Oath of Honor by Lynette Eason

Oath of Honor

by Lynette Eason

Police, politicians and organized crime swirl together in non-stop action. ( )
  cfk | Oct 20, 2018 |
Oath of Honor is the first book in the Blue Justice series and wow am I hooked! I loved getting to know the St. John family because they are all great characters who are memorable and bring a lot to the story. The focus of book one was on officer Isabelle St. John and I was surprised at the impact this story had on my emotions from the start. Being Christian fiction, I did not expect the hardness of the situations that occurred but I was amazed at the emotions that were drawn from me. I definitely felt for Isabelle when her partner was murdered and she was wrapped up in the aftermath.

Isabelle and her partner had been friends since childhood and their families were also close as well. This was no easy situation and her partner’s brother Ryan did not make the situation easy on Isabelle either. He did not take the loss of his brother well and was demanding more answers that Isabelle could give. Determined to understand the situation herself, Isabelle started digging into the facts surrounding the case and she quickly realized that there were some sinister dealings happening within the police force and Isabelle did not know whom she could trust.

Ryan was reeling from the death of his brother, especially difficult was his wondering what motivated his brother to take the risk. Even though he knew that Isabelle was not at fault he could not help his anger towards her. Ryan was determined that he would find the one who killed his brother and he would end him! While on the hunt for his brother’s killer it became apparent that Isabelle had kicked a hornet’s nest of some kind and that she was in danger. Ryan may have been angry at Isabelle but he didn’t want anything to happen to her either. Figuring that together they could get more done, they teamed up.

While working together, both Isabelle and Ryan realized that there was a certain chemistry between them (although Isabelle had had a long time crush on Ryan) but they had little time to explore that realization because someone wanted Isabelle dead and they weren’t going to stop until they had what they wanted. As Isabelle and Ryan dug deeper, the attempts on Isabelle’s life grew quite dastardly, but they did not let that stop them. They had to uncover the truth no matter what the cost and when the truth was revealed it hit closer to home then they could have ever imagined and would rock the police force to its very core!

The action in Oath of Honor was exciting, intense, and many times I wondered if things were going truly work out for the characters. I was kept on the edge of my seat with suspense and there was a darker edge to this story that I was never expecting. I absolutely loved this story and it hit all the right notes for me! This will be a series that I happily continue! There was indeed a romance element in this story as well as faith element but they were both balanced quite nicely with the suspense element being the show stopper. For fans of Author Dee Henderson, I cannot recommend this book enough to you! Oath of Honor was the kind of story that kept me on my toes from beginning to end with all the right elements packed into a thrilling ride of twists and turns with an outcome that was shocking, what fun! ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jul 2, 2018 |
Lynette Eason is one of my new favorite authors for her ability to combine mystery/suspense with a touch of romance. This book focuses on Isabelle (Izzy) St. John and Ryan Marshall. I listened to the CD audiobook version and CDs 2 & 3 were apparently mislabeled by whoever produced them for the library versions. This made for quite a bit of confusion when inserting what was supposed to be disc 2 and having it start with Ryan's partner, Ryan, and Izzy interviewing the Gills (people that I had no idea who they were or how they fit into the story at that point--because all that was covered in the material on CD 3). I even pulled out the CD to make sure I hadn't inserted the CDs in the wrong order and confirmed it said Disc 2. It wasn't until I started Disc 3 that I realized the two were transposed.

Both Ryan and Izzy have to deal with family trauma in this book. Both families have strong support for each other, so I know they will pull through the rough spots. Izzy seems to have a magnetic attraction to trouble. In addition to a hushed up kidnapping event that occurred prior to this book, she gets dangled from a building, shot at, strangled, almost blown up, and hanging from a helicopter.

You pretty much know that Ryan and Izzy will get together since much is made that both of them are attracted to each other. Ryan has held off because Izzy's twin Derek warned him off ever dating her, but the more he's around her, the harder he finds it.

I didn't see the twist of who was behind the scheme that permeates the book. I had to find out the clues along with the characters. In a couple cases I realized significance slightly before the author had the characters put it together, but in most cases I did not.

I was glad to see that Kevin Marshall's and Johnathan Gill's idea come to fruition in the epilogue. I would (and have) read more by this author. ( )
  JenniferRobb | May 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Oath of Honor is the first book in a new series, Blue Justice, by Lynette Eason. I enjoyed reading it. The plot moved along at a quick pace, with lots of twists and turns that added to the mystery and kept me guessing until the end. The characters were believable and well developed. This is the first book I have read by this author – but it won’t be the last! I am looking forward to reading the next one in this series. I won this book through LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers’ program. ( )
  peggy.s | Apr 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very interesting story if you can find your way through the two main characters' families. A bit confusing with two families who have known each other for so long working in law-enforcement and medical services. The book divides itself over Thursday to Tuesday with chapters in each day. There is lots of action, and a lot of characters in the plot as would be expected in fighting crime. Loss, old and new, plays a large role within these law-enforcement and homicide workers.

The book begins with a bang, crime, death, recovery and secrets. As a reader I feel for these people who suffer loss whose family members are sworn to protect, and those with members killed in war. Those who do escape work with precision and stealth to solve crimes while the suspense, twists and turns speed up. A partner who Izzy has known for a lifetime, headstrong and with the faulty confidence of youth is killed in a stakeout. Who killed her partner and what can she do about it? Why did her partner ask her to hide his phone as he was dying? Why was her brother acting so strangely? Who killed who? Why is Derek, the twin brother of Izzy, so secretive?

This book is realistic, fast-paced, provides a genuine fascination to the reader. Lynette Eason is an author who understands what a reader wants and needs in a book, a superb author. Definitely one to add to my list of favourites. ( )
  readerbynight | Mar 31, 2018 |

Publisher Annotation: Police officer Isabelle St. John loves her crazy, loud, law-enforcement family. With three brothers and two sisters, she's never without someone to hang out with--or fight with. And she knows they'll be there for her when things get tough. Like when her partner is murdered and she barely escapes with her own life. Determined to discover exactly what happened, Izzy's investigation sends her headfirst into a criminal organization, possibly with cops on the payroll--including someone from her own family. With her dead partner's handsome homicide detective brother Ryan shadowing her every move, Izzy's head is spinning. How can she secure justice for her partner when doing so could mean sending someone she loves to prison? And how will she guard her heart when the man she's had a secret crush on for years won't leave her side? Blue justice series, (Original), 368pp.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lynette Eason's book Oath of Honor is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible