The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee

The Thousandth Floor

by Katharine McGee

4763033,561 (3.6)1 / 8
"A thousand-story tower stretching into the sky. A glittering vision of the future where anything is possible -- if you want it enough. Welcome to Manhattan, 2118. A hundred years in the future, New York is a city of innovation and dreams. Everyone there wants something ... and everyone has something to lose." -- From dustjacket.A hundred years in the future, New York is a city of innovation and dreams. Everyone there wants something... and everyone has something to lose. Leda is addicted to drugs she never should have tried, and a boy she never should have touched. Eris faces a betrayal that will tear her family apart. Rylin's job leads to a new romance and a new life-- at the cost of her old one. Watt is a tech genius hired to spy on an upper-floor girl, and caught in a web of lies. Avery is genetically designed to be perfect; she has it all-- except the one thing she can never have.… (more)

English (28)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
A romance/mystery book about a bunch of rich kids in futuristic New York City? Not really the type of book I read, for sure. I first picked this book up becasue I thought the cover was gorgeous. I've done that hundreds of times, bought books with no intentions on reading them simply becasue they were pretty. But then I hit a reading slump and decided to read it. And, honestly, I'm pretty glad I did. I typically don't read series. I prefer standalone books any day. Even if I love the first book in a series, I rarely move on the the second one (it's an issue, I know). But even though this book is not the best one I've ever read, by far, something about it made me want to move one with the series. I loved the characters, even the ones I hated, and the setting was much more interesting than I first thought it would be. I went into this book thinking that there was no way a book set primarily in one building could be that great. However, McGee does an awesome job of creating a vivid picture of life inside the tower. I was also skeptical about the characters at first. I figured they would all be cookie cutter copies of one another. But they all turned out to be pretty diverse and were well developed and complex. I would reccomend this book. ( )
  Raven-Walker | Sep 18, 2019 |
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 The Thousandth Floor - ★★★★
#2 The Dazzling Heights - Not Read Yet
#3 The Towering Sky - Not Read Yet

In the year 2118, in New York City there’s a thousand-story tower. It has everything you could imagine inside, and there is no need for you to ever get out.

The floor you live on represents your status. The higher you live, the more money you have, which means you become more popular. The rich people don’t necessarily hang around with the poor, and gossips spread faster than lightning. The thousandth floor is the top!

But then one night, at a party, one girl falls down from the rooftop of the tower, and the mystery remains – what exactly happened that night?

Despite all the mixed reviews I’ve seen for this book, I actually really enjoyed it! The world is futuristic and I loved reading about all the different cool items and gadgets that the author was writing about.

The main character that we have is Avery Fuller, who lives on the thousandth floor of the tower. She has been genetically designed to only have the best genes from her parents, and is, therefore, perfect. But then – SPOILER ALERT – she is in love with her brother, who is actually adopted, so not her brother. And as weird as it might seem, they are not related in any way, and the romance was beautifully written. And a lot of you people have been giving this book a bad review because of this reason, but some of you also happen to love ”City of Bones” by Cassandra Clare, who features Clary and Jace, who started with the same background?

Apart from Avery, there were many other characters as well, all of them different and all of them unique at the same time. A girl that works as a main in a rich boy’s house, a girl who is best friends with Avery but doesn’t feel she belongs there, a girl that suddenly finds out she is not rich anymore and has to move onto the lower floors of the tower, a hacker who wants to earn money, no matter the what… The book is written from all these character’s points of view, and I loved the variety and also how all these characters connect to each other in an interesting way. They all have goals, dreams, hopes, fears, and everything is surrounded in drama.

If you love Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars or the TV Show Riverdale, I guarantee you will enjoy this one. It’s full of mystery, drama, romance, sci-fi and luxury.

Thank you to my sister, for letting me read this book. I borrowed it from her and will unfortunately have to give it back soon…

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Sep 4, 2019 |
The only thing this book really succeeded in was reaffirming why I hate snobby people and their ceaseless contrivances. If you like Gossip Girl, reality TV, and don't mind fake-politeness, then you'll probably really like this. I, however, really didn't.

This is a science fiction romantic mess about the most convoluted love dodecahedron you've ever heard of. Here's a brief overview:

Person A is in love with person B, who is flirting with person C. Person A and C are best friends. Person D is friends with person A and C, and was in a relationship with person E. Person E is also in a relationship with person F, who's dating person G. Person H is in love with person A, and was hired by person C to spy on person B. Persons A, C, D, F, and H are all main characters.

And that's not even the end of it. It goes on and on and on and on and I hated it.

Oh, and there's pseudo-incest, if you're into that kinda thing. It's honestly not very interesting and doesn't really make any sense, but hey, McGee needed maximum drama, and what's more dramatic than two adopted siblings pining after each other?

Honestly, I only liked one character and she freaking dies at the end, so I'm definitely not going to finish this series. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jul 28, 2019 |
Necesito ya el siguiente, por favor ( )
  dieciseislunas | Jun 2, 2019 |
What truly makes this book obnoxious, unreadable drivel is the fact that just about all of these pretty, rich, spoiled brats' problems are self-induced. I can't keep up with their petty idiocies and inane first world (or dare I say top floor) problems.
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
For Lizzy
The sounds of laughter and music were dying down on the thousandth floor, the party breaking up by bits and pieces as even the rowdiest guests finally stumbled into the elevators and down to their homes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,199,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible