Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats by…

Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats (2001)

by Alyssa Satin Capucilli

Other authors: Joan Rankin (Illustrator)

Enjoyed the illustrations in this children's book even more than the story. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Mrs. McTats lived very happily with her cat Abner, in a small cozy cottage on the outskirts of her village. Every morning she would go to market, and every day she would prepare their meal. And then came a scratching at the door, and Basil and Curly walked in. Was there room for two more cats? Of course - the more the merrier! Then the next day, three more cats showed up on the doorstep... and then more after them! Just how many felines was too many...?

As a confirmed cat-lover, one who thinks of "cat lady" as a compliment, I really expected to adore Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats, but somehow, despite its obvious virtues, I just couldn't take it entirely to heart. I think this tale of Mrs. McTats and her growing feline family will probably be very engaging for younger readers, who will enjoy hearing it read aloud, but it didn't do much for me. The illustrations by South African artist Joan Rankin, on the other hand, were quite charming - I loved Abner's dubious expression throughout! I wavered on my star rating with this one, but my enjoyment of the artwork, and my consciousness that I may not have been in the right mood for it, had me settling on three, rather than two stars. Recommended to young cat lovers, and to readers looking for stories that can also be used to introduce the alphabet. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 25, 2013 |
A delightful, rhyming, ABC story about a lady that adopts cats.
  haldemac | Feb 11, 2012 |
Mrs. McTats lives in a small little cottage with one cat. Then as the days go by more and more cats scratch at the door to join them. As they make their way in she names them, each starting with a letter from the alphabet. She ends up with 25 cats with a name from A to Y, then one little puppy scratches at the door and she names him zoom. Great book to use to teach the alphabet and counting. ( )
  ktinney2315937 | Sep 21, 2011 |
Mrs. McTats starts off just having one cat. Each time she goes to the market there seems to be more cats waiting at her front door. She takes them all in until there are 25 of them. She names each one of them starting with a and ending with z.
This book took me by surprise. I had no idea that it was about the ABC's. I love cats myself but I could not believe that she was taking in all of these cats, and then it tells you at the very end that she lived happily with all her cats a to z. It is very clever.
This could be done with lessons about ABC's and teach children that not only things can start with letters of the alphabet but names can as well. ( )
  ValerieStanley | Feb 15, 2009 |

Alyssa Satin Capucilliprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rankin, JoanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689869916, Paperback)

"In a small, cozy cottage lived Mrs. McTats. She lived all alone, except for one cat." This is only true for a page or two. In time, more and more cats scratch on her door, and somehow, every time, she seems to find room for them. "'Come in, my sweet dears,' said Mrs. McTats. 'I'm sure I've got room for just two more cats. I'll call you Basil, and Curly you'll be. I only had one cat, but now I have three!'" She names them in alphabetical order, from her original, Abner, to the final arrival, number 26--named Zoom. Joan Rankin's endearing illustrations of all the new four-legged family members--along with Mrs. McTats's easy hospitality--will charm the socks off your youngsters so much they won't realize it's an alphabet and counting book combined! (Ages 3 to 7) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:36 -0400)

A woman with a single cat named Abner makes room for twenty-four more cats and a puppy she names Zoom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,334,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible