The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by…

The Ministry of Utmost Happiness

by Arundhati Roy

English (28)  German (1)  All languages (29)
"It was herself she was exhausted by. She had lost the ability to keep her discreet words discreet - a skill many consider to be the cornerstone of sanity"
Musa: " I don't know where to step, or how to go on. I stop where I shouldn't. I go when I should stop. There is weariness. But there is also defiance. Together they define me these days. Together they steal my sleep, and together they restore my soul. There are plenty of problems with no solutions in sight. Friends turn into foes. If not vocals ones, then silent reticent ones. But I've yet to see s for turning into a friend. There seems to be no hope. But pretending to be hopeful is the only grace we have."
" enemies can't break your spirit, only friends can." ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 16, 2018 |
Wow. Powerful stuff. It left me reeling. Such a devastating critique of aspects of life in India. Don't want to spoil for others but at times I wondered if I had the stomach to keep going, but I am so very glad that I did. What a masterpiece of modern literature. Thank you, Ms. Roy, it was a privilege to read these beautiful words. ( )
  fizzypops | Jul 24, 2018 |
I really loved the first part of this book, but as I went on I found it increasingly confusing and distant. There are some great moments and some beautiful passages, but they're a bit buried. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Wowed. Beaten in the head with history. Wowed.

I did have to go back about half way thru and reread (quickly) to put everyone into place. There are multitudes and the storytelling moves about. You must be agile. And remember all because they return.

But when you finish you know the torturers, the torturees, the dead bystanders, the poor, the doing OK, the escapees, the thieves and on and on and on.
1 vote kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
I did not read God of Small Things, and was looking forward to finding out wether I would have liked this acclaimed writer. I did. I do. I will read her previous novel ASAP.
What I liked more in this book is how easily and seamlessly it gets the reader close to realities far far away and completely different.
Roy's writing is beautiful and she is very good at creating likable (or unlikable) characters. ( )
1 vote Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |
This review gives order and intelligence to the spectrum of bad reviews about this mysterious book. This book contains a secret code of mystical nature, and must be read several times. Attainment is as good as the trouble inflicted in the lifetime of the protagonist....Read on

I mean, it's all a matter of your heart...
Nâzim Hikmet
To,
The Unconsoled
At magic hour, when the sun has gone but the light has not, armies of flying foxes unhinge themselves from the Banyan trees in the old graveyard and drift across the city like smoke.
I
WHERE DO OLD BIRDS GO TO DIE?
She lived in the graveyard like a tree.
The moment I saw her, a part of me walked out of my body and wrapped itself around her. And there is still remains. (Page 256)

"A richly moving new novel--the first since the author's Booker Prize-winning, internationally celebrated debut, The God of Small Things, went on to become a beloved best seller and enduring classic. The Ministry of Utmost Happiness transports us across a subcontinent on a journey of many years. It takes us deep into the lives of its gloriously rendered characters, each of them in search of a place of safety--in search of meaning, and of love. In a graveyard outside the walls of Old Delhi, a resident unrolls a threadbare Persian carpet. On a concrete sidewalk, a baby suddenly appears, just after midnight. In a snowy valley, a bereaved father writes a letter to his five-year-old daughter about the people who came to her funeral. In a second-floor apartment, a lone woman chain-smokes as she reads through her old notebooks. At the Jannat Guest House, two people who have known each other all their lives sleep with their arms wrapped around each other, as though they have just met. A braided narrative of astonishing force and originality, The Ministry of Utmost Happiness is at once a love story and a provocation--a novel as inventive as it is emotionally engaging. It is told with a whisper, in a shout, through joyous tears and sometimes with a bitter laugh. Its heroes, both present and departed, have been broken by the world we live in--and then mended by love. For this reason, they will never surrender. How to tell a shattered story? By slowly becoming everybody. No. By slowly becoming everything. Humane and sensuous, beautifully told, this extraordinary novel demonstrates on every page the miracle of Arundhati Roy's storytelling gifts"-- "An epic novel of love and history and the perseverance of the human spirit in the face of loss and tragedy"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible