Mira's Last Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold

Penric is leading General Arisaydia and his widowed sister through now-hostile Cedonia to what they hope will be sanctuary in the Duchy of Orbas. It's a difficult and tricky journey, with dangerous delays. Temporarily stranded in the city of Sosie, they take refuge in a high-end brothel.

The brothel has a little problem with pests at the moment, which Penric, with his need to shed chaos, is able to help with. What he doesn't initially anticipate is that Mira, one of the ten women whose personalities make up the demon Desdemona, will step forward with her own skills to help them on their way.

Mira, of course, is the courtesan.

Over the course of their days in Sosie, it becomes easy to see why everyone who doesn't already know Penric well at some point suspects that his demon has become ascendant.

Another solid Penric adventure.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Mira is one of the dozen or so previous hosts Penric's daemon Desdemona has inhabited in the past two centuries. Mira was a very very high-priced courtesan and her skills come in handy when Penric lands in a brothel and disguises himself as a women. Penric's companions, Arisaydia and Nikys, watch in amazement as a few strategically-placed rolls of cotton, some henna and face paint transform tall slender Penric into a stately beauty who captivates the heart (and purse) of wealthy, honorable and unsuspecting General Chadro.

This novella is the latest chapter in the tale of Learned Penric and his daemon Desdemona. It immediately follows Penric's Mission and is considered #5 in the series. Despite the novella's title, I hope we meet Mira again.

I received a review copy of "Mira's Last Dance" by Lois McMaster Bujold (Subterranean) through NetGalley.com. It was first published in 2017 by Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc. and has been reissued by Subterranean. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jun 30, 2018 |
This installment was enjoyable - but not much new. Especially since she shied away from the most interest thing - the sexual encounter. ( )
  kbellwether | Apr 16, 2018 |
Mira’s Last Dance follows directly on from Penric’s Mission but is a rather different story in tone and setting. (Perhaps this shouldn’t have been a surprise - it is, after all, the sort of thing Bujold does all the time with the Vorkosigan saga. Thematically this is a rather Bujold-ish story, too...) Penric and his companions are trying to escape from Cedonia and Pen ends up assuming an unusual - and unexpected - cover identity.

I’d become rather fond of Desdemona, but Mira’s Last Dance is a reminder that Des is a conglomerate of personalities rather than a single identity, and her relationship with Pen is not a simple one. I found this a little confronting - which I suspect may have be the point, since one of the characters shared my reaction.

This the shortest of the Penric novellas - the audiobook is two hours shorter than Penric’s Mission - and feels very much like an episode from a TV series. The immediate problems are resolved but I’m left wanting to know what happens to Pen and Des (and Nikys!) next. ( )
  Herenya | Nov 18, 2017 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saint-Onge, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nikys was worried about their sorcerer.
"Something I did not know at twenty," said Nikys slowly, "that I do know at thirty, is that when a woman marries a man, she marries his life. And it had better be the life she wants to lead."

In this sequel to the novella “Penric’s Mission”, the injured Penric, a Temple sorcerer and learned divine, tries to guide the betrayed General Arisaydia and his widowed sister Nikys across the last hundred miles of hostile Cedonia to safety in the Duchy of Orbas. In the town of Sosie the fugitive party encounters unexpected delays, and even more unexpected opportunities and hazards, as the courtesan Mira of Adria, one of the ten dead women whose imprints make up the personality of the chaos demon Desdemona, comes to the fore with her own special expertise.

In this sequel to the novella Penric's Mission, the injured Penric, a Temple sorcerer and learned divine, tries to guide the betrayed General Arisaydia and his widowed sister Nikys across the last hundred miles of hostile Cedonia to safety in the Duchy of Orbas. In the town of Sosie the fugitive party encounters unexpected delays, and even more unexpected opportunities and hazards, as the courtesan Mira of Adria, one of the ten dead women whose imprints make up the personality of the chaos demon Desdemona, comes to the fore with her own special expertise.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,445,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible