Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle

Mister Seahorse (2004)

by Eric Carle

English (64)  Dutch (1)  All languages (65)
I really enjoyed this one by Carle, the colors were really bright and attractive to the eye. I also liked the transparent pages in between the regular pages that certain sea animals were hiding behind. I find in Carle's books he uses a lot of repetition and he is trying to get a point across by repeating the same phrases. I love swimming myself, so this one was special to me. I always say in another life, I'd like to live underwater! ( )
  tturkmen | Nov 2, 2015 |
Mister Seahorse - Eric Carle

Mister Seahorse is a story of a male seahorse carrying his eggs, and discovering other male fish who also follow an atypical birth cycle. I think this book is important and expressive, finding a beautiful balance between brilliant artwork and interesting science. I believe this book could be used to spark interest in student exploration on fish life cycles and artistic expression. ( )
  kconnolly14 | Jul 22, 2015 |
Mister seahorse carries his babies all around and protects them from other animals.
  margaritamunoz14 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This book is very interactive because readers have to look through and turn pages with different sea creatures habitats on them in order to see the different sea creatures. It is a fun way to learn where some animals live and tells us the fact that male seahorses give birth to their babies. This book is fun for grades kindergarten through second grade.
  Sarah.Lew | Apr 29, 2015 |
I love the artful designs and creative illustrations that Eric Carle always brings to his text. This story is useful for teachers in that it could be used as an informational text about how sea-daddies take care of their young. It also could lead into a reproduction biology discussion or lesson. ( )
  Kdd026 | Apr 26, 2015 |
Mr. and Mrs. Seahorse drifted gently through the sea.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399242694, Hardcover)

Are you ready for a scintillating seahorse fact? The father seahorse is the one who carries the mother's eggs around in his pouch before they hatch. In Mister Seahorse, master collage artist Eric Carle teaches preschoolers this lesson and introduces them to a few other fish who bear the traditionally maternal burden of caring for eggs: the stickleback, tilapia, Kurtus nurseryfish (known here as Mr. Kurtus), pipefish, and bullhead catfish. As ever, it's Carle's art that steals the show. Cut-up tissue paper soaks up the watery paint and makes for a boldly colorful, almost jewel-like undersea journey. The story? Well, repetition is the heart of instruction, after all.

Most of Carle's books employ some sort of gizmo or gadget--and this one is no exception. Here, for a splendid lesson in camouflage, colorful acetate sheets mask marine life that is revealed as the child turns the page. Children may take comfort in the devotion of these undersea fathers...except perhaps at the very end when the father seahorse says to a freshly hatched sea-pony who wants back in the pouch: "I do love you, but now you are ready to be on your own." (Preschool) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

After Mrs. Seahorse lays her eggs on Mr. Seahorse's belly, he drifts through the water, greeting other fish fathers who are taking care of their eggs.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible