra unleashes the Decay on the world, Meira, Mather, and Ceridwen must bring the kingdoms of Primoria together…or lose everything. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Dec 27, 2016 |
This is the third and final book in the Frost Like Night series. I enjoyed it but not as much as the first two books in the series. There wasn’t a lot here that I found surprising and the majority of the book is focused on the coming (and final) war between Angra and the other Kingdoms. I am not a huge fan of “war” books in general.

I listened to this on audiobook and it was okay. I liked that the three different viewpoints (Mather, Meira, and Ceridwen) are done by different narrators. However, most of the book was from Meira’s POV and I thought her narrator was a bit annoying to listen to; she was just a little too desperate and dramatic sounding about everything.

The book itself is fairly predictable, but I enjoyed the journey. I do like that Meira was smart and decided to take time off to train in her abilities (rather than instantly learn how to use them). Although the fact that Meira masters both her emotional issues and her magic abilities in a week is pretty unbelievable.

We hear quite a bit from Ceridwen in this book as well. I enjoyed her as a character and thought she counterbalanced Mather and Meira’s stories nicely.

I continued to be impressed by the world-building here; this world blew me away in the first book and the impact is less now that we are familiar with this world but it is still av ery creative world that I enjoyed reading about. I am not going to say much about the whole Mather, Theron, Meira thing because of spoilers.

Again, I don’t know if it was the narration or what but everything in this book was just a bit too dramatic for me. There are lots of speeches by the characters and you get to listen to them angst over everything that is happening over and over again. This was probably what annoyed me the most about this book.

Overall this was a good conclusion to the series. Things are wrapped up nicely and readers should be happy with how everything ties up. I do think it got a bit wordy and overly dramatic at times; there are a lot of speeches and long ramblings by characters on their thoughts and feelings about things that didn’t need to be there. I would recommend this series to fantasy fans; the first two books in the series were spectacular and this one (while not as good) did a good job of wrapping things up.
  krau0098 | Oct 30, 2016 |
Too many times books two and three are not as good as the first. In my opinion, that is the case with this series. It seemed to drag on and on. I enjoyed the story, yet I'm glad it's over, and I can move to another book. 3 of 5 stars. ( )
  stevealtier | Oct 25, 2016 |

"The final book in the Snow Like Ashes series, a high-fantasy adventure following Meira as she tries to defeat the evil king of Spring"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible