A Company of Swans by Eva Ibbotson

A Company of Swans (1985)

by Eva Ibbotson

this is excactly what I imagined my life would be if I was day-dreaming... dancing ballet and having a great advanture far away from home, running toward the unknowen. meeting a handsome starnger and falling in love... ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This was the first Eva Ibbotson book I read, a fact that contributed to its five-star rating (she did tend to use similar structures in her romance stories, which means that subsequent books could seem a bit formulaic). I found it delightful and charming and fairytale-like; I also believe it was an insightful evocation of a bygone era. I also loved the exotic setting: not just the Amazon; but also the world of ballet and of Cambridge; and also the surprising quirky elements in the story (how many romances feature a manatee? and I loved how Harriet communicated with the Amazonian natives in Latin - nerdy and weirdly believable). ( )
  Haklh | Nov 5, 2015 |
  Haklh | Nov 5, 2015 |
You guys, this was so enjoyable! A girl in 1912 escapes from her extremely oppressive home and runs away to Brazil with a ballet troupe.
I can't imagine you're not already sold just from that description, but may I also mention the dashing hero, the amusing tricks played on the hideous unwanted fiance, the charmingly insane prima ballerina, and the astonishing series of ridiculous coincidences that drive the plot along.
You're welcome. ( )
1 vote JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
There was no lovelier view in England, Harriet knew this.

For nineteen-year-old Harriet Morton, life in 1912 Cambridge is as dry and dull as a biscuit. Her stuffy father and her opressive aunt Louisa allow her only one outlet: ballet. When a Russian ballet master comes to class searching for dancers to fill the corps of his ballet company before their South American tour, Harriet’s world changes. Defying her father’s wishes and narrowly escaping the clutches of the man who wishes to marry her, Harriet sneaks off to join the ballet on their journey to the Amazon. There, in the wild, lush jungle, they perform Swan Lake in grand opera houses for the wealthy and culture-deprived rubber barons, and Harriet meets Rom Verney, the handsome and mysterious British exile who owns the most ornate opera house. Utterly enchanted by both the exotic surroundings and by Rom’s affections, Harriet is swept away by her new life, completely unaware that her father and would-be finacé have begun to track her down. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:43 -0400)

Ibbotson's latest romantic frolic concerns the delightful young daughter of a pompous, repressive Cambridge University professor. After escaping her father's stifling household (maintained by his spinster sister) and pursuing her dream to join a ballet company, Harriet Morton finds herself on a physically exhausting yet emotionally uplifting journey up the Amazon to perform in Brazil's famous opera house in Manaus. Naturally, she is pursued by her outraged father and rescued by a dashing Englishman who has hewn his fortune and a wondrous estate out of the South American jungles.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,787,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible