A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

A Light in the Attic (1981)

by Shel Silverstein

Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

Age Range: 6-8
Grade Level: 1-3
This book has characters like Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meenio with an Exactly Watt, and the Polar Bear in the trigidaire. You will find out what happens when somebody steals your knee from Broiled Face. Read this book to find more remarkable characters through profound poems the will have you coming back for more. ( )
  lewisl6 | May 14, 2019 |
I remember the moment I saw this hardcover book for the first time, it was at Hynes, in my Grandmother's classroom. So many summer days spent - wishing I was playing with friends - not decorating for the upcoming school year ....again. Instead, I get lost in the black sketches, clearly labeling which poems were my faves by earmarking small edges hoping my Gram wouldn't see, in efforts to find them easier.

Great summers were sponsored by Shel Silverstein's work. For that, I'm grateful. ( )
  NDeBlieux | May 3, 2019 |
I thought that this book was very creative book of 12 poems. The poem I specifically chose for this review was, " A Light in the Attic". In my opinion, this is a good poem, and I liked this poem. The language used throughout this piece is very poetic and descriptive. As I read the piece, I got the impression that it creates a spooky tone to its' story based on the language used. The writing in this story is very short and to the point. However, for me, this lead me to want more out of the story. I was eager to know what would happen next if the story were to continue, which to me, makes a good piece of writing.
When it comes to the illustrations for this piece, there is only one. It is a drawn picture of a face with crazy hair and eyes. I think this illustration helps to add to the spooky tone of the piece which can help the readers set a tone before reading , just simply based off of the illustration. When it comes to the overall big idea or message of this poem, I truly do not think there is one. This is the first book review that I have done where the story does not have a big message or idea based off of the piece.
Overall, all of the poems throughout this book are very well written and each one has its' only style and tone to it. I believe this book is a great example that should be included in the classroom for young students who are just beginning to write poetically. ( )
  djerga1 | Mar 13, 2019 |
I love "A light in the Attic," by Shel Silverstein. I had Most of Shel Silverstein's books as a kid. Well, I still do. The language used throughout is metaphorical, poetic and descriptive. There is no plot as it is a humungous poetry book. It pushes readers to think critically in order to interpret the poems. I am not sure what his big idea in all of his poems are. I do think that reading them always made me a better poet.
  ctrain6 | Mar 13, 2019 |
A Light in the Attic delights with remarkable characters and hilariously profound poems in a collection readers will return to again and again.

Here in the attic you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel (Amazon).
  znwhitta | Aug 29, 2018 |
Mr. Silverstein's work remains a must for lovers of good verse for children. Quite like nobody else, he is still a master of delectable outrage and the proprietor of a surprisingly finely tuned sensibility.

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel.
From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings. (CHARLES DUFF REVIEW BELOW) This eclectic collection of children’s poems with exaggerated accompanying sketches makes for an entertaining book. The poems are relatively short, varying between a few sentences and two pages, are in a narrative style. They are humorous and offer up a terrific way to get kids generally interest in poetry. School Library Media Specialists can use this book during book talks as an independent reading book. It's an appropriate book to introduce in the later elementary grades and even into middle school. Shel Silversteins website offers games and additional education resources for teachers and kids: http://www.shelsilverstein.com/indexS...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256737, Hardcover)

A Look Inside A Light In the Attic Special Edition
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"Backward Bill" "Presents, Presents, Presents"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,738,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible