Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic…

Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries

by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Recently added byImperiousCaesar, lacop, private library, michaelavila, jhicks62

English (27)  Czech (1)  All languages (28)
Man I wish I were smarter and understood this better. ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
I have watched a few documentaries by Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson and he did a fantastic job of explaining Science concepts in them. He has done an equally exceptional work in this book as well.

We can call this as 'a Science book for the common man', since even people with basic knowledge will have an educating and entertaining experience going through the book. IMHO, this is a book for all ages.

Complicated topics like Quasars, Quantum Theory and Black holes are detailed with utmost simplicity. The book covers a wide range of subjects and takes a deep-dive on many of them.

In most chapters, I was able to paint a mental picture of the material I was reading. Such is the flair of the Author's presentation. ( )
  nmarun | Mar 11, 2014 |
autumn-2013, nonfiction, essays, fraudio, astronomy, sciences
Read on September 02, 2013

rosado> walkies!

Apparently, this gentleman is often on the box in the corner (that isn't so funny anymore is it, now that the TV is never a box in the corner anymore.)

Not about this book, more along the mode of listening: have you got the 'find friend' app? Small things amuse us here, I try an get to a point as far away from the cabin by means of flair of imagination and then he comes to get me. I can watch his approach as a blinking purple bubble on the map. Same tech as Geo-Caching but I am the prize lol.
2 likes ( )
  mimal | Sep 3, 2013 |
Years ago and before life got so complicated, I used to subscribe to NATURAL HISTORY magazine. One of the highlights of each issue was the essay (usually on a topic related to biological evolution) by Stephen J. Gould. But after I found the magazines laying around unread, I eventually cancelled my subscription.
I knew that Dr. Gould had died. What I hadn't know was that Neil deGrasse Tyson (yeah, the guy who somehow took all the heat for Pluto being downgraded from planetary status to a mere planetoid) had succeeded Gould as a columnist.
This collection brings together Tyson's columns, They're delightful. I hadn't realized how out-of-date my knowledge of astrophysics and cosmology had become.
Kudos, Dr. Tyson. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Aug 3, 2013 |
Neil deGrasse Tyson is a fascinating guy. He is one of the people that should be held up as a hero before sports stars, celebrities and politicians.

This book is classic Tyson. Funny, easy to read and enlightening. The book itself is sort of a series of essays about the way nature can kill you. Just kidding. Well, in some places he does explain how nature can kill you.

Actually, this book is a set of essays that he wrote for a magazine, Nature. He covers a lot of topics. These cover some wide ranges like science and religion all the way to black holes.

Tyson has a great way of bringing a certain ease to scientific ideas. Not just the science itself but how to think about science. How to think rationally about life.

If you've never read Tyson before, this is a good place to start. You'll get a feel of the author's point of view as well as his enthusiasm for science and rational thought. Neil deGrasse Tyson is the kind of person I think of when I hear the word philosopher.

I recommend this book. ( )
  lewiscunningham | Feb 6, 2013 |
My own suspicion is that the Universe

is not only queerer than we suppose,

but queerer than we can suppose.

-J. B. S. HALDANE

Possible Worlds (1927)
My own suspicion is that the Universe
is not only queerer than we suppose,
but queerer than we can suppose.

-J. B. S. HALDANE
Possible Worlds (1927)
I see the universe not as a collection of objects, theories, and phenomena, but as a vast stage of actors driven by intricate twists of story line and plot.

A vibrant collection of essays on the cosmos from the nation's best-known astrophysicist. “One of today’s best popularizers of science.”—Kirkus Reviews.

Loyal readers of the monthly "Universe" essays in Natural History magazine have long recognized Neil deGrasse Tyson's talent for guiding them through the mysteries of the cosmos with stunning clarity and almost childlike enthusiasm. Here, Tyson compiles his favorite essays across a myriad of cosmic topics. The title essay introduces readers to the physics of black holes by explaining the gory details of what would happen to your body if you fell into one. "Holy Wars" examines the needless friction between science and religion in the context of historical conflicts. "The Search for Life in the Universe" explores astral life from the frontiers of astrobiology. And "Hollywood Nights" assails the movie industry's feeble efforts to get its night skies right.

Known for his ability to blend content, accessibility, and humor, Tyson is a natural teacher who simplifies some of the most complex concepts in astrophysics while simultaneously sharing his infectious excitement about our universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:37 -0400)

A collection of essays on the cosmos, written by an American Museum of Natural History astrophysicist, includes "Holy Wars," "Ends of the World," and "Hollywood Nights."

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393062244, 0393330168

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible