Silence Fallen by Patricia Briggs

Silence Fallen (2017)

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Mercy Thompson (10), World of the Marrok (24)

(Originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com.)

The tenth book in the Mercy Thompson series sees our intrepid heroine off on her own, kidnapped to another country. While the series is beginning to show its age, I still very much enjoy these characters, and choosing to set the story in a new location added a new dimension to a familiar story.

Mercy Thompson remains my one of two favorite urban fantasy heroines (right up there with Kate Daniels), and, as the series has progressed, she has been the primary draw for my returning to the series. As I mentioned earlier, this is the 10th book, and with a long-running series like this, its not surprising that story arcs can begin to feel familiar and the cast of characters begins to be unmanageably large. Briggs uses a clever trick to side-step both of these issues by setting this book in Europe after Mercy is kidnapped by a powerful Italian vampire. Suddenly we’re in a new location and the cast of characters involved is greatly reduced to only Mercy herself and Adam and the select few others he brings along on his “rescue” mission (the term “rescue” always requires quotes when it comes to Mercy as she is typically as capable of getting herself out of trouble as she is at getting herself into it, though she gets a pass on that last part in this one as her kidnapping was clearly not of her own volition). We’ve had a few other books where we’ve swapped viewpoints between Mercy and Adam, and here that format is utilized once again.

Mercy’s storyline is fairly straight forward. Escape her kidnappers, travel across Europe, somehow land in even more hot water, and learn more about her shapeshifter heritage and how her unique powers to see and talk with ghosts could mean even more than she had previously known. The first bit is pretty par for the course. At this point there really isn’t much tension that can be built around Mercy’s original dilemma. We’ve seen her kidnapped or in the clutches of a much more powerful being one too many times to be really intimidated by this setting, and, smartly, Briggs moves past this fairly quickly.

One of the remaining mysteries in this series is Mercy’s background as a child of Coyote, a powerful Native American spirit, and what gifts this has bestowed upon her. My favorite parts of this story revolved around the added depth that was given to this topic and the introduction of a much more vast and expansive history for Coyote’s influence and work in the greater world. Briggs also introduced a new creature with the Golem of Prague, a powerful being whose mysteries Mercy must unlock to save herself and the city.

Adam’s storyline was much more…political. While I enjoyed seeing a few of my favorite characters back (Stephan has been absent quite a lot in the last several books), it was also disappointing to find that much of his story arc ultimately served very little purpose. The larger dynamics that take place within the vampire seethes worldwide was interesting, but Briggs sets up the Italian vampire lord as one of the most powerful supernatural beings in the world and then…it all kind of comes to nothing? There were a few exciting moments, but much of this arc was taken up with carefully worded negotiations and power plays, but very little action. And in the end, the reader is kind of left wondering what was the point of it all?

There was also a neat twist towards the end that I didn’t see coming. However, it also threw a few things into question. Adam’s perspective makes up half of the story, and we know that he would be informed of this particular secret, but when we’re reading his earlier sections, it reads as if he is unaware of this. I know that this is to keep the reader in the dark, but it doesn’t ring true that Adam would think/act this way knowing the truth that we later find out. When it was revealed, I found it to be very jarring and had to go back and re-read several section to both now further appreciate what was going on and to confirm that yes, it was weird that this was written this way in the first place given Adam’s knowledge of it the whole time. This seems like a small quibble for what was actually a very neat reveal. But I wish there had been a way to neaten it up so that that same fun reveal wasn’t undercut by what had come before.

Ultimately, I very much enjoyed Mercy’s story line, but I was left underwhelmed by Adam’s. I still loved reading chapters from his perspective, but the arc he was given wasn’t strong. For an Alpha werewolf, he was given very little actual action, and the end results of his storyline didn’t feel worth the time it was given throughout the book. In the end, I’m not quite sure why it was even necessary to split this book into two parts. The ending would have needed to be changed, but it feels like very little tweaking would have been necessary to focus this story in on the more interesting arc and do away with the overly extended political maneuvering all together. Especially given that, by the end, things simply felt re-set and I was still left questioning the point of it all. ( )
  thelibraryladies | Sep 15, 2017 |
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.
allthingsuf.com

SILENCE FALLEN proves that time and again, Mercy Thompson is a delight to tag along with. Even after all these years, Briggs manages to surprise and enthrall with every page. While SILENCE FALLEN reads more like a "monster of the week" episode than anything driving the world forward, that makes this installment of the series no less enjoyable to read.

Mercy's pack has expanded to the point where sometimes I need a few reminders to remember the newer members, but that brief orientation didn't slow down this story a whit. I was particularly pleased by how quickly (and smoothly) Mercy was operating with autonomy, something this independent coyote does best. I didn't expect the "big bads", and found both the magic and political aspects of the story delightful. It's hard to go into detail without spoilers, but fans of the series will find SILENCE FALLEN to be an exercise in both Mercy's and Adam's strengths, with a more than a few cameos and surprises thrown in for spice.

A wonderful romp, Mercy is a joy to follow as she problem solves, charms, and slips her way through trouble. Much like Ilona Andrews, Briggs lavishes detail in her world building, which will thrill both process nerds and history buffs alike.

Sexual Content: References to rape, a non-explicit sex scene. ( )
  Capnrandm | Aug 22, 2017 |
I’ve enjoyed every book in the Mercy series, some more than others. This quickly rose to the top as one of my favorites. I like when Mercy gets embroiled in supernatural politics and the story has as much intrigue and guile as action scenes.

Mercy gets kidnapped by a big bad vampire – one who is equivalent to the Marrok in influence and power. Mercy is separated from Adam for much of the book, so Briggs handles this by having the story alternate between his and Mercy’s POV. I liked this a lot because it provided a different perspective on events.

One of the best things about this character is that despite getting into so much trouble, Mercy is never just a damsel in distress. She has agency, and it’s recognized by other characters. This story moved at a brisk pace, with excellent character interactions and solid action scenes. Highly recommended. ( )
  jshillingford | May 18, 2017 |
The latest Mercy Thompson novel finds Mercy kidnapped by vampires, taken to Italy, and dropped right in the middle of a bunch of twisted plots. She is alone, cut off from her mate bond by magic, and at the mercy of a very old vampire. She manages to escape and then finds herself alone in Italy without clothing or her passport. And a coyote doesn't blend in very well in Europe!

Meanwhile, once Adam knows where she is, he assembles a team to go to Italy to get her back - no matter what it takes.

I loved catching up with a lot of the characters I have come to love in the earlier books in this series. I love the strong relationship between Mercy and Adam. I also love the strong relationships that Mercy has with a number of her friends from all the various supernatural groups. This episode had a lot of vampire politics woven into it and explained a lot more about the politics that has turned the Tri-Cities and the Columbia Basin Pack into a safe zone for supernaturals.

This was a fast-paced, action-filled novel that kept me reading late into the night. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 2, 2017 |
I was sucked in from the very beginning and stayed up way too late. Then did it again the second night to finish the book. Mercy is kidnapped by an Italian vampire. Ends up in Prague and continues being Mercy. Adam of course is hot on her tail to get her back. He has to deal with the Italian Vamp. Love how Bran sneaks in.

So the book was very easy to read. I think part of that was the formatting. Nice sized font, lots of white space and that's how we get to 350+ pages. Since I picked up Etched in Bone and started to read it. Much smaller font, less white space. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Apr 26, 2017 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Enzweiler, MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peters, AnnContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, Daniel DosCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This wasn't the first time chocolate got me in trouble

I DIED FIRST, SO I MADE COOKIES.

In the #1 New York Times bestselling Mercy Thompson novels, the coyote shapeshifter has found her voice in the werewolf pack. But when Mercy’s bond with the pack—and her mate—is broken, she’ll learn what it truly means to be alone...

Attacked and abducted in her home territory, Mercy finds herself in the clutches of the most powerful vampire in the world, taken as a weapon to use against alpha werewolf Adam and the ruler of the Tri-Cities vampires. In coyote form, Mercy escapes—only to find herself without money, without clothing, and alone in the heart of Europe...

Unable to contact Adam and the rest of the pack, Mercy has allies to find and enemies to fight, and she needs to figure out which is which. Ancient powers stir, and Mercy must be her agile best to avoid causing a war between vampires and werewolves, and between werewolves and werewolves. And in the heart of the ancient city of Prague, old ghosts rise...

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 24 Jun 2016 17:52:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,005,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible