Lucifer: A Dalliance with the Damned by Mike…

Lucifer: A Dalliance with the Damned (2002)

by Mike Carey

Other authors: Peter Gross (Illustrator), Ryan Kelly (Illustrator), Dean Ormston (Illustrator)

Series: Lucifer (3), Lucifer TPBs (3)

Written by Mike Carey; Art by Peter Gross, Dean Ormston and Ryan Kelly; Painted Cover by Christopher Moeller LUCIFER, A DALLIANCE WITH THE DAMNED finds the Lightbringer hard at work on a New Creation - outside the bounds of any authority but his own, complete with a new pair of inhabitants for a new Garden of Eden. But as he tries his hand at universe-building, back on Earth (and in Hell) schemes and betrayals continue to grow. Reprints LUCIFER #14-20.… (more)

Felt more like a bridge than it's own story, but still a good read with some excellent moments. I rather hope we get to see more of Christopher Rudd ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
I'll confess that I don't particularly care about Christopher Rudd and his adventures in Hell. For me, at least, it's the low point of the series, as there's just so little at stake watching a bunch of demons stabbing each other in the back.

It's a shame too, because this volume really gives Mazikeen a chance to shine, and it also contains Lucifer's first attempt at creation. And what a great idea that is. Lucifer, as a character, has always been opposed to God, but how often has he actually been given a chance to act independently? To stop back-seat driving, get behind the wheel, and take us where he wants to go? ( )
  jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
So at the end of the second volume of Lucifer, Children and Monsters, I was already beginning to weary of the format (Lucifer goes somewhere, seems to be in trouble, turns out to have known everything all along), but there was a nugget of an idea that demonstrated promise for a future installment: Lucifer had borrowed the demiurgic power of his brother Michael to create a new universe.  Woah.  It seemed as though this wasn't going to be a series about a Mean Wizard beating Meaner Wizards; Lucifer was going to be about something.

A Dalliance with the Damned delivers on the promise of those final moments of Children and Monsters.  The highlight here is undoubtedly the sequence where Lucifer creates a garden with a man and a woman in it, and gives them only one commandment: "Bow down to no one. Worship no one. Not even me."  Of course, there's a snake in the garden, there always is.  The snake in this case is an angel from our universe, who tells the man and the woman that if their maker will not give them strictures, they should make their own.  And so it ends badly.  But unlike the Lord, Lucifer admits that there must have been a flaw in his design, and so does away with them.  Here is the true potential of a story about Lord Lucifer leaving Hell.  If Lucifer decides not to rule in our universe anymore, what is the kind of place he would consider acceptable?  Carey plays with some great ideas here, and comes up with answers that were new to me, at least.

The rest of A Dalliance with the Damned is good, too, thankfully.  While Lucifer is trying to arrange his garden, young Elaine Belloc discovers that she has more powers than she thought in an encounter with Brute and Glob of Simon/Kirby fame.  Elaine ends up in Hell, but gets out; she's a good character, and provides a much-needed human anchor in the cosmic struggled that beset this series.

The bulk of the book is taken up by the story "A Dalliance with the Damned" itself, which is largely Lucifer-free, detailing political machinations in Effrul, a domain in Hell.  What shakes things up in Effrul is that Lady Lys, the daughter of Lord Arux, the demon archduke of Effrul, brings a human up from the damned to be her sexual plaything.  Christopher Rudd is a great character, a man who killed an innocent boy in a moment of anger three hundred years ago, and so has suffered ever since.  Lady Lys even turns out to be a good character, which I did not anticipate at first, as she begins to take too much of an interest in her plaything.  Complicated politics are the order of the day, but they're interesting politics, with good ideas backing them, and some pretty unexpected outcomes.  I wouldn't have thought that a sidestep like this would work, but it does completely.

If Lucifer can keep this level of quality up, it will be a great series indeed.

Lucifer: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »
1 vote Stevil2001 | Jan 27, 2012 |
He made Duma speak. That's just plain wrong. Having said that, I do have a weakness for the court of Arux in Effrul. This was good fun. ( )
  elmyra | Mar 30, 2009 |
This just gets better and better. I adore the idea of a hell themed along the lines of 18th century Europe; lots of echoes of de Sade and pre-Revolution France and things of that nature. Lucifer's Creation is fascinating and twisted and many kinds of wrong. His creation of Adam and Eve, his commands to them not to worship him, the ways in which it doesn't (or does?) work, free will... what I love about this is that it is a series which, like Sandman, makes you think. I'm really intrigued to see where they are going to take this, and what they are going to do with the storyline involving Mazikeen. I'm also anticipating major fireworks involving Elaine; since, well, let's face it, if you're the daughter of the Archangel Michael, things are bound to happen to you.
1 vote siriaeve | Apr 26, 2008 |

Mike Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gross, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kelly, RyanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ormston, DeanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Vae, gaudium fugax! There is a garden in the east, serene and perfect, but a seraph guards it with a flaming sword.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,821,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible