Skin by Ted Dekker

Skin

by Ted Dekker

Writing: 4.5; great writing from Ted Dekker that leaves readers intrigued and hanging on for the next chapter; really quick chapters that are pure page-turners (I was actually able to read the whole book in just seven or eight sittings).
Theme: 4.5; five strangers are forced to stay stranded in the small town of Summerville thanks to a freak storm, yet a dangerous killer known as Red is lurking the town and has a vendetta against the five strangers and he plans to force them to kill one, and if they fail, he will kill as many townspeople as he needs to in order to force them to kill each other.
Content: 4.0; violence abounds in this volume as Red kills a couple dozen of people, with various methods (guns, knives, even a frozen chicken), with some fairly disturbing descriptions of the killings; one of the characters was also a former Satanist, and he resorts to it and creates a pentagram.
Language: 5.0; nothing too objectionable, the killer uses the term "whore" as an insult once or twice in the final chapters.

Skin is the second book I've read by Ted Dekker. I actually hadn't planned reading it initially, although I picked it up to read to pass some time and actually became enthralled by the premise: a killer on the loose in a small town, hunting down his victims when they have nowhere to go due to a crazy storm. Three tornadoes pop up and ravage the town, forcing five strangers to work together. They are Colt, a local police officer; Wendy, a girl born into a cult who has run away; siblings Carey and Nicole; and gamer extraordinaire Jerry Pinkus. They are all being hunted by Red, a dangerous killer with links to their pasts. He threatens to kill seven townspeople at different intervals if the five do not kill the "ugliest," although they are unsure if they mean physically or on the inside. As the five grow to know one another more, they become more opposed to the plan -- although the FBI believes one (or all) of them is the killer. The book is very suspenseful and it is a page-turner, with readers eager to dig deeper in. I will admit that the end (which I won't spoil) is a bit underwhelming, as the twist pretty much turns the whole story upside down. Still, it is a thrilling read that develops its characters and paints an exciting story and world. My only cautions are the amounts of violence to those who may find themselves squeamish, and other worldviews are presented (one character is a cult escapee and another appears to be a Satanist) without a clear connection being made to Christianity, as this is a Christian book (however, connections are drawn between Red and Lucifer in the final chapter). Highly recommended to lovers of mystery and suspense with these precautions. ***Finished April 14, 2019*** ( )
  DarthTindalus | Apr 15, 2019 |
Somewhat disappointed after all the glowing recommendations. Seemed to have minimal suspense. I'm open to reading another of his novels, this one was just not enjoyable to me. ( )
  gac53 | Jan 27, 2018 |
A killer is on the loose in a smalltown and seems hellbent on having 5 specific people kill each other, based on who is most ugly. It is just weird. Turns out it is all in a game" that is testing new tech on epileptic people. But the badguy is one of the players turned bad.

This was a thriller through and through. Some very vague references to universal truths, but without Christ, so it seemed like they were just kind of thrown in. I enjoyed this, knowing that things were NOT as they seemed, but having no idea how they were not :-) Dekker likes colors in regards to his villians names-Marsuvees Black, Barsidious White, Sterling Red in this one. Two things I didn't care for;
1: Tied it to the Circle Trilogy world, probably in reference to his new Lost Books quaddrilogy, just too blatant.
2: It ends with them still in the game, and you never know when or if they'll get out.

Other than those 2 things, this was a fantastic page turner that just entertained the darkside of me :-)" ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This book is about a few people who get money by using themselves to do crazy game projects.This time they had to beat the game to be able to go back to the real world. The game makes everything seem so real like you are actually living in it. You pretty much have to solve the mystery of who is the killer to escape the game which was really hard.There are about 5 different people who meet up and decide to beat the game to enter back into the real world. There are about 2 girls and the rest are boys. I am not going to put anything else about trhe story because it is a really good book and you should read it for yourself. ( )
  aisosae.g3 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Another creepy and bizarre offering from Dekker. Five strangers find themselves trapped in a small town, at the mercy of a serial killer who seems to be playing some sort of strange game with them. He wants them to kill the ugliest among them, or he will continue to kill the residents of the town. Its a curious premise, but plot holes abound as well as some disburbing scenes of violence. If you liked House by Dekker and Perretti, you will enjoy this one as it is somewhat similar. ( )
  debs4jc | Mar 15, 2012 |

Three tornadoes are bearing down on the town of Summerville. Under cover of this freak storm is a more serious threat, a vindictive killer known as Red.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible