A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson

A Taste of Honey

by Kai Ashante Wilson

Series: The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps (2)

*This* is what I wanted The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps to be. Well-written characters, strong story, and rich descriptions which never descend into purple prose. ( )
  amanda4242 | Apr 4, 2018 |
I don't think I got this story. I didn't really get on with the writing - it was confusing at points and got very descriptive and flowery. I didn't really connect with the main character, and the world created didn't really interest me. I just found it confusing and boring. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
I snatched this book up as soon as I saw it at the library -- I'd seen it on a few "diverse sf" lists and was intrigued. I felt a little bit let down by the execution, however.

There were interesting elements, to be sure. There were signs and promises of a complex world that never felt fully realized. The gods that may not be exactly gods. The society that seems to follow traditional rules -- homosexuality if forbidden, proscribed roles for men and women -- yet with subtle, interesting differences -- math is for girls. But there are only tantalizing glimpses of these things, for this story has decided that it's a romance, not a sf story. But I'm not really sure it works as a romance either -- it seemed a bit clunky, uneven to me. It doesn't bask and glory in its love enough, or despair enough in separation.

There are lovely things here, and I'm curious to see where Wilson goes from here, but this is another book I'm very happy to have checked out rather than bought. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

I thought this was a decent enough fantasy story, with the added wrinkle of a same-sex relationship as a key narrative strand, but I was rather put off by the graphic violence and it didn't seem to me to be breaking very new ground. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 18, 2017 |
4.5 stars. I love love love Kai Ashante Wilson's work even though I don't think I always understand it. The worldbuilding here is impeccable. I found A Taste of Honey to be more comprehensible than The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps though the ending may have gone over my head (and accounts for the half star).

I loved the weaving of Aqib's life in the Before and the After; the mingling of fantasy with something like science fiction was done splendidly because that's something I'm not generally fond of. All in all another excellent novella in Tor.com's collection.

I received a copy through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |

Wilson, Kai AshanteAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, TommyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anna S.
to new dimensions of thought, feeling, and art
Backlit in the bright doorway, a silhouette shouted into the nighttime street: "Hey beautiful," and the foreign soldier called again. "Hey!"

Long after the Towers left the world but before the dragons came to Daluça, the emperor brought his delegation of gods and diplomats to Olorum. As the royalty negotiates over trade routes and public services, the divinity seeks arcane assistance among the local gods.

Aqib bgm Sadiqi, fourth-cousin to the royal family and son of the Master of Beasts, has more mortal and pressing concerns. His heart has been captured for the first time by a handsome Daluçan soldier named Lucrio. in defiance of Saintly Canon, gossiping servants, and the furious disapproval of his father and brother, Aqib finds himself swept up in a whirlwind romance. But neither Aqib nor Lucrio know whether their love can survive all the hardships the world has to throw at them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 09 Jun 2016 03:10:53 -0400)

Long after the Towers left the world but before the dragons came to Dalua, the emperor brought his delegation of gods and diplomats to Olorum. As the royalty negotiates over trade routes and public services, the divinity seeks arcane assistance among the local gods. Aqib bgm Sadiqi, fourth-cousin to the royal family and son of the Master of Beasts, has more mortal and pressing concerns. His heart has been captured by a handsome Daluan soldier named Lucrio. They become swept up in a whirlwind romance, but neither Aqib nor Lucrio know whether their love can survive all the hardships the world has to throw at them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,328,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible