Lucifer, Vol. 1: Cold Heaven by Holly Black

Lucifer, Vol. 1: Cold Heaven

by Holly Black, Lee Garbett (Illustrator)

Other authors: Dave Johnson (Cover artist), Todd Klein (Letterer)

Series: Lucifer [2015] (Vol. 1)

2017 (2) adult (1) ARC (1) comic (2) comics (5) contemporary (1) ebook (2) edelweiss (1) faith (1) fantasy (5) first in series (1) galley (1) GN (1) Graphic Book (1) graphic novel (12) horror (1) Lucifer (5) murder (1) owned (1) paranormal (1) read (1) read in 2016 (1) religion (2) sandman (1) series (1) sf (1) singles (1) to-read (15) unread (1) Vertigo (4)

I received this from Edelweiss and DC Comics in exchange for an honest review.

2 stars.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. I've seen advertisements for the Lucifer TV show on Fox, and I have no desire to watch it. I do know that the TV show is based on the Vertigo character, though.

As for this volume, it was quite a bit of a letdown. I mean, Lucifer the Morningstar, called to investigate the murder of the Almighty Father. The potential was great with this one, but it didn't hold up very well at all.

There were three big problems, as I see it. First, there was a whole lot of walking and walking and walking, with very little explanation of where they were going, other than to "get to the other side" of the place they were walking through. Second, there was a secondary storyline that I couldn't figure out. I mean, why was it included? It made no sense, and didn't move the plot forward at all, except to place a specific character in a specific location at a specific time. Completely unnecessary. Third, and this was the kicker, was that the entire story arc boiled down to one frame with two words: "You did." Seriously? That's it? The Creator of the Universe has been murdered, and it comes down to that?!

I'm not sure I'll read anymore of this series. ( )
1 vote ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
New challenges to Lucifer in this new series by Vertigo. Mike Carey has been replaced by Holly Black. Interesting subplot involving a Haitian orphan. And, it appears that Lucifer has a son, God is dead and Gabriel has been cast out of heaven.
  ritaer | Nov 12, 2016 |
I've never read anything with Lucifer in it before and this seems to pick up the story wherever it left off last. However, it tells a lot of backstory about the characters as it's important to where the plot is going now and I felt like I was getting everything. It certainly makes me want to read some back issues, though! I really enjoyed this. The good and bad characters aren't so easily defined. I've always enjoyed this type of story and I'm a fan of Holly Black's books for teens. She's done a great job with what I presume is her first foray for DC. Will certainly be looking out for volume two. ( )
  ElizaJane | Aug 18, 2016 |

Black, HollyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garbett, LeeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collects issues #1-6 of the Lucifer series started in 2015. Based on characters created by Neil Gaiman, Sam Kieth, and Mike Dringenberg.

Stephanie Hans, Guest Artist (issue #6)
Antonion Fabela, Colorist (issues #1-5)
Cover artists: Dave Johnson (issues #1-5), Christopher Moeller (issue #6)

"The antihero who made his debut in THE SANDMAN and starred in his own hit series is back in a new series by best-selling writer Holly Black (The Spiderwick Chronicles) -- As this new series begins, God is dead--and Gabriel has accused Lucifer of His murder. Lucifer had motive and opportunity, but claims he can prove his innocence. If Gabriel finds the killer and takes the culprit into custody, Lucifer's sins will be forgotten, and he'll be welcomed back to the Silver City. So, despite the fact that Lucifer just opened a new nightclub on Earth and is hiding a mysterious wound, the two brothers set off to solve their Father's murder. Their investigation will span Heaven, Hell, Earth, and beyond in this antagonistic buddy-cop noir with an angelic flare. Collects issues #1-6"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,386,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible