Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind by Suzanne…

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind (1989)

by Suzanne Fisher Staples

Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan (Hollerama)
    Among Muslims: Meetings at the Frontiers of Pakistan by Kathleen Jamie (amyblue)
    amyblue: This is a fiction book but it is set in roughly the same area and very engaging. The sequel to Shabanu is Haveli

I liked the book quite a bit... right up until the last two or three chapters. In part, I wasn't entirely happy with the ending (I hated the way it worked out)... but I think that the bigger issue that I had was the abruptness of the ending, and the fact that we didn't see anything beyond that point. I was honestly reminded in the last few paragraphs of Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream"... for a book that had up until that point balanced it's lessons of consequences for one's actions with love and hope, it seemed to abandon all of those things at the most important moment. ( )
  cybermathwitch | Feb 6, 2014 |
1990 Newbery Honor

I really enjoyed the story and what I learned about Cholistan, but I was sad at the ending. It's totally realistic, but sad. ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Shabanu provides insight into the life and circumstances of the main character, Shabanu, who is facing the pressures of growing up and getting married. This book would be powerful in a multi-cultural unit, and when I read it originally in Middle School was able to really connect and relate to the main character since we were the same age. Due to the issues presented and the fact that Shabanu is herself female, this book will likely appeal more to girls than boys.

Reading Level: 7.6 ( )
  Kaitlyn.Johnston | Apr 22, 2013 |
1990 Newbery Honor

scote23 | Mar 30, 2013 |
This glimpse into another culture was interesting. However, I remain unconvinced that an audience of YA girls is going to understand the subtleties of the culture, politics and religion at play here. Parts of this will make women wince because the attitudes are so vastly different from our own American/European experience. The ending was harsh and abrupt, and while it may have remained true to the culture, I'm not sure it did any service to the story or to its intended audience. ( )
  AuntieClio | Jan 27, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440238560, Mass Market Paperback)

Life is both sweet and cruel to strong-willed young Shabanu, whose home is the windswept Cholistan Desert of Pakistan. The second daughter in a family with no sons, she’s been allowed freedoms forbidden to most Muslim girls. But when a tragic encounter with a wealthy and powerful landowner ruins the marriage plans of her older sister, Shabanu is called upon to sacrifice everything she’s dreamed of. Should she do what is necessary to uphold her family’s honor—or listen to the stirrings of her own heart?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:47 -0400)

When eleven-year old Shabanu, the daughter of a nomad in the Cholistan Desert of present-day Pakistan, is pledged in marriage to an older man whose money will bring prestige to the family, she must either accept the decision, as is the custom, or risk the consequences of defying her father's wishes.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,740,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible