The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field…

The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip (1997)

by Joanna Cole

Recently added byEllenFrentzen, private library, mtzionlibrary, smcs, Sorcyress, kel.wright

This book is good for two reasons. The first reason is the characters. In this book, like the others, Ms. Frizzle takes her class on another wild field trip to see where electricity comes from, how it is harnessed by electricity plants, how it is distributed to the users, and how it powers devices. The whole class and Ms. Frizzle shrink down to ride the electric current back to the classroom. The second reason is the illustrations. The illustrator gives detailed graphics to accompany the text. Each time Ms. Frizzle explains something, it is very easy to tell exactly what she is describing. When she describes the way electricity is harness in power plants, the illustrations are very vague in detail, except for the process using the rotor, the sator, and the magnets. The overall theme of this book is to educate the young reader about electricity, and its uses. ( )
  mmoria4 | Mar 29, 2017 |
This book was extremely informational with the main message being what electricity is and how it works. The book is laid out in such a way that there are facts no matter where you look on the page, yet they are given to the reader as characters thoughts and homework. This structure of the story made the information easier to comprehend and more enjoyable. The pictures also made the information the story was discussing come to life in a child friendly way, yet it was still fun. After all, what type of bus can go INSIDE an outlet. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 26, 2016 |
I love anything Magic School Bus related, and the electric field trip was truly electric. I found this book and got so excited because many of my students' homes lost power in the recent storm and we had a really interesting conversation about electricity. This book explains what I was trying to explain in a fun and creative way, and I would definitely read this to my class. Maybe not all at once but bit by bit! ( )
  sommerkirk | Oct 21, 2016 |
Factual. (fiction but full of facts.) This is a fun book to use when paired with the TV show. Also good for students that can read on their own so that they can read all of the speech bubbles on their own time. ( )
  amassingale | Sep 14, 2016 |
I forgot how much information is really packed into Magic School Bus books! The book takes readers on a journey through electricity starting with the talking about what uses electricity to work around us, and then broke it down in terms of atoms. A thunderstorm conveniently knocked out the electricity in the classroom, so after Ms. Frizzle explained the electricity in lightning, they took a field trip to find the cause and ended up traveling through a power plant and electrical system. The book is full of illustrations and kid-friendly jokes and speech bubbles, yet the content is rich with vocabulary. I even learned some new things about electricity!

In a classroom, this book could be used for so many things! Not only is it fun to read, but it also holds so much information. It would be a great addition to a STEM lesson, and could be followed by students completing their own circuits! ( )
  apoffenroth13 | Sep 6, 2016 |

Cole, Joannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Degan, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
TO Rachel---Watt a gal! J. C.
To Trevor and Garrett and all the Roses, especially Matt, who opened my line to the electric company. B. D.
It looked like rain on the day Ms. Frizzle decided to teach our class about electricity.

To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Scholastic is re-releasing the ten original Magic School Bus titles in paperback. With updated scientific information, the bestselling science series ever is back!

Small enough to squeeze through power lines, Ms. Frizzle's class learns how electric current travels through the town, lights up a light bulb, heats up a toaster, and runs an electric motor. Fans of the Magic School Bus won't be left behind by this simple and informative introduction to the generation and distribution of electricity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

Ms. Frizzle takes her class on a field trip through the town's electrical wires so they can learn how electricity is generated and how it is used.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,830,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible