Ms. Marvel Vol. 7: Damage Per Second by G.…

Ms. Marvel Vol. 7: Damage Per Second (2017)

by G. Willow Wilson

Other authors: Mirka Andolfo (Illustrator), Francesco Gaston (Illustrator), Takeshi Miyazawa (Illustrator)

Series: Ms. Marvel Vol. 4 [2015-] (13-18), Ms. Marvel (Vol.4, 3)

The messages were really good, but the execution didn't quite work. Still a solid 4 stars.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
Wilson writes amazing character moments and well-intentioned but absolutely ludicrous and heavy-handed moralizing plots. Here Ms. Marvel takes on voter registration and internet trolls, but that's just the price we pay to see the good stuff, like the dramatic developments in the lives of some of the supporting cast in this volume. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Ms Marvel Vol 7: Damage Per Second written by G Willow Wilson is the latest collected volume of the Kamala Khan run of Ms Marvel. It follows on from Vol 6 which was (tolerably) set during the Civil War II event and which I have also reviewed. It collects issues #13–18 of the most recent numbering system run (the back of the trade says starting in 2015 but I think the issue numbering has restarted at least once since then).

There are three story arcs collected in this volume. The first single-issue arc is about Ms Marvel encouraging New Jersey people to vote in the Mayoral election. I didn't mind this one, but politics centring getting people to vote is always strange from this Australian used to compulsory voting. I also put the comic down for a while after this issue and when I came back to read the rest and write this review I found it hadn't been very memorable.

The middle four-issue arc is overwhelmingly the dominant one in this collection and is the origin of the volume title. This story involves Ms Marvel gaming online in her down time and then having to deal with a computer-based villain. The story deals with the idea of there not being any privacy or secrets in the modern digital age, but there wasn't enough space to delve into this very deeply and the story is limited to issues surrounding doxing, more or less. It was interesting and memorable but I don't think it's one of my favourite Ms Marvel arcs. (I also side-eyed the computer stuff in it, but it fits in with the magic of the Marvel universe, I suppose.)

The final single-issue arc shows us Bruno's story who doesn't appear earlier in this volume after events in the previous volume. Bruno is going to school in Wakanda and we see him struggling to fit in as "the American" but also making friends and — most interestingly — dealing with his acquired disabilities. I really liked this arc and while I don't know how sustainable future Bruno stories will be if he continues being on the other side of the world from Ms Marvel, I hope we see more of him in the future.

I enjoyed this volume and I definitely recommend it to fans of Ms Marvel. I think it's probably also an OK place to pick up the story, but not the best starting point. As always I advocate starting at the start of the Kamala Khan Ms Marvel run for maximum Ms Marvel goodness.

4 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Jun 23, 2018 |
The main story is title Damage per Second but the volume also includes two other stories, one at the end and one at the beginning. The first issues is Election Day because Hydra has a few more tricks up their sleeves to try to take over Jersey City. I love the way Ms. Marvel handles it. She is an amazing character with ideals and actions that are worthy of referring to her as a role model, as we know so many fictional heroes are. I especially love her line: Democracy, sometimes a contact sport.

The last issue doesn't have Ms. Marvel in it at all but catches us up on what's going in with Bruno in Wakanda. I had a feeling that was going to come back around and I'm really looking forwardto whatever they're building up to there. I especially enjoyed the cameo from another popular hero.

Damage per Second takes up four issues and has another of those themes that has come to be a hallmark of Kamala Khan's. Try as you might, there are some problems that you can't punch your way out of. Okay, I'm pretty sure the sentiment itself comes from one of movies but the point is still made over and over again in Ms. Marvel and I absolutely love it. What to do with a computer virus that learns from you? Check out the volume and find out.

The art has been getting steadily more grown up. She doesn't look quite as young as she used to. ( )
  Calavari | Apr 5, 2018 |
Another lovely collection of Ms. Marvel issues! The first issue, about voting, brought up issues I totally agree with but the message felt quite heavy-handed. The following issues were more fun with a tribute to World of Warcraft and a nasty bad guy who didn't really make sense but was still an interesting antagonist. I also liked the brief aside showing what Bruno was up to, in a Black Panther cross-over. ( )
  ladycato | Dec 11, 2017 |

G. Willow Wilsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andolfo, MirkaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaston, FrancescoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miyazawa, TakeshiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caramagna, JoeLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herring, IanColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments! Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

"Civil War II is behind her, and a brand new chapter for Kamala Khan is about to begin! But it's lonely out there for a super hero when her loved ones no longer have her back. It's time for Kamala to find out exactly who she is when she's on her own. And Kamala's home life, costumed life and online life will converge when a member of her World of Battlecraft guild reveals he's discovered her secret identity!" -- page 4 of cover.… (more)

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,831,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible