Beyond the Point: A Novel by Claire Gibson

Beyond the Point: A Novel

by Claire Gibson

No tags.

This is a fantastic debut novel about women and their friendships. It has three realistically written women as main characters who become friends and maintain that friendship during trying times. It's amazing that this is a debut novel and I can't wait to see what this author writes in the future.

Dani, Hannah and Avery meet when they start college at West Point. They all play on the basketball team and become good friends as they struggle with the workloads at West Point. All three of them are faced with discrimination against women at West Point as well as in their lives when they leave college and go out into the world. Their friendship is what helps them all through their bad times.

This is a wonderful novel about friendship and love and courage. I loved the three main characters and admired what they went through at West Point as well as in their lives in the military. I also like that the author wrote them so realistically and we see their flaws as well as their good points. I highly recommend this novel.

Thanks to goodreads for a copy to read and review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  susan0316 | Jan 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beyond the Point is a good enough piece of chick lit with a military setting. Three girls bond on the women's basketball team their plebe year at West Point and grow up through graduation and into young adulthood. The insider's look at West Point (Ms. Gibson grew up there) was interesting and entertaining. On the other hand, I found it hard to take classroom discussions or religious insights very seriously. Nevertheless, I kept reading to a satisfactory conclusion. ( )
  LizzieD | Dec 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to LibraryThing and Wm. Morrow for this ARC.

I wouldn't say this is woman's fiction at it's best but it's good fiction.

I give a lot of credit to women who go into the military. It shows how hard the training is, especially for women.

Avery, Hannah and Dani are not only in it together at West Point, their friendship holds the strength of time over the few years this takes place through good times and bad. Their personalities and ethnics and race and religion are all different but it shows how much they admire and love each other.

I would love to see what happens next with these three women in the future since they were only 23 years old.

I would give it 3 and 1/2 stars. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Dec 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this novel from Early Reviewers because my niece just graduated from West Point. The first third of the novel was great and just what I was hoping for, a good primer of the unique experience of West Point and follows the three main characters through their days in college. While the plot moved quickly and took me easily through the rest of the novel, the plot got a little looser after that and, in trying to follow three threads, didn't quite flesh any of the three out as deeply or well as the first third. Ultimately, the Evangelical Christian messaging that was the wrap-up was a bit of a turn off to me (although, if it had been a part of a single story, it would have worked better for me). I do think that my niece (who is a recent grad and and Evangelical Christian) would enjoy it very much. I intend to recommend it to her. ( )
  Well-ReadNeck | Dec 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This story of the three friends with totally different personalities and coming from different parts of the country was absolutely refreshing! It had a real plot, not just a sappy women’s friendship novel. I loved the inside story of what it would be like to be a woman at West Point, few novels touch on that. The story of the one friend who ends up in business was a realistic description of that corporate culture. The reader is given enough background that she can feel the pain and bitterness of one of the women when something she had planned for falls apart.
There was a little too much emphasis on faith and religion thrown in, but not too preachy. ( )
  claudiaannett | Dec 19, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Claire Gibson's book Beyond the Point is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,630,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible