A Baxter Family Christmas by Karen Kingsbury

A Baxter Family Christmas

by Karen Kingsbury

A Baxter Family Christmas is a sweet clean read. A beautiful book to snuggle up with in front of the fireplace, the Christmas lights twinkling in the background, while you sip on a warm mug of hot cocoa (or my favorite… Russian tea). It is like reading a Hallmark movie. FYI… I mean that in the very best sense. I love Hallmark movies!

Surprisingly, for as long as I have been reading Christian fiction, I have never read one of the books about the Baxter family. The odds of my having read one seem high since there are 25 books about the Baxters. Yep, 25 books (and it keeps on growing)! Yet somehow I completely missed out. My unfamiliarity with the Baxters didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the story at all. What it did was peak my interest in them. Maybe it is time for me to begin delving further into their story. If you want to join me, I have the Baxter family story, told throughout a number of series, listed out in order at the bottom of my post. It should keep you busy for awhile ;).

I must send up a snow flurry to mess with this cozy scene. Like many other stories in this genre, Karen Kingsbury’s characters are just a wee bit too perfect. Everything that the characters want to have happened, happens. This Christmas gift is packaged just a bit too perfectly. Even so, I would recommend reading A Baxter Family Christmas (as long as you don't have a tendency to hold yourself up to fictional characters and then find yourself wanting... the author perfected them before placing them on the page... your author is perfecting you day by day).

“For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.”
— Hebrews 10:14 NIV

“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
— Phillippians 3:12-14

Merry Christmas!

As a reviewer for NetGalley, I received a review copy of this book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. My thanks to NetGalley, the author, and publisher.

For all of my reviews visit my blog at http://www.blessedandbewildered.com ( )
  ZoeSchoppa | Feb 24, 2017 |
Karen Kingsbury headed back into the Baxter world again and I am quite happy she did. While I have not enjoyed her other books so much, the Baxter family is her wheelhouse and bread and butter. It isn't superbly written and too much emphasis is put on certain characters (I really don't like Bailey anymore but I digress). However, this was a lighthearted read, just what I needed on Christmas vacation. The redemption story, the familial closeness....it is these things I love.
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Jan 3, 2017 |
Karen Kingsbury has created over the years a fascinating assortment of characters in her books, the first being the famous Baxter family. So it was a delight to know after so many years she was releasing the book Baxter Family Christmas. Within 219 enchanting pages, a reader can quickly catch up with the Baxter family whether a first or long time reader. When John Baxter welcomes a guest to Christmas Eve dinner, the lives of all involved at the table will see the blessings God creates in times of misfortune. ( )
  JCGirl | Jan 2, 2017 |
A special thank you to Howard Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Christian author inspirational storyteller, Karen Kingsbury delivers a special heart-warming holiday tale, A BAXTER FAMILY CHRISTMAS, with a new series (three more, to come) with familiar faces and voices of this much-loved family.

A special holiday story offering love and hope in the least expected places and persons; with some special yummy holiday recipes and fun Baxter family games.

For all the Kingsbury (Baxter) fans, if you have not heard, The Baxter family is coming to TV. The new series focuses on the grown Baxter kids and their families and their ever-changing lives.

THE BAXTER FAMILY CHRISTMAS revolves around a stranger John Baxter has invited for Christmas Eve dinner. Kendra Bryant, the transplant recipient who now has Erin’s heart.

Some members of the family are not happy with this decision and cannot understand the reasoning for bringing this person into their lives, especially at Christmas time. An intimate time for families, not reminders of their grief.

It has been two years since the terrible accident took the life of John Baxter’s daughter Erin, her husband, and three of their four daughters.

The Baxter house in on ten acres, built by John and Elizabeth who died of cancer ten years ago, and the family house is now owned by Ashley and her husband Landon Blake.

This is the place where the family still gathers for their celebrations and Christmas. John is remarried to Elaine, age 59 and they live in Bloomington.

Ashley Baxter Black, age 35 (former black sheep of the family) and her brother Luke, age 33, a lawyer are against this plan. They are all about protecting their ten-year-old niece, Amy. She was the only survivor of the accident.

John, age 60, the family patriarch of the Baxter family, and a doctor; on the other hand, feels they should open their hearts to this woman and her family. He thinks it would please his daughter. Kendra was given a second chance. She wants to connect with this family to bring purpose to her life.

Maddie West, 18-year-old daughter, of Brooke Baxter West is also looking for a Christmas miracle. A boy she never expected to see again. Readers also get to revisit with the Flanigan family, which have been dear friends of the Baxters for years.

Ashley and Landon decide they will leave the family home and spare Amy, for the night so their dad can bring in this woman who has Erin’s heart. Ashley thinks her dad is not being sensitive to Amy’s feelings. However, no one has asked Amy her innermost thoughts.

Maybe she wants to meet this special woman who has been given the gift of life. Her mom’s heart. She must be someone special. Everyone seems to be tiptoeing about the other’s feelings instead of being honest.

Her mom had left a piece of herself behind to help Kendra live. But that wasn’t all. She had left a piece of her heart inside Amy, as well. Her mom’s life was meant to make a difference, even in death.

What starts as a snowy, drama-filled, stressful and uncertain time, turns into the most remarkable and memorable family Christmas! Christmas miracles abound connected by the love of a young girl.

As always, Karen Kingsbury portrays a charming, heart-warming Hallmark Christmas, in an idyllic wintry setting, of two families coming together following tragedy and grief, to celebrate their strong belief in God, family, and redemption.

For those new fans or ones reading Karen's Baxter family for the first time, the author does an amazing job connecting everyone with a family tree of all the members and players, as well as an update of her own family.

On a personal note: My mom was a huge Karen Kingsbury fan and read each one of her books. (I even found her list after she died). She was looking forward to this title. As most of you are aware my mom passed away this August, after a three-year courageous fight with colon cancer. She will not be with us this Christmas for the first time; however, she lives on in each of us. This story is a special one, which my mom would have loved. This inspiring story, is for you, mom!

JDCMustReadBooks ( )
Rating: Five
Review:

"A Baxter Family Christmas" by Karen Kingsbury

My Thoughts...

Karen Kingsbury gives the readers one incredible read in 'A Baxter Family Christmas.' This is definitely one that you will not want to stop until you are finished with this good read. Even though
this was a sad story of how Kendra received Erin Baster's heart the story had such a incredible deliverance of how the father [John Baxter] decides to do something different doing this Christmas . Eve. Now what was that? How will this invitation affect this Baxter family? This is where I say you will have to pick this one up and read it for yourself which will be one good read and also giving the reader a 'Christian' theme. Be ready for a very 'emotional and heartfelt' read that may even present some tears. Some of the characters had me shaking my head but I think in the end I think they are able to understand the big picture through 'real life growth and change.'

This was a beautifully told story that showed when 'they listen to Him and to each other, they are then able to experience this Christmas miracle.'

This ARC was given by the publisher and NetGallery in exchange for a honest and unbiased review. ( )
  arlenadean | Oct 1, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,989,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible