American Catholic by Charles Morris

American Catholic (1997)

by Charles Morris

Important for me because this is the book that I read that got me interested in the fascinating field of Catholic political history and doctrine evolution. Good survey of American Catholics. ( )
  Polymath35 | May 25, 2012 |
4325. American Catholic The Saints and Sinners Who Built America's Most Powerful Church, by Charles R. Morris (read 8 June 2007) I found this book unfailingly interesting, telling me things I had not heard before, even though I have done a lot of reading in Catholic history, including reading (on 30 Sept 1961) the classic account of the Americanist 'heresy': The Great Crisis in American Catholic History, 1895-1900 by Thomas T. McAvoy, C.S.C. But while the history part of this book is of high interest, the survey of Catholicism today, including the story of his visits to the very orthodox diocese of Lincoln, Neb., and to the liberal diocese of Saginaw, Mich., under Bishop Untener, make for fascinating reading and are handled not judgmentally in either case. I found this book held my interest all the way thru. ( )
  Schmerguls | Jun 12, 2007 |
To Simon Michael Bessie
Gothic cathedrals are leaping prayers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081292049X, Hardcover)

Few religions generate the type of emotional appeal, both positive and negative, associated with the Catholic Church. The role of women, abortion, sexuality, education, and politics all have been the subject of the Church's vast influence. This important, controversial, and colorful book recounts the recent history of the American Catholic Church, from the early 19th century to its dominant position in the 1950s to its relative decline today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible