Lake Silence (2018)

by Anne Bishop

Series: The Others (6)

Vicki was hoping to find a new career and a new life. But when her lodger, Aggie Crowe ' one of the shape-shifting Others ' discovers a murdered man, Vicki finds trouble instead. The detectives want to pin the death on her, despite the evidence that nothing human could have killed the victim. As Vicki and her friends search for answers, ancient forces are roused by the disturbance in their domain.… (more)
Recently added bybookworminc, Callsigntinks, private library, TaleisinVP, AprilBPL, Tarynleigh13

I mean, damn

Not the same characters as the original books.

Somehow, better.

There is a real-ness to the characters, a depth, that doesn’t appear in a lot of books.

This is also an excellent introduction to the world of The Others. You can read this quite easily without reading the previous novels. But they are still connected.

These are not your grandpa’s werewolves and vampires.

This is superior writing.

I will pre-order the next novel as soon as it becomes available, even at full price.

Look at me. I’m gushing!!

Still, one of the best series out there. Unique and well done. ( )
  wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
I mean, damn

Not the same characters as the original books.

Somehow, better.

These are not your grandpa’s werewolves and vampires.

This is superior writing.

Look at me. I’m gushing!!

Still, one of the best series out there. Unique and well done. ( )
  wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
This is a new book in the Others series but this one is in a new setting with new characters. Lake Silence is in the middle of Others territory and deals with Vicki running a hotel that was part of her divorce settlement. The catch with the hotel is no real expansion can be done to it without the Others approval. When her ex husband tries to take it back from her and ignore the contract that was set in place when the land was first leased from the Others to his family then the problems start.

This book can be a good starting point in the series but it does give away some of the stuff from the previous books but it does stand on its own as a new start to the series. A good read both for newcomers and for the faithful fans of the series.

Digital review copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
Listened to audio narrated well by Alexandra Harris. Another amazing story in a different part of the world as previous books. Vicki has taken over the inn she was awarded in her divorce settlement. The Others are watching and waiting. When a murdered man is found on the property a plot is slowly uncovered as her abusive ex tries to reclaim the property. Lots of new characters, love interests are low key as Vicki suffers PTSD from her previous abuse. LOVED this story, can't wait for more.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Vicki is no Meg, it’s true. But, I still liked her. Sometimes I wanted to slap her and tell her to wake up, but I liked her, and I LOVED Aggie & Cougar & Conan & Ilya & Ineke & Julian & the lady of the Lake & Aiden... Even Fred & Larry. Lots of great new characters with the same fun quirks and TI ways of thinking.

This one was more of a murder mystery, and you get to see more of and hear more from The Elders in the Lake Silence area. That was fun! I have every expectation of loving this new series as well. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Lake Silence by Anne Bishop
Fantasy -March 6th, 2018
5 stars

As the latest installment in Anne Bishop’s Others series she takes a turn and focuses on another seemingly unremarkable human and her interactions with the Others.

Vickie DeVine is middle aged divorcee and finally free of her domineering husband. After a messy settlement, she has gains a little money and a lake side estate her husband never wanted. Now she plans to renovate and create into a haven for paying guests. But her first guest is not the naive young girl she thinks. Instead, Aggie is an Other. A female that can shift into a Crow. Although not the strongest of the Others, she is different and deadly. And historically humans have feared and hated that which they do not understand. But Vickie still sees Aggie as an individual and cares for her instead of discriminating against her. Unfortunately, Aggie has found a dead body and Vickie feels impelled to report the dead man to the police. The consequences of finding the young man reveal an evil plot to hurt Vickie and harm the Others in the area. Can the fragile peace between the powerful Others and the humans last? Or will Vickie and the well meaning humans find themselves facing another natural disaster?

The Others are powerful beings, they include shifters and vampires which often see humans as prey i.e. edible. And there are also more scary Others known as elementals which can command the weather, land or sea. They can essentially destroy a town with a thought. Since the Others own the land and water, humans live there on their sufferance. Unfortunately, humans are greedy and want more. And they do not learn from their mistakes. Many have a history of trying to trick and discriminate against the Others. When their new human friend Vickie is threatened by devious humans who want to harm her the Others come out in force and it is a fascinating and terrifying read. The Others have so much power. Something that many of the humans just don’t understand or remember in their petty manipulations. This series brings up many issues such as domestic violence, abuse and prejudice. But in this story the author gives the underdog the power to retaliate. I liked that Vickie is starting a new life and finding new friends, humans and 'Other'wise. I also enjoyed reading the how the supposedly primitive and violent Others have more empathy and caring than ‘normal’ humans. Human beings fascinate them but they are slowly learning the intricacies of human lies and intrigue. Because of this the story often felt on a knife’s edge. Would the Others stop the villains and discover their plans in time?! How would they retaliate? The reader will root for Vickie and her friends. One thing is for certain, there is nothing like Other justice!

Fast paced, riveting read that will have you unwilling to stop turning the pages!

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club
added by 1BookaholicsReviewer | editBookaholics Romance Book Club

Anne Bishopprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auerbach, AdamCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boone, BlairAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carroll, StephenCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corless, Laura K.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, AlexandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comTitle page artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

In memory of
Mike Briggs
and
Emma Lee
You are missed.
January 2017
I wouldn't have known about the dead man if I hadn't walked in to the kitchen at the exact moment my one and only lodger was about to warm up an eyeball in the wave-cooker.
Every terra Indigene settlement has a Reader. I wasn't really the proprietor of a human business. Like Honoria Dane, I was the token human who provided a valuable service by bridging the cultural gap between The Others and the residents of Sproing. (chapter 20)
While I enjoyed reading thrillers, I didn't want to be the girl tangled in the plot of one because I would have been the heroine's best friend or the girl who had fallen for the hero -- the girl he felt some affection for because she had given him sex while he was getting over the loss of his one true love. Those were the girls who ended up getting tossed in the wood chipper or left at the bottom of a deep, dry well full of spiders and millipedes -- said well suddenly refilling, quite inconveniently, so the girl would be found but not in time, especially if she was the passing love interest of the hero of the story. Those were also the girls who would be tied up in a cave and left to become the frame for a bat guano sculpture. (chapter 22)
It wasn't feeling competitive -- well, not much anyway -- that made him [Grimshaw] glad Julian's horse also looked like a plodder so he wasn't the only one riding a horse that might as well have a sign pinned to its tail that read, MY RIDER IS A STUPID BEGINNER. I'LL HANDLE THIS. (chapter 41)
We waved and walked away. In my head, I could hear the voice of one of those nature show narrators. 'A member of the team had direct contact with two humans in the wild. Though skittish, the humans remained long enough to exchange a few stilted sentences with the team member before making excuses to return to the safety of a human den.' (chapter 58)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,775,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible