A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

A Light in the Attic (1981)

by Shel Silverstein

Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Shel Silverstein is always brilliant! His rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
(3.2)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
This collection of poetry is a classic from my childhood and I still read it with the same enjoyment as I did as a child. The book contains poems under a lot of different categories. As with most Silverstein work, the rhyming and the imagery is very strong and worthy of any classroom analysis. One of my personal favorites from this book is Bear in There. The poem has very unique enjambment which has always been appealing to me. Along with all the goodness of word in this book, the artwork also sparks the imagination of any reader.
  qrennaker | Aug 12, 2014 |
I chose this book because I feel it would be very useful because it has several good poems in it that can be useful to the students. Many of the poems that are in the book are there to help children learn good values and also teach them valuable life lessons. I remember reading several of these poems when I was in school. I feel that since there is so many different things that a teacher can use in this book it allows them to structure their lesson on which poems they want to use. ( )
  loganbuttram330 | Jul 21, 2014 |
Summary:
This book, written by Shel Silverstein contains humorous children's poems. Each poem is very funny and quirky, leaving much room for little imaginations to grow. The poems are about all kinds of subjects that kids can easily relate too.
Personal Reaction:
This is a favorite from my childhood. These poems are so unique and are sure to stick in your head for a while. Even reading them as an adult, they are still hilarious and exciting.
Extension Ideas:
1. For your favorite poem, draw a picture that would explain what is happening in that poem.
2. Write your own poem.
3. Copy a poem out of the book in cursive.
  alexis.smith | Jul 18, 2014 |
Mr. Silverstein's work remains a must for lovers of good verse for children. Quite like nobody else, he is still a master of delectable outrage and the proprietor of a surprisingly finely tuned sensibility.

Shel Silversteinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
alfred hitchcocksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
joyce carol oatesAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shanna
There's a light on in the attic.

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel.
From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings. (CHARLES DUFF REVIEW BELOW) This eclectic collection of children’s poems with exaggerated accompanying sketches makes for an entertaining book. The poems are relatively short, varying between a few sentences and two pages, are in a narrative style. They are humorous and offer up a terrific way to get kids generally interest in poetry. School Library Media Specialists can use this book during book talks as an independent reading book. It's an appropriate book to introduce in the later elementary grades and even into middle school. Shel Silversteins website offers games and additional education resources for teachers and kids: http://www.shelsilverstein.com/indexS...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256737, Hardcover)

A Look Inside A Light In the Attic Special Edition
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"Backward Bill" "Presents, Presents, Presents"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:03 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,413,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible