Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle

Mister Seahorse (2004)

by Eric Carle

851None10,476 (3.87)1
animals (38) art (7) baby (21) camouflage (14) Carle (10) children (16) children's (19) children's literature (6) Easy (9) eggs (16) Eric Carle (56) family (29) father (8) father and child (9) fathers (42) fiction (32) fish (52) hardcover (7) ocean (82) ocean animals (12) oceans (12) picture book (78) read (9) science (21) sea (15) sea animals (8) sea creatures (6) sea horse (8) seahorse (40) seahorses (33)

English (53)  Dutch (1)  All languages (54)
I think I like this so much because so many of the male fish are stepping up for parenting, ha ha ha ha ha ( )
  emtimmins | Apr 3, 2014 |
Mister Seahorse is an informational picture book that tells the stories of the many male sea creatures that carry and take care of their babies.

I loved the texture of this book! The pages were of varying material, including a transparent plastic page that had see weed printed on to is. This made it look like the sea creatures were hiding behind the weeds. The colors were very bright and the images were fun and comforting. Also, the language itself was really applicable and understandable to the intended audience. Again, I am a fan of Eric Carle! ( )
  aelmer | Mar 13, 2014 |
My daughter loved lifting the acetate insert pages to see who was hiding behind them.

Great story about a variety of undersea daddies who take care of their babies. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
I read Mr. Seahorse for our assignment on visual literacy. Here is what I had to say. I chose this book because it has been a family favorite since my 9-year-old son was born. Eric Carle makes simple but colorful collage pictures of fish fathers. Every few pages is an acetate page that hides or camouflages another fish. The colors are bright and the mood is upbeat. I think Carle’s style of collage and cut paper is impressionism but I could also see it categorized as expressionism. ( )
  JenWinans | Feb 27, 2014 |
I enjoy Eric Carle's artwork, I find it really cool. The story was also really informative. ( )
  marycha | Oct 15, 2013 |
Mr. and Mrs. Seahorse drifted gently through the sea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399242694, Hardcover)

Are you ready for a scintillating seahorse fact? The father seahorse is the one who carries the mother's eggs around in his pouch before they hatch. In Mister Seahorse, master collage artist Eric Carle teaches preschoolers this lesson and introduces them to a few other fish who bear the traditionally maternal burden of caring for eggs: the stickleback, tilapia, Kurtus nurseryfish (known here as Mr. Kurtus), pipefish, and bullhead catfish. As ever, it's Carle's art that steals the show. Cut-up tissue paper soaks up the watery paint and makes for a boldly colorful, almost jewel-like undersea journey. The story? Well, repetition is the heart of instruction, after all.

Most of Carle's books employ some sort of gizmo or gadget--and this one is no exception. Here, for a splendid lesson in camouflage, colorful acetate sheets mask marine life that is revealed as the child turns the page. Children may take comfort in the devotion of these undersea fathers...except perhaps at the very end when the father seahorse says to a freshly hatched sea-pony who wants back in the pouch: "I do love you, but now you are ready to be on your own." (Preschool) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:26 -0400)

After Mrs. Seahorse lays her eggs on Mr. Seahorse's belly, he drifts through the water, greeting other fish fathers who are taking care of their eggs.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible