Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's…

Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America

by Molly Ivins, Lou Dubose (Author)

I loved the title; the book was ok. it was hard for me to follow. I'm not sure if it is because it is full of political jargon I'm not used to or the scattered writing. It doesn't seem to follow a logical progression. A little redundant. However, I like the message and it is very shocking to hear how bush has been destroying laws made to protect the "little guy". It's all for big corporations and big 'badness' which helps the richest of the rich! The poor keep getting poorer. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 21, 2017 |
Book on CD read by Molly Ivins

The subtitle really says it all. Oh, how I miss Molly Ivins!

Ivins was a political commentator / journalist based in Texas. In an earlier book, she and Dubose examined the George W Bush’s flawed policies and abysmal record as governor of Texas. In this second book on “Dubya” they look at his presidency and how he has used many of those same strategies in running the nation.

It’s a somewhat dated book, today, and yet frighteningly appropriate in this “primary” season. Ivins doesn’t pull any punches and gives many examples of the effects of his ideology and policies on mainstream Americans struggling to make it – heck, forget “succeeding,” they’re struggling to survive.

Molly Ivins does a great job reading the audio. I feel like my best friend is just telling it like it is over a morning coffee (or a scotch at the bar)….

BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Published in 2005 and written before the 2004 election but uncannily apt now. The legacy of the Bush years and the various and colossal messes are all laid out in their full horror. Brilliant, witty, acerbic, funny, all at once and much too accurate. I felt a particular pang at the mention of ACORN and wished even more that Molly was still with us.
2 vote amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Well, it is September 7th which means that it is the Australian Federal Election, and it is also the last day that I have to put up with the internet bombarding me with all of this political advertising. I remember that only a few years ago I could flee to the internet to escape the relentless bombardment of political advertising that dominated our televisions during the election campaigns but now, thanks to Barak Obama (and to a limited extent, Kevin Rudd) this has all changed. Due to the success of both parties in moving election campaigns online there is now nowhere you can escape the relentless bombardment of soundbites trying to convince you why you should not vote for the other guy.
I sometimes wonder if this is what political campaigning has become. Okay, granted, politicians lie, they always have and they always will. The only reason that they want the job is because of the power, prestige, and money that comes with the position. However the real question is whether they actually give a shit about the country that they are running, and most people simply say that they don't. This was the case in point with George W Bush. In a way he needed the votes to get himself elected, but the only America that he seemed to really care about was the America that was inhabited by the wealthy one percent. It is not that this has changed all that much under Obama, but at least he is trying to move the country in a new direction.
I guess the reason that I have become so disenchanted with politics is that the right wing parties seem to believe that they are the only party who are capable of managing the economy and running the country. However, managing a country and managing one's personal finances are two completely different things. It is okay to cut away non-essentials when managing your own house hold budget, but when it comes to managing a country, things change dramatically because the definition of non-essenstials change. Okay, granted, many of the right wingers seem to believe that they should not be paying for something that they are not using, such as public schools. However, the cost of a decent public education has become so prohibitive that I am actually loathe to have children because I cannot simply afford to give them a decent lifestyle.
The problem with the whole user pays idealism is that it is first of all simply plain selfish. While the top 1% enjoy the benefits of living in an advanced democracy, the rest have to scrounge money together to simply make ends meet, and that is not counting the fact that many of us end up going into debt to simply make those ends meet. In my time I have seen university education go from being free to being prohibitive. In fact, there are a lot of people at my work that have dropped out of university and started working simply because they cannot afford to go to university. Then there are people like me who are saddled with a HECS debt but am not earning anywhere near enough money that justifies the two degrees I have. Okay, I consider the HECS debt to be a claytons debt, that is a debt that is not really a debt. However, that may change with the new government (who I can forsee attacking the lower classes to support their upper class friends). In a way, with the cuts to public education, and to university, those of us in the lower classes are not only being denied education, and good quality education at that, but also the ability to earn a decent income. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Apr 21, 2014 |
This is a partisan book, and it has every right to exist. A Texas Democrat, Ms. Ivins has been on the case of the Bush Family for some decades, and I very strongly agree with most of her points. This is a book to weep over, if you are lamenting the death of the more liberal America. And with the right to bury the opposition with simple piles of money, the average American has every right to weep for the USA from now on! ( )
  DinadansFriend | Apr 10, 2014 |
Molly Ivins has often poked fun at President Bush for his manner of speaking, or "Bushisms." In her new book, Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America, the syndicated columnist, fellow Texan and long-time Bush critic takes on his dealings and policies, and what she says are their underreported effects on average Americans.
added by mikeg2 | editNPR, Ave Boner (Oct 30, 2003)

Molly Ivinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dubose, LouAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the memory of
six great and wonderfully nonconformist Texans.
They all persisted in the good fight to
make our state and our country a better place.

They were not well behaved.

To John Henry Faulk, freedom fighter, died 1990
To Bob Eckhardt, congressman, scholar, and cartoonist, died 2001
To Billie Carr, political organizer, died 2002
To Warren Burnett, trial lawyer, died 2002
To Maury Maverick, lawyer, writer, curmudgeon, died 2003
To Malcolm McGregor, legislator, bibliophile, and pilot, died 2003

We loved them all. It was the grandest privilege to know them.
There he was.
As full-time residents of the state that gave you tort reform, H. Ross Perot, and penis-enlargement options on executive health plans, we're obliged to warn you that if Dubya Bush had exported "the Texas Miracle," the country would be in deep shit. In public education there was no Texas miracle. The last Lone Star miracle we know of was the time the face of Jesus appeared on a screen door in Port Neches, and that's been more than thirty years.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375507523, Hardcover)

She tried to warn us: With the publication of Shrub in early 2000, syndicated columnist Molly Ivins detailed George W. Bush’s privileged rise and disastrous reign as governor of Texas in the mid- to late ‘90s. In Bushwhacked, she looks at his first term as president. The picture she paints is unremittingly bleak—unless, of course, you’re a big campaign donor well served by Bush’s prescription for all economic ills (deregulation, tax cuts for those who need them least, and lax enforcement of worker and environmental safety standards). As the only president in U.S. history to slash taxes and go to war simultaneously, Bush wins consistently low marks from Ivins for pursuing "crony capitalism" to its inevitably depressing extremes. While many of the topics covered here have been covered extensively (Enron, the war in Iraq), Ivins does a good job of building on what’s already been written (proving Bush’s close ties to former Enron chief Ken Lay, and laying out the fundamentalist, apocalyptic view of Iraq and the Middle East that drives Bush’s foreign policy). Ivins is particularly good in taking arcane federal regulations and showing how the Bush administration’s lax oversight has hurt ordinary Americans, making their jobs, homes, water, and food less safe. Ivins is no distanced observer. She’s clearly incensed by Bush’s policies, but her reporting is so detailed and writing so witty that even those who come to the book undecided about Bush will likely be outraged by the time they finish it. ----Keith Moerer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

From Molly Ivins and Lou Dubose, authors of Shrub, Bushwhacked is a hilarious, no-holds-barred look at George W. Bush and his administration, and an essential book for understanding the full, destructive impact of his presidency.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,423,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible