Head Games: A Novel by Thomas B. Cavanagh

Head Games: A Novel

by Thomas B. Cavanagh

A truly entertaining read. Interesting with a new twist and a “place based” environment that many of us can identify with. This author -like William Kent Krueger gives us the messy family story along with a great read. Reminiscent of the great Charles Willeford’s - Hoke Mosley family problems too and Hokes seedy Miami… with Mike Garrity living in a little cleaner Orlando. Mike has a daughter who does not like him… maybe because he does not know how to be a friend… it’s interesting and real as he learns to become one. As a cancer survivor myself I love that he says “ I have a tumor in my head. I call him Bob” I can identify with the dialog he has with his daughter around cancer – “You’re not even going to try to fight?” … This time it was my turn to look down on my plate. How do you explain to a fifteen year old- your daughter- that there really was not much worth fighting for? You had burned out at your job five years ago. The cancer was a blessing because it gave you an excuse to quit. You suffered through two failed marriages and finally accepted that marriage as a institution did not work for you. You lived in a shitty little apartment that was no bigger than the one you had at college. You had no investments. No significant savings. No obligation. Parents long dead No siblings. Your only child did not like you too much. The thought of trying to salvage the relationship with her seemed way too hard when you had another thirty years of life to endure. Now that it was down to a few months, it just was not worth the effort.” Plus there is a great story with kidnapping and a little mayhem. Well worth a look. ( )
  ckNikka | Jul 24, 2009 |

"I have a tumor in my head. I call it Bob . . ."

With two ex-wives, a fifteen-year-old daughter who hates him, and a soon-to-be-fatal brain tumor nicknamed Bob, retired police detective Mike Garrity doesn't have a lot to live for. He's resigned himself to spending his last months alone, until an old colleague offers him a chance to go out with a bang, leave his daughter with an inheritance, and maybe even earn her respect.
Twenty-two year old TJ Sommerset is a member of the hit boy band Boyz Klub, a millionaire, and missing-in-action, putting at risk a world tour and millions in endorsements. He's also the idol of Mike's teenage daughter, Jennifer. So when Boyz Klub's frantic manager hires Mike to locate his golden goose, Mike's all too happy to make one last attempt to impress Jennifer. However, it isn't long before Mike discovers that there are other people looking for TJ as well. And once a headless corpse shows up, it's clear that they're not just after him for his autograph.
Fast-paced and acidly funny, Head Games sends up the best (and the worst) of Orlando's entertainment industry, marking Thomas B. Cavanagh as a name to watch in the world of Florida crime fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:18 -0400)

Facing a lonely end to his life due to a brain tumor, retired police detective Mike Garrity is offered a chance to restore himself in the eyes of his estranged daughter by investigating the disappearance of the frontman in her favorite boy band.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible