Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

Faro's Daughter (1941)

by Georgette Heyer

English (40)  Spanish (1)  All languages (41)
Oh, this was so much fun! Why hasn’t anyone adapted Heyer’s novels?

In hindsight, this story brims with Pride and Prejudice parallels, but that didn’t really occur to me at the time, nor bother me now, because the characters’ personalities, circumstances and motives are different.

When Max Ravenscar hears that his twenty year old cousin, Lord Mablethorpe, plans to marry “a wench from a gaming-house”, he sets out to intervene. Deborah Grantham has no intention of marrying an infatuated boy five years her junior, but although the money Mr Ravenscar offers would alleviate her aunt’s current financial distress, Deborah is deeply insulted by Mr Ravenscar’s assumptions about her and by his attempts to bribe her. So, to annoy him in revenge, she pretends that she's going to take full advantage of his cousin’s infatuation.

Things get a bit out of hand, Heyer-fashion, but I like that Deborah has strong ideas about what is off-limits. She’s passionate and has a fierce sense of honour, but she can also be sensible and kind -- and she doesn’t hesitate to help when she meets a distressed young woman who is being pressured into an odious marriage. As for Ravenscar, he’s level-headed, he has positive dealings with his younger relatives, he has a sense of humour and he knows when to apologise. I was delighted by the interactions between him and Deborah.

The audiobook narrator, Laura Paton, did a wonderful job of giving the characters distinct and lively voices (and I suspect I would have interpreted one or two of them less warmly if I had just been reading printed words on a page). And the ending was satisfying in a way not all of Heyer’s novels manage… which, I will admit, I might not have appreciated to the same degree if my expectations had been different.

“You have had Ravenscar murdered, and hidden his body in my cellar!” uttered her ladyship, sinking into a chair. “We shall all be ruined! I knew it!”
“My dear ma'am, it is no such thing!” Deborah said, amused. “He is not dead, I assure you!”
  Herenya | Aug 5, 2018 |
I am not sure what other people see in this book. I read twelve pages and abandoned it. It is difficult to read with affected language that is trying way too hard. It felt like I was reading a bad play script with a woman flailing around the stage with her hand to her forehead in dramatic gestures of swooning while in direct contrast a stationary, bored male looked on impassively. ( )
  trillianiris | Aug 2, 2018 |
I suppose it's as good as any other Heyer - partly, I'm in the wrong mood for a humorous romance, and partly - the major trope here is misunderstanding, my least favorite romance trope. Ravenscar isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is - he swallows his aunt's reading of the situation whole, and all his investigation consists of going to the house and observing events through the filter of his aunt's assumptions. So he's perfectly set up to egregiously insult Deb...who reacts by deciding to be as vulgar as he thinks she is, because that will "show him". What, exactly, it will show him is really not clear. I think the fact that she's in love with him is pointed out by at least three people, and her immediate reaction each time is to claim she hates him. His behavior is less obviously loverly, at least until he returns the bills. And a grand final twist to make everything worse - and a twist back to make it all better, and happily ever after. Ugh. Not one I plan to reread. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Feb 24, 2018 |
My second foray into Heyer's fictions, and another fun romp to the Georgian drawing rooms and gaming houses. Though I guessed pretty quickly what the end result of all this was going to be, it was very entertaining to see how Heyer got us there. ( )
  JBD1 | Dec 30, 2017 |
This is my first of Georgette Heyer - I kind of wish it wasn't, though, if only because it felt a little to much like Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy but with a different plot! Even secondary characters such as Deborah's aunt smacked distinctly of such archetypical characters as Mrs. Bennett. Still, I enjoyed the repartee between Deborah and Max Ravenscar (although I giggled quite a bit at the last name. Ravenscar? Really?). The secondary characters, too, were engaging and sweet, even if they did make me impatient with their gullibility sometimes! What I particularly loved was the breadth and depth of research in this book, and the quality of the language itself. Heyer clearly understood - I mean really understood - the world she was writing about, and it shows in the way she crafts her dialogue and explains her setting to her readers. There are several moments where I'm glad it's in my Kindle, so I can use my dictionary to figure out certain words or allusions! Despite the overwhelming sense of having read this somewhere before, this is definitely a sweet, enjoyable, intelligent read. ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paton, LauraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Upon her butler's announcing the arrival of Mr Ravenscar, Lady Mablethorpe, who had been dozing over a novel from the Circulating Library, sat up with a jerk, and raised a hand to her dishevelled cap.
To be sure, it was unfortunate that Arabella should be such a flirt, but what, in another damsel, would have been a shocking fault, was, in such a notable heiress, a mere whimsicality of youth.

"A wife out of a gaming house! One of Faro's daughters! If I had my way, women of your stamp should be whipped..."

Max Ravenscar regarded all eligible females with indifference, preferring horses, cockfighting or cards. When he learns that his young cousin, Adrian, Lord Mablethorpe, intends to marry lovely Deborah Grantham who graces her aunt's gaming establishment, Max thinks it will be an easy matter to buy off the fair charmer. But Deborah is as spirited as she is beautiful, and Max was overdue for a much-needed lesson.

Deborah Grantham, mistress of her aunt's elegant gaming house, must find a way to restore herself and her aunt to respectability, preferably without accepting either of two repugnant offers. One is from an older, very rich and rather corpulent lord whose reputation for licentious behavior disgusts her; the other from the young, puppyish scion of a noble family whose relatives are convinced she is a fortune hunter. The young suitor's uncle, Max Ravenscar, comes to buy her off, an insult so scathing that it leads to a volley of passionate reprisals, escalating between them to a level of flair and fury that can only have one conclusion.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,810,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible