Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Asterix and the Goths by René Goscinny

Asterix and the Goths (1963)

by René Goscinny, Albert Uderzo (Illustrator)

Series: Astérix (3)

English (10)  French (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
Fun read about how the Goths capture Getafix as they want to use the magic potion to take over the known world, including the Gauls. However, Asterix and Obelix turn up and help save the day.. by starting an endless war that keeps the Goths distracted. ( )
  DeborahJade | Dec 25, 2017 |
After two rather disappointing issues, Asterix and Obelix's third adventure 'Asterix and the Goths' turned out to be a brilliant work. This issue's storyline is a bit complex. The druid Getafix wins the title 'Druid of the year' and became the target of the Goths from Germania, the very neighbouring state of the Roman occupied Gaul. The barbarian Goths kidnapped the druid and kept him captive. They want him to make them the magic potion that can give them superhuman strength. In order to conquer the Gaul and Germania, Goths need that superhuman strength. It's now totally up to Asterix and Obelix to rescue the druid and get him back to the village. In the rescue mission, they get involved in so many complex happenings; one incident leads them to another. This issue is a very funny one. Subtle jokes are cracked very often. Another important thing is the naming of the characters. Naming a Brit Valuaddetax (Value Added Tax), a German Electric or Euphoric is a very clever idea and these names also almost suggest the attributes of the respective characters. Very intellectual and very enjoying storyline. I particularly loved the ending of the story where our protagonists broke the unity of their enemies by engaging them in fighting one another using their greed for power and made it certain that they will not be disturbed in many years by the Goths.

A true classic comic book. Books like this can make the lives of children more enjoyable and let's not forget about the historical references as well. At times they can be quite didactic as well. Great work by René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo.
  Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
My first Astérix comic and probably the first of many I will read. It's a very quick read, although I did try to read slower in an attempt to ferret out some of the inevitable puns. I enjoyed all the character names and the fact that the Goths speak in Gothic lettering. Très divertissant! ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 7, 2015 |
In this third installment Asterix rescues Getafix from the goths and an important strategic tactic is demonstrated. It is to your benefit when your enemies are spending resources to fight one another instead of you. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Jul 8, 2014 |
It is really surprising to see how quickly the Asterix albums get quite good, and while this is not as good as The Golden Sickle (namely due to some of the content which I believe drags it down somewhat) this album is still gold. Asterix and the Goths carries on from where The Golden Sickle ends. Asterix and Obelix have just returned from Lutetia with Getafix's sickle, and Getafix now gets ready to travel to the Forest of Carnutes for the Druid Convention. However, at the same time, some Goths cross the frontier into the Roman Empire to kidnap the druid that is elected the greatest druid for the year. This turns out to be Getafix, thanks to his magic potion. Asterix and Obelix must then travel to the land of the Goths to attempt to locate him and rescue him.
It is very clear in this album that the Goths are the Germans, and they are not portrayed all that well. They are painted as barbarians who fight amongst themselves and are planning on using the druidic magic to invade and conquer the Roman Empire. This is a theme that has popped up in a previous book, where a centurion discovers the magic potion, and tries to steal it for himself so that he might overthow Ceaser and rule the Empire. The thing is is that the Gauls and the Goths were effectively the same race. The Gauls were not French, they came a lot later: the Gauls, like the Goths, were Celtic. That is beside the point though because Asterix is not meant to be reflective of the time, but rather of modern society.
It does make me wonder, though, how it is that a story set in Ancient Rome can be reflective of the modern world. While Rome brought about civilisation, it is not as if France of 1963 was ruled by any foreign powers. Yes, throughout her history, France had been subject to numerous foreign invaders, but they themselves were also the invader, particularly during the Napoleonic Wars. Maybe the idea is that the Gauls are representative of the ordinary people and the Romans are representative of government. I suspect, and I know that it is true here in Australia, that when you go out into the rural regions, there is a much stronger distrust of government than there is in the city. I guess that is why the Liberal and National party tend to do a lot better in the country.
The end of the book was a little silly and quite amusing. It was silly because they start a war amongst the Goths by giving a select few a swig of the potion, and when they discovered that they are equally invincible, they raise armies to then slog it out. However, when the potion wears off, they are still at war and are now relying on their armies. What struck me was that the Goths did not spend the next few hundred years, as suggested, fighting amongst themselves. While they were disorganised tribes, they still were able to band together and drive out the Romans during the reign of Augustus. While that was not the height of the Roman empire, it was a massive defeat that drove them back over the Rhine, where they pretty much remained until the empire collapsed. I don't think Rome ever managed to conquer Germania (though the did manage to conquer Dacia).
The last thing I wish to mention is the little scene at the end which was really amusing, and really brings out Obelix's character. Somebody makes a comment about a 'free hand' and then about a page later Obelix suddenly cries out, 'I get it, a free hand!' and bursts out laughing, and ends up spending the rest of the album laughing about the 'free hand'. In a way me, as the reader, had no idea what was so funny, nor what was meant about the free hand, but having Obelix rolling around on the ground in hysteria was just golden. I probably should write something about the village, but there are plenty of more Asterix books to read, and I guess I will wait until I get around to reading them (or at least ordering them from Amazon). ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Mar 8, 2014 |

Hockridge, DerekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoekstra, JarichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Penndorf, GudrunTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RubricastellanusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In dem kleinen Dorf unsrer grossen gallischen Helden trifft Miraculix, der Druide, letzte Vorbereitungen für seine Reise in den Karnutenwald.

Whoops, it's happened again: Getafix has been kidnapped, this time by a raiding band of Goths. So it's onward and into Germania for Asterix and Getafix. But in the process of saving their druid, the two Gauls set off a whole series of tribal wars.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible