The Julius House by Charlaine Harris

The Julius House (1995)

by Charlaine Harris

I love the Aurora Teagarden Mystery series. I would classify The Julius House as a conventional mystery, although I find it along the lines of cozy-ish. Charlaine Harris knows how to assemble intricately contrived, yet plausible murder scenarios that definitely excite and entertain the reader. I've been astounded by the outcome of the murder mystery each time I've read one of the books in this series. Thankfully, she's adding new books to the series and I eagerly await what she will cook up in the ones that are to come. And now a synopsis of The Julius House...

Aurora (Roe) Teagarden's new husband, Martin, has bought her The Julius House as a wedding present. But this is no ordinary house. The Julius House was home to a family of three that disappeared approximately six years before. It's like they just vanished into thin air. The only relative who can relate what happened on that fateful day is Melba Totino, the mother of one of the occupants, Hope, who was married to T.C. Julius. The two lived in the house with their teenage daughter, Charity. Melba lived in a little apartment above the garage adjacent to the house. On the morning the family vanished, Melba had stepped over to the house to cook breakfast for the family as usual. According to her statement to police, when she went there that morning nobody was in the home. The couples' vehicles were in the garage, the house was undisturbed, but the family was gone. Six years later they're still missing.

Roe feels unsettled and determined to find out what happened to the Julius family. Could they be dead somewhere on or around the property? She's determined to do some digging to put her mind at ease. Unfortunately, the Julius family is not the only mystery she's interested in solving. It seems her new husband has got some secrets of his own. For instance, just who is the mysterious, odd married couple that Martin has informed Roe will be living with them in Melba's old apartment over the garage? Why is he vague about who they are and why they're there? It becomes clear that Roe just might have her work cut out for her as she goes on a mission to uncover both mysteries.

I can always count on being fully immersed in an Aurora Teagarden murder mystery. I enjoyed this book immensely. Most definitely recommended. ( )
  Lauigl | May 23, 2017 |
Not quite up to Harris' normal standard for entertainment value but still worth doing if you enjoy her writing--always competent and a wonderfully easy, entertaining read. ( )
  turtlesleap | Nov 20, 2016 |
From Amazon:
Love at first sight turns into newlywed bliss for former librarian Aurora Teagarden-until violence cuts the honeymoon short. Wealthy businessman Martin Bartell gives Roe exactly what she wants for their wedding: Julius House. But both the house and Martin come with murky pasts. And when Roe is attacked by an ax-wielding maniac, she realizes that the secrets inside her four walls—and her brand-new marriage—could destroy her.

My Thoughts:

232 pages of excitement, wonderful characters and a really good mystery. The Aurora Teagarden books are perfect for those that don't want a lot of blood and gore in their mysteries. A really fun and quick read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
One day read...... perfect after working a twelve hour Mothers Day Shift. Escape- ism at it's best.
  MissItaly | Jan 28, 2016 |
i don't really like Aurora. she bores me or irritates me. i just don't like her as a person. i am on the third book and i keep reading the series cuz i like the town and some of the other characters and the lil mysteries. plus Aurora keeps changing so i keep hoping she'll change so i like her. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
My thanks to the Reverend Gary Nowlin, attorney Mike Epley, Arkansas state park ranger Jim Gann, chemist Glenn McCelland, Dennis of the Georgia State Forensic Department, and Dr. Aung Than for their help with various parts of this book. Mistakes are my own, not theirs.
The Julius family vanished six years before I married Martin Bartell.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425222039, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:03 -0400)

In Georgia, former librarian Aurora Teagarden is overjoyed when her new husband, rich and handsome Martin Bartell gives her a house as a wedding present. Intrigued, too, as the house once belonged to a family which simply disappeared. But when she tries to satisfy her curiosity with a bit of snooping, she is nearly killed by an ax-wielding attacker. Which sets her to thinking, whom exactly did she marry? By the author of Three Bedrooms, One Corpse.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,155,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible