This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of…

This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women

by Jay Allison (Editor), Dan Gediman (Editor)

Other authors: Sarah Adams (Contributor), Phyllis Allen (Contributor), Isabel Allende (Contributor), Elvia Bautista (Contributor), Leonard Bernstein (Contributor)31 more, William F. Buckley, Jr. (Contributor), Niven Busch (Contributor), Benjamin Carson (Contributor), Greg Chapman (Contributor), Warren Christopher (Contributor), Mary Cook (Contributor), William O. Douglas (Contributor), Albert Einstein (Contributor), Bill Gates (Contributor), Newt Gingrich (Contributor), Martha Graham (Contributor), Temple Grandin (Contributor), Brian Grazer (Contributor), Brian Greene (Contributor), Victor Davis Hanson (Contributor), Helen Hayes (Contributor), Robert A. Heinlein (Contributor), Kay Redfield Jamison (Contributor), Penn Jillette (Contributor), Helen Keller (Contributor), Alan Lightman (Contributor), Thomas Mann (Contributor), John McCain (Contributor), Rick Moody (Contributor), Errol Morris (Contributor), Colin Powell (Contributor), Jackie Robinson (Contributor), Studs Terkel (Foreword), Arnold Toynbee (Contributor), John Updike (Contributor), Rebecca West (Contributor)

This is an amazing collection. Old and new essays, beautifully intertwined. It's thought provoking to see how essays written fifty years ago, if they are sound of theme, still resonate today. ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
Based on the NPR program of the same name, this collection features 80 essays written by people both famous and not detailing the core beliefs that define them. Some of these essays were light, funny, and whimsical, while others were deeply spiritual, philiosophical, and politically charged; one even brought me and the co-worker who was listening with me to tears. However, there was not a single one that failed. Each told a unique story about the individual who wrote it.

I had the pleasure of listening to an audio recording of this collection. Each essay was presented by the original author with an introduction by Jay Allison or Edward Murrow who hosted the original 1950s series. Hearing each essay in its authors own voice lent a special quality to this book, so that the listener heard the essay as the writer intended. There was no questioning the meaning and intent behind their words.

Before I had even completed my listen I bought the ebook, as I knew that I would want to go back to reread and reference both the essays and the notes at the end on how to write my own essay. There is something for everyone in this book, and there is not a single person to whom I wouldn't recommend it. In fact the only reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 is because the studio where I work can get noisy and I couldn't clearly hear all of them. There is a strong possibility that as I go back and reread the essays I missed that I will wish I had rated it higher. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Mar 1, 2016 |
I don’t listen to anywhere near enough NPR, in my own opinion. Especially considering that I missed all of these wonderful audio essays as they’ve aired over the years. I was familiar with the This I Believe project back in the 1950s and 1960s, hosted by Edward R. Murrow. I’d even seen a couple of books compiling some of those classic essays in print form. But I was unaware of the more recent revival of that series on today’s National Public Radio. This I Believe (both eras) was an attempt to summarize the personal beliefs of not only significant (i.e. “famous”) members of society, but also everyday people. Contributors were asked to provide a short written essay beginning with the declarative statement “This I Believe”. Those essays were then recorded for sharing over the radio airwaves.. This 5-CD set compiles 8 of those audio essays, a mixture of both the 1950s recordings and those which were recorded and aired in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Most of the audio recordings are by the writers of the original essays. The themes and tones of the essays can touch on religious, political, social and historical issues, but can also be highly personal. The necessity of brevity forces the essayists to distill their thoughts down to the absolutely essential points. I found these recordings very thought-provoking, and many of them were quite moving.

Originally reviewed for my local library's website in August 2013: http://lincolnlibraries.org/bookguide/staff-recommendations/staff-recommendation... ( )
  cannellfan | Feb 26, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading these essays. Written by common citizens as well as easily recognized people of fame, they tell of the personal philosophies that these people have developed in their lives. Some are religious, some are political, some are very deep and philosophical, and some are light and funny, but all are worth the time spent reading them. I read the book as I read a novel, but honestly, you could just sit and pick it up whenever you have a couple of minutes and cherry pick an essay that appeals to you at that moment. My favorite two essays were one written by Jackie Robinson, "Free Minds and Hearts at Work", and one written by a 16 yr old boy, "Tomorrow Will Be a Better Day". I will be re-reading these essays over and over again and at some point I hope to take the time and write my own. I think it's an important skill - to be able to put into words what you really believe. ( )
  tnociti | Apr 16, 2015 |
Absolutely loved reading this book. I remember writing my own "This I Believe..." in high school and found it fascinating to read about what other people believe and why. Some things seemed completely random, while others were inspiring and still others challenged my own ways of thinking. Wonderful book/ ( )
  theadawn | Dec 13, 2012 |

Terkel, StudsForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Toynbee, ArnoldContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Updike, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
West, RebeccaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"A welcome change from the sloganeering, political mudslinging and products of spin doctors."--The Philadelphia Inquirer

Based on the NPR series of the same name, This I Believe features eighty Americans--from the famous to the unknown--completing the thought that the book's title begins. Each piece compels readers to rethink not only how they have arrived at their own personal beliefs but also the extent to which they share them with others.

Featuring many renowned contributors--including Isabel Allende, Colin Powell, Gloria Steinem, William F. Buckley Jr., Penn Jillette, Bill Gates, and John Updike--the collection also contains essays by a Brooklyn lawyer; a part-time hospital clerk in Rehoboth, Massachusetts; a woman who sells yellow pages advertising in Fort Worth, Texas; and a man who serves on Rhode Island's parole board.

The result is a stirring and provocative trip inside the minds and hearts of a diverse group of people whose beliefs--and the incredibly varied ways in which they choose to express them--reveal the American spirit at its best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:48 -0400)

Presents a collection of eighty essays exploring the personal beliefs of a diverse assortment of contributors, both famous and unknown, who reflect on their faith, the evolution of their beliefs, and how they express them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible