Suffer the Little Children by Donna Leon

Suffer the Little Children (2007)

by Donna Leon

English (21)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (29)
Mystery set in Venice. ( )
  EvaW | Apr 9, 2017 |
Donna Leon’s Commissario Guido Brunetti Venice-centered mysteries are always a delight. Low key, witty, and descriptive with interesting, realistic characters and a glimpse at the frustrating ways of trying to solve crimes while working around the restrictive regulations and the political hack who heads the department.
In SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN, a pediatrician and his wife were asleep when a masked trio burst into their apartment. The doctor managed to pound one of the assailants on his nose but the doctor himself ended up in the hospital with a head injury, unable to speak. The attackers took away his eighteen-month-old son.
It turned out the attackers were Carabinieri, members of an official national military police force. The kidnapping was part of a multi-city raid targeting families that had adopted their children through a private source, lying about the parentage of the babies. The children were placed in orphanages, which really upset Brunetti..
Brunetti and his partner, Inspector Vianello, set out to find out how the doctor was targeted and how the entire adoption program worked. They uncovered a ring that involved pharmacists, doctors and pregnant women willing to sell their babies.
Once again, wealth and position do have advantages in the culture.
There is an interesting section about finding the truth on the internet and changes in birth rates.
It’s wonderful being able to read a novel that doesn’t include unnecessary violence, foul language, or sex scenes. Unfortunately, the chapters are unnecessarily short. ( )
  Judiex | Apr 1, 2017 |
The parallels were aggressively pat, but the narrative was still interesting. The antipathy between the carabineri and the regular police force was interesting. Are the carabineri analogous to our state troopers? ( )
  themulhern | Jan 6, 2017 |
A very ponderous outing for Commissario Brunetti. A bit too much moralising and lacking in action. ( )
  sianpr | Dec 11, 2016 |
All through this book, I couldn’t figure out why I kept reading it. I guess it is because I am very interested in the Italian people and their worldviews. I kept waiting for the exciting beginning to pay off (Midnight raid by corrupt national police. Baby selling.), but all that happened is I ended up a bit angry at myself for wasting time. Nothing much happens in the middle 200 or so pages, and the ending concerns the “B” plot, which is never linked to the “A” plot, and neither one is resolved. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Welche Freude wird das sein,
Wenn die Götter uns bedenken,
Unsrer Liebe Kinder schenken,
So liebe kleine Kinderlein!

How happy we will be
If the gods are gracious
And bless our love with children,
With darling little children!
--Die Zauberflöte
--The Magic Flute
Mozart
For Ravi Mirchandani
'. . . and then my daughter-in-law told me that I should come in and tell you about it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143113615, Mass Market Paperback)

A riveting new mystery from international bestseller Donna Leon

Donna Leon?s Commissario Brunetti series has made Venice?a city that?s beautiful and sophisticated, but also secretive and corrupt?one of mystery fans? most beloved locales. In this brilliant new book, Brunetti is summoned to the hospital bed of a respected pediatrician, where he is confronted with more questions than answers. Three men had burst into the doctor?s apartment, attacked him, and kidnapped his eighteen-month-old son. What could have motivated an assault so violent that it has left the doctor mute? And could this crime be related to the moneymaking scam run by pharmacists that Brunetti?s colleague has recently uncovered? As Brunetti delves deeper into the case, a story of infertility, desperation, and illegal dealings begins to unfold.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:03 -0400)

A brutal attack on a pediatrician by a Carabiniere captain and two privates, who also take away the doctor's eighteen-month-old son, draws Commissario Guido Brunetti into a dangerous case involving a ring of baby traffickers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,078,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible