dismiss

A Light in the Window (1996)

by Jan Karon

Series: Mitford Years (2)

3,205292,871 (3.99)58
In the gentle tradition of James Herriot, Bailey White, Ferrol Sams, and Garrison Keillor, Karon continues the fresh and beautifully written story of a small mountain town in the South. The village rector, Father Tim, can no longer deny his feeling for his neighbor. But what about the wealthy widow who has been wooing him with casseroles? It's clear that Father Tim is in need of divine intervention.… (more)
    At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon (rxtheresa)
    rxtheresa: First book in this series

This is the 2nd novel in this Mitford series and picks up where book one left off. This small town is never boring and there is always something going on. As the back cover says so well regarding this book and Father Tim: "His attractive neighbor is tugging at his heartstrings. A wealthy widow is pursuing him with hot casseroles. And his red-haired Cousin Meg has moved into the rectory uninvited." I found myself laughing out loud a couple times in this story. It is not, for me, a spell-binding, can't -put -down kind of story, but a refreshing, see- what- happens -next in this town and to Father Tim kind of story that I can pick up and read a few chapters whenever I have some time. Will definately continue to read the other books in this series. ( )
  judyg54 | Apr 14, 2020 |
Father Tim—Mitford's rector and lifelong bachelor—is in need of divine intervention. His attractive neighbor is tugging at his heartstrings. A wealthy widow is pursuing him with hot casseroles. And his red-haired Cousin Meg has moved into the rectory, uninvited.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Mar 20, 2020 |
American author, Mitford Series 2, married Cynthia, Dooley off to school, not keeping ( )
  Judebird | Aug 23, 2019 |
I'm not sure if I can finish this [I'm almost at the half-way point]. I read the first in the series, and it was cute enough. Well, clearly I'd forgotten a lot. It's actually rather saccharine and corny, but this is ever so much worse than the first one.

It seems that Rev. Tim, a 60-year-old, life-long bachelor, Episcopalian priest has become besotted with his neighbor, the lovely Cynthia Coppersmith, who has amazing legs. But, Cynthia is working in New York, trying to finish up a book. So, we're "treated" to their love letters back and forth, love letters that sound like they might have been written by 14-year old adolescents. I literally thought I might vomit in the middle of a chapter that was just back-and-forth letters.

In the mean time, a rich widow, Edith Mallory has designs on Fr. Tim, and she is not at all shy about letting him know about her designs. Yuck!

Life's too short for this crap. I'm done! ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
A return to Mitford finds Father Tim with woman problems - he has a weird "cousin" arrive unexpectedly from Ireland, girlfriend issues with Cynthia, and widow Edith is anxious to replace her deceased husband with him.

It was a heart-warming read, but I really had a hard time staying connected to the story. I don't think I will be reading anymore from this series, just too blah for me. ( )
  cyderry | Mar 14, 2019 |

Jan Karonprimary authorall editionscalculated
McDonough, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ulrich, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

City and town life - United States - Fiction 2nd in Mitford series
Welcome back to Mitford, the little town with the big heart.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,201,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible