This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of…

This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women

by Jay Allison (Editor), Dan Gediman (Editor)

Other authors: Sarah Adams (Contributor), Phyllis Allen (Contributor), Isabel Allende (Contributor), Elvia Bautista (Contributor), Leonard Bernstein (Contributor)31 more, William F. Buckley, Jr. (Contributor), Niven Busch (Contributor), Benjamin Carson (Contributor), Greg Chapman (Contributor), Warren Christopher (Contributor), Mary Cook (Contributor), William O. Douglas (Contributor), Albert Einstein (Contributor), Bill Gates (Contributor), Newt Gingrich (Contributor), Martha Graham (Contributor), Temple Grandin (Contributor), Brian Grazer (Contributor), Brian Greene (Contributor), Victor Davis Hanson (Contributor), Helen Hayes (Contributor), Robert A. Heinlein (Contributor), Kay Redfield Jamison (Contributor), Penn Jillette (Contributor), Helen Keller (Contributor), Alan Lightman (Contributor), Thomas Mann (Contributor), John McCain (Contributor), Rick Moody (Contributor), Errol Morris (Contributor), Colin Powell (Contributor), Jackie Robinson (Contributor), Studs Terkel (Foreword), Arnold Toynbee (Contributor), John Updike (Contributor), Rebecca West (Contributor)

Series: This I Believe (1)

I enjoy NPR and was really excited to read these essays, but was left a bit disappointed. It felt as if many of the individual essays were written "off-the-cuff" or rushed without the usual polish and editing normally associated with a printed work as opposed to a radio interview. A good read overall but, if you're looking for the punch of a TED talk or something similar, you could be left wishing for more. ( )
  dele2451 | Dec 26, 2018 |
I found this to be an uplifting inspirational book. I love its concept. ( )
  joyfulmimi | Sep 10, 2018 |
Based on NPR's Series this is a book about random people, written by said random people. You have to enter in to it with those things in mind. I have skimmed through the reviews to figure out why some people disliked it so much and it seems to me that they picked up the book expecting something other than what the book is.

Some writers did a better job than others at catching the attention, but over all, I enjoyed listening to everyone's essays. (I listened to the audiobook, which many make a difference in perception of the collection as a whole.) I enjoy listening to the stories of other people, I enjoy seeing different perspectives on the same theme, so I think that is why I enjoyed this look at humanity through the eyes of strangers. I wasn't aware of this project, but I will keep up with it now. ( )
  mirrani | Jan 23, 2017 |
This is an amazing collection. Old and new essays, beautifully intertwined. It's thought provoking to see how essays written fifty years ago, if they are sound of theme, still resonate today. ( )
  Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
Based on the NPR program of the same name, this collection features 80 essays written by people both famous and not detailing the core beliefs that define them. Some of these essays were light, funny, and whimsical, while others were deeply spiritual, philiosophical, and politically charged; one even brought me and the co-worker who was listening with me to tears. However, there was not a single one that failed. Each told a unique story about the individual who wrote it.

I had the pleasure of listening to an audio recording of this collection. Each essay was presented by the original author with an introduction by Jay Allison or Edward Murrow who hosted the original 1950s series. Hearing each essay in its authors own voice lent a special quality to this book, so that the listener heard the essay as the writer intended. There was no questioning the meaning and intent behind their words.

Before I had even completed my listen I bought the ebook, as I knew that I would want to go back to reread and reference both the essays and the notes at the end on how to write my own essay. There is something for everyone in this book, and there is not a single person to whom I wouldn't recommend it. In fact the only reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 is because the studio where I work can get noisy and I couldn't clearly hear all of them. There is a strong possibility that as I go back and reread the essays I missed that I will wish I had rated it higher. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Mar 1, 2016 |

Terkel, StudsForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Toynbee, ArnoldContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Updike, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
West, RebeccaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"A welcome change from the sloganeering, political mudslinging and products of spin doctors."--The Philadelphia Inquirer

Based on the NPR series of the same name, This I Believe features eighty Americans--from the famous to the unknown--completing the thought that the book's title begins. Each piece compels readers to rethink not only how they have arrived at their own personal beliefs but also the extent to which they share them with others.

Featuring many renowned contributors--including Isabel Allende, Colin Powell, Gloria Steinem, William F. Buckley Jr., Penn Jillette, Bill Gates, and John Updike--the collection also contains essays by a Brooklyn lawyer; a part-time hospital clerk in Rehoboth, Massachusetts; a woman who sells yellow pages advertising in Fort Worth, Texas; and a man who serves on Rhode Island's parole board.

The result is a stirring and provocative trip inside the minds and hearts of a diverse group of people whose beliefs--and the incredibly varied ways in which they choose to express them--reveal the American spirit at its best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:48 -0400)

Presents a collection of eighty essays exploring the personal beliefs of a diverse assortment of contributors, both famous and unknown, who reflect on their faith, the evolution of their beliefs, and how they express them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,557,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible