Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams

Zen in the Martial Arts

by Joe Hyams

Loved this book. Short but sweet. Great stories and wisdom from various martial artists including Bruce Lee. ( )
  bibliosk8er | Aug 14, 2012 |
Not something I would have picked up on my own (I know nothing of the martial arts beyond the Karate Kid movies), this came highly recommended by a friend. For a tiny book, it is packed full of insightful -- and deceptively simple -- observations about how to live. ( )
  catalogthis | Dec 27, 2011 |
"One afternoon I was training with Bruce" was no more than an opening sentence. You totally missed the purpose of these examples; each one has a meaning and involves a tip to make your life that much better. Think outside the box............ ( )
  SiLLySaNdMaN | Dec 7, 2009 |
One of my favorite 'short reads'. Joe Hyams has a tendency to 'name-drop,' which is probably due to his background as an LA screenwriter, but he manages to pack a fair bit of interesting reading into this little book. For example, the "empty your cup" metaphor is often see in zen, but is illustrated very nicely in one of the early chapters. ( )
  GreyGhost | Sep 15, 2009 |
This was a book that I read very quickly, as it is possible to do. However, I am keeping it in my karate bag and I will go back to it often. I feel like many of the lessons in the book, although sometimes very blantantly spelled out, are integral to martial arts and to life in general. This is one book of mine that will be highlighted, underlined, margin-noted, and dog eared.

I highly recommend this book to serious martial arts practitioners of all levels, especially black belts. The only drawback is that I'm afraid it may be discouraging to beginners or non-practitioners because the author is always talking about how little he knows and how long it takes to understand. I hope that everyone comes to those conclusions often in their training, but maybe not till they have been doing it a little while; I wouldn't want beginners to get too discouraged! ( )
  michellegarrette | Jul 27, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553275593, Mass Market Paperback)

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action."--Samurai Maximum.

Under the guidance of such celebrated masters as Ed Parker and the immortal Bruce Lee, Joe Hyams vividly recounts his more than 25 years of experience in the martial arts. In his illuminating story, Hyams reveals to you how the daily application of Zen principles not only developed his physical expertise but gave him the mental discipline to control his personal problems-self-image, work pressure, competition. Indeed, mastering the spiritual goals in martial arts can dramatically alter the quality of your life-enriching your relationships with people, as well as helping you make use of all your abilities.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:08 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible