Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History…

Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History

by Vashti Harrison

Based on her popular Instagram posts, debut author/illustrator Vashti Harrison shares the stories of 40 bold African American women who shaped history.

I really liked this book because it lists and gives descriptions of many black women who have changed history. I enjoyed this book because you learn about so many different women just by little excerpts that are given about their lives. I think this book would be good to read to your class, especially during black history month. During February, you could read about one or two women a day, and let the kids research them and ask questions. I really liked this book because it's not often that women are recognized for their role in changing history, especially not black women. I think this book is good because it gives young black girls role models to look up to, and they can finally see themselves in books. ( )
  ShannaYoung | Sep 25, 2019 |
This was a beautifully illustrated collection of biographies of black women who hold significant positions in American history. The biographies were short, highlighting the major events of each woman's life and her contributions to history. The illustrations accentuated this major events by displaying the thing that the woman was most often associated with. I loved the fact that each woman's face was somewhat generic, with the same expression on each face, allowing young black girls to imagine themselves in each woman's shoes.

My only real complaint with the book is the lack of of queer women. Audre Lorde is featured, but her queer identity isn't mentioned. I had hoped that a trans activist such as Marsha Johnson or Miss Major would be featured, or at least mentioned in the short section at the end, "More Little Leaders," but they were absent. I don't believe queer identities should be hidden from children under any circumstances, so I found this oversight incredibly disappointing. Black women have contributed as much to queer rights as they have to every other rights movement this country has ever undergone and that contribution should be recognized in collections such as this.

Despite this lack, this is still a collection that should be in the hands of every child, regardless of race or gender. ( )
  irasobrietate | Jun 4, 2019 |
Age Range: 8-11
Grade level: 3-7
This book is bout forty trailblazing black women in American history. Readers will find heroes, role models, and everyday women who did extraordinary things, Bold women whose actions, and beliefs contributed to making the world a better place for a new generations of girls and women to come.
the leaders in this book may have been little, but the all did something big and amazing, inspiring generations to come. ( )
  lewisl6 | May 14, 2019 |
This book was great. The illustrations were uniform, but also accentuated the differences of each woman's contributions. There is just enough information about each women to be an accurate mini-biography while still encouraging self study for a reader. ( )
  tkappleton | May 12, 2019 |
The artwork caught my eye when I was looking through books to select. Then, I decided to take a better look. I am happy with my choice to select this book for my reading list. This book includes 40 biographies of African American women that helped shape history. This is a nonfiction book where the author wrote about a black female leader in history and then illustrated a picture of them. Little Leaders by Vashti Harrison teaches and inspires as it tells true stories of black women who broke boundaries and achieved beyond expectations. Readers will find heroes, role models, and everyday women who did extraordinary things within this book. Harrison highlights strong women whose actions and beliefs contributed to making the world better for generations of girls and women to come. I loved reading about all the women in this book! I am also in love with the author’s illustrations! ( )
  tatalai | Apr 20, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,741,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible