The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton

The Camel Bookmobile (2007)

by Masha Hamilton

English (50)  Dutch (2)  All languages (52)
4.5 stars.

Fiona is a librarian in New York, but she has decided to travel to Kenya to help set up a bookmobile, traveling by camel to small villages. One of the villages, Mididima, has an interesting group of people, some of whom are opposed to the library coming. They don’t think they or their children need to learn to read, as they’ve gotten by as they have for generations. One girl (and her grandmother) are thrilled to have the library and to be able to borrow the books; there is also a boy with a scar on his face who seems to enjoy the books. There is a teacher, who is in support of the library, and his wife, who is very much against it (but at the same time is little bit torn about it).

It was really, really good. Each chapter was told from different characters’ viewpoints. I think the book did a really good job of describing the feelings of the people who opposed the bookmobile and why. Close to the end, I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the ending, but ultimately, I did - I think the way it was tied up was very fitting and appropriate. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 3, 2014 |
Really enjoyed the theme, the depictions of village life and rituals, and the author's cast of characters overall. (Warning spoiler alert coming!) However, when it was all over and I paused to consider my review I was left feeling the same way Fi was when she went to reconnect with Matani--that I didn't get the opportunity to know these fictional friends well enough or long enough. Still it was worth the read and I'd certainly recommend it to anyone considering humanitarian work in any Third World nation, especially Africa. ( )
  dele2451 | Nov 11, 2013 |
Hmnnnn.....where to begin? I had heard good things about this book. Usually my international book group doesn't fail me, but this time it did....badly.

So where to start with this mess of a novel? Shall we talk about the author's muddled message---the program is pretty much seen as failure, yet she plugs it enthusiastically in her epilogue? Or how about the trite and unbelievable "love story"? How about the arrogance of entering into people's minds that the author cannot even begin to understand? How about the author's disconcerting admission that she had pretty much finished the novel before she went to Kenya for a few more details--- a bit of local color don't cha know--without changing the fabric of her story ? Just stretch your preconceived plot on the bed of political correctness--it's all good! And let's not forget the author's too-cooler--than --you- explanation of why she wrote the book in the first place. Appallingly superficial, a cheat designed to give the reader the smug feeling that they can understand an "exotic land"--it gives a bad name to novels calculatingly presented as book group fodder. ( )
  gaeta1 | Nov 9, 2013 |
One of the best books that I have read for some time. It is written from the view of multipul people and the author has managed to represent all of the people in such a way that you get involved with all of them.
The basic story is of a bookmobile based on a caravan visting a settlement in the desert and the effect that it has on the people involved. The british librarian, the local librarian and the settlement teacher and one of the girls.
please read this
  jessicariddoch | Sep 9, 2013 |
Great idea, not very well executed. ( )
  Hobbitlass | Aug 13, 2013 |
For the inspiring librarians who help keep the real camel bookmobile running into the African bush, and who are dedicated to decreasing an illiteracy rate of more than eighty percent: Rashid M. Farrah, Nimo Isaack, Kaltuma Banaya, and Joseph Otieno. Thank you for the time my daughter and I shared with you.
The child, wide-legged on the ground, licked dust off his fist and tried to pretend he was tasting camel milk.

Once a fortnight, the nomadic settlement of Madidima, set deep in the dusty Kenyan desert, awaits the arrival of three camels laden down with panniers of books. This is the Camel Bookmobile, a scheme set up to bring books to scattered tribes whose daily life is dominated by drought, famine and disease. Into their world comes an unexpected wealth of literature - from the adventures of Tom Sawyer to strange vegetarian cookbooks and Dr Seuss. Kanika, a young girl who lives with her grandmother, devours every book she can lay her hands on. Her best friend is Scar Boy, a child who was mauled at the age of three by a hyena. They are joined by Matani the village teacher, his alluring wife Jwahir and the drummaker Abayomi, as well as Mr Abasi, the camel driver, who is convinced that one of the camels is possessed by the spirit of his dead mother-in-law. The only condition of The Camel Bookmobile is that every book must be returned or else the visits will cease. Then one day a book is stolen...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:22 -0400)

Establishing a bookmobile in a destitute Kenya village, well-intentioned Fiona Sweeny inadvertently renews a decades-old tribal feud involving a camel-powered bookmobile and prior efforts to promote local education.

Masha Hamilton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible