Plantzilla Goes to Camp (Paula Wiseman…

Plantzilla Goes to Camp (Paula Wiseman Books)

by Jerdine Nolen

Other authors: David Catrow (Illustrator)

252428,870 (4)None

Summary: This children's book is about a young boy named Mortimer whose parents signed him up for summer camp at Camp Wannaleavee. He does not want to go because he has to leave his pet plantzilla at home. He loves plantzilla ever since his teacher gave it to him at school. His parents end up winning a trip and have to leave plantzilla in the hands of Mortimer's third grade science teacher. His science teacher does not keep a great eye on plantzilla because plantzilla sneaks out to see Mortimer at camp. Mortimer is so happy and enjoys the rest of camp with plantzilla.

Argument: I thought this children's book was a great book because it was fun, creative, and packed with funny situations. This book is so unrealistic but I think that is what children love about it. The first reason I liked this book was how the text was written. The text in this story was not just words on a page but actual letters and notes from the different characters. Each letter looked like a letter in format and image. Children will not only find this fun and creative but it may influence them to want to write letters as well. The second thing I liked about this book were the illustrations. They were not just for fun but instead influenced the reader's understanding of the text because the text was just letters to another person. The illustrations also amazed me. Every time I looked at the page I would see another funny, creative element that I missed before, there was so much detail.
The main idea of this book is to never underestimate the power of friendship. Mortimer loved plantzilla so much that plantzilla disguised himself and went to find his friend at camp. It also shows that you can be friends with anyone even your pet plant. ( )
  stomas5 | Sep 28, 2014 |
By now it should be apparent that I am a fan of anything Jerdine Nolen touches. Plantzilla’s second book is another story about the bonds of friendship and deals with a heavy topic, bullying. I adore the structure of this book. Each page has a letter, be it from our main character, his parents, or the teacher hired to plant-sit. The font even changes depending on who is sending the letter and how it was written (ex typewriter, hand written, telegraph). It has been a while since I have seen a book presented entirely in letters or notes, and it’s refreshing to read. I also enjoy the vivid illustrations. There is so much hidden in each page: from a note that Plantzilla is sleeping, to the plant itself in the background, rowing a canoe. It may not be explicitly mentioned in the text, but it definitely adds to the story. I would read this multiple times over. ( )
  bexter1 | Oct 29, 2013 |

Jerdine Nolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Catrow, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Mortimer Henryson is thrilled when he is finally accepted by Camp Wannaleaveee, his father's childhood sleepaway camp. Until he reads the camp rule: NO PETS OF ANY KIND ARE ALLOWED!

It breaks Mortimer's heart to leave his beloved Plantzilla behind. And then at camp, Mortimer discovers that the horrible, much-feared bully Bulford Whipland is his roommate. Does Plantzilla have a plan to watch over his friend and save the day?

Friendship and true devotion conquer all in this charmingly madcap picture book by best-loved team of Jerdine Nolen and David Catrow. Everyone should have a friend like Plantzilla --why not adopt a plant of your own?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:08 -0400)

Through a series of letters a boy, his parents, and others discuss Camp Wannaleavee, the camp bully, and Plantzilla, who has been forbidden to come but misses his caretaker and arrives in time to become the camp hero.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,403,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible