Iron Gold by Pierce Brown

If you're looking for a story of Darrow you'll be disappointed.

This story is about 25% Darrow and 75% new characters or previously minor characters.

Not only that, but the same tired reset and unwind the main character accomplishments are used in this book as were employed in book 2. That is, somehow all previous accomplishments are destroyed in a moment due to, apparently, popular opinion. What's more,

Darrow has apparently learned nothing from the first three books and ten years of war... ( )
  ChuckMChuck | Oct 8, 2018 |
You know when you read a book that's so good you do one of two things, devour it in one sitting or try to pace yourself because you already cannot stand the thought of it ending? I was the latter. Ever since I read Pierce Brown's first book "Red Rising" I have been obsessed with this series. I think it may have actually taken the place of my first science fiction love, "Dune" by Frank Herbert. This man is an absolute poet with the way he uses words. I would get this feeling in my chest of pure emotion that made me feel as if I were to burst out cheering or crying.
Needless to say, I loved this book. I literally screeched at work when I got the email that I got an ARC of "Iron Gold", and I work in a public library ;)
This story takes up 10 years into the rebellion and Darrow and the remnants of his Howlers have gone against the wishes of the government led by his wife Mustang in a last attempt to end the battle that has raged for years. The story is also told from the point of view of three other characters. One is a new character, a young girl by the name of Lyria. Her family has been rescued from the mines of Mars only to live in a refugee camp forgotten by their saviors. Ephraim, survivor of the original rising, he makes his way through life as a smuggler but will he get drawn into something far bigger than he can imagine? And lastly, Lysander, the heir to the throne of the empire. His grandmother was Octavia au Lune, the Sovereign of the Society. He has been hiding from his birthright but his past may have caught up him anyways.
This book was, as I knew it would be, incredible. I still recommend the Red Rising Trilogy to anyone not fortunate enough to have read them. It will definitely be part of my all time favorite book series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 27, 2018 |
Ten years after the Red Rising trilogy plot ends, this new book revisit our old friends. This time we see the story unfold from four POVs; a red named Lyria, gold heir to the throne Lysander, Holliday’s brother-in-law Ephraim, and of course Darrow.

The novel tackles the impact war has on everyone from the soldiers who fight it to the orphaned children it leaves behind. It was bleak, but good.

“I suppose that is what every man must tell himself in war. That there will be an end, and when it is done, enough of himself will remain. Enough to be a father. A brother. A lover. But we know it isn’t true. Don’t we, Darrow? War eats the victors last.”

“I know it may be impossible to believe now, when everything is dark and broken, but you will survive this pain, little one. Pain is a memory. You will live and you will struggle and you will find joy.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Aug 30, 2018 |
What can I say, other than so not start the series with this book. You will be lost. But having fawned over the last three books, I was ready and enthusiastically engulfed with this book. What’s new is the Multi-POV, which has three storylines that will soon be meshed into one huge plot. I loved the last few chapters, but Legolas is my favorite character - LOVE HER !! ( )
  MrNattania | Jul 29, 2018 |
I LOVE this series. It is the perfect epic fantasy series with flawed heroes placed in impossibly difficult situations. I recommend this to anyone who loves spectacular epic struggles with sacrifice, honor, treachery all mixed in. Can't wait for the next book! ( )
  jmoncton | Apr 20, 2018 |
For the Howlers
Silent, she waits for the sky to fall, standing upon an island of volcanic rock amidst a black sea.

"Ten years after the events of Morning Star, Darrow and the Rising are battling the remaining Gold loyalist forces and are closer than ever to abolishing the color-coded caste system of Society for good. But new foes will emerge from the shadows to threaten the imperfect victory Darrow and his friends have earned"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,417,834 books! | Top bar: Always visible