Cuore by Edmondo De Amicis

Cuore (1886)

by Edmondo De Amicis

English (4)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (7)
1 vote librisalexandria | May 29, 2010 |
I read this novel when I was a child and I have always carried it deep in the back of my mind. The story is seen through the eyes of Enrico, a school boy in 19th century Italy. Reality is not disguised as in American children's books. Enrico witnesses sudden deaths, disease, punishment, poverty, not happening to his family but to school mates and neighbors. This issue has the original illustrations that my childhood copy had. ( )
  librisalexandria | Apr 16, 2010 |
After it was issued in 1886, the success of Cuore was immense: in a few months it was printed in 40 Italian editions and translated into tens of languages.

I have now read or skimmed the book anew. In the Czech preface we are told that "its aim is to prompt the youth to a love of one's country, to love school, to honour work and above all to esteem the sacrifices of one's parents." Its account of a year in the life of a twelve year-old Italian boy is composed of tales of life in the classroom, (there are 54 boys in the class!), in the streets of Turin, the interactions in the protagonist's family and the tale of the month.

De Amicis is masterful in tugging at the heartstrings, in his appeal to emotionalism. A young boy being scolded by his grandmother heroically saves her life, dying himself, by throwing himself in front of her as she is about to be killed by a robber, in one of the monthly tales. Another boy travels across the Atlantic by himself in search of his momma, and after months of great tribulations finds her as she is turning down a life-saving operation. Hope is restored for her, and she lives. The protagonist himself (Jindrich in Czech, Enrique in the Italian) receives letters from his father, mother, sister in the course of the year taking him to task for his rudeness or lack of affection shown by him to another family member, urging him to beg forgiveness, which is granted. The plight of the blind, the mute and especially the poor is shown us in heart-wrenching excess.

For the ten to fifteen year-olds of all ages, of all times, the book is enormously appealing. Didactic, black-and-white morality, heroism, patriotism, with a generous pouring of sugary affection.

As Professor Higgins says in Pygmalion, "how ghastly! how delightful!"
2 vote polutropos | Apr 11, 2009 |
I read it as a small kid and loved it. ( )
  Niecierpek | Dec 16, 2006 |

Edmondo De Amicisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brink, M. tenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferraguti, ArnaldoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nardi, EnricoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seiffert, W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cuore (1984TVIMDb)
Cuore (2001TVIMDb)
This book is specially dedicated to children in the elementary schools between the ages of nine and thirteen, and it could be called 'The Story of a School Year, Written by a Third Year Pupil in an Italian Council School'. When I say written by a third-year pupil, I do not mean to say that he himself wrote it exactly as printed. He wrote down little by little in an exercise book as well as he could what he had seen, heard and thought in and out of school; and at the end of the year, using those notes, his father wrote these pages, taking care not to change the thoughts and, as far as possible, using his son's own words. The boy then reread the manuscript four years later when he was already at the grammar school and made his own additions using memories still fresh of people and things. Now read this book, children. I hope that you will be pleased with it and profit from it.
Today is the first day of school.
Rispetta la strada. L'educazione di un popolo si giudica innanzi tutto dal contegno ch'egli tiene per la strada. Dove troverai villanie per le strade troverai villanie nelle case.

This Elibron Classics book is a facsimile reprint of a 1913 edition by Fratelli Treves, Milano.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:51 -0400)

An Italian boy records his thoughts and feelings inside and outside of school during one year.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible