A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

A Light in the Attic (1981)

by Shel Silverstein

6,986192517 (4.3)63

This book has different stories in it. It is made up of poems and drawings. The stories are all about different things. They range from fiction to non fiction.

Personal Reaction:
Good books for all ages. The author is awesome. I loved reading these books as a child.

Classroom Extension:
I would have the children pick a poem from this book and illustrate their own drawings to go along with what the story is about.
Have the children attempt to write a poem.
  rocquel | Nov 29, 2015 |
This book is a collection of some of Shel Silverstein's poems and drawings. They are about all different things. They go from fiction and nonfiction to made up things.

Personal Reaction:
I loved reading these collection of books when I was younger. I cannot tell you how many times I have read them. They are a great read for all ages.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the kids pick out a poem from the book and draw their own picture to go along with it.
2) Teach the children about rhyming words.
3) Have the children try and write a poem of their own.
  connorshayne | Nov 18, 2015 |
This book consists of a collection of poems and drawings targeted at a young audience. Through the use of rhyming words, humor, and art, each poem tells a story. In addition, many of the poems extend from other writings, such as nursery rhymes, but brilliantly take on a life of their own.

Personal Reaction: I love this book just as much as I did as a child. I think this a great book that sparks the imagination and leaves the reader wanting to read more.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I could have the children each chose their favorite poem to memorize and recite in front of the class.
2. I could have the students each write their own poems similar to the ones in the book and have them add their own illustrations.
  Stacie_Larsen | Nov 18, 2015 |
I would definitely use this in a classroom where I was introducing poetry. I love how many ideas and lessons could be used to create a better classroom environment.
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
Endless poems and stories fill this book from cover to cover. ( )
  Blaire_Stewart | Nov 16, 2015 |
Mr. Silverstein's work remains a must for lovers of good verse for children. Quite like nobody else, he is still a master of delectable outrage and the proprietor of a surprisingly finely tuned sensibility.

Shel Silversteinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
alfred hitchcocksecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
joyce carol oatesAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Shanna
There's a light on in the attic.

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, and find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, you get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, a Mountain snores, and They Put a Brassiere on the Camel.
From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings. (CHARLES DUFF REVIEW BELOW) This eclectic collection of children’s poems with exaggerated accompanying sketches makes for an entertaining book. The poems are relatively short, varying between a few sentences and two pages, are in a narrative style. They are humorous and offer up a terrific way to get kids generally interest in poetry. School Library Media Specialists can use this book during book talks as an independent reading book. It's an appropriate book to introduce in the later elementary grades and even into middle school. Shel Silversteins website offers games and additional education resources for teachers and kids: http://www.shelsilverstein.com/indexS...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256737, Hardcover)

A Look Inside A Light In the Attic Special Edition
(Click on Images to Enlarge)

"Backward Bill" "Presents, Presents, Presents"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:41 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems and drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible