No Talking by Andrew Clements

No Talking (2007)

by Andrew Clements

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (cf66)
    cf66: Ragazzi che cercano soluzioni con originalità a problemi quotidiani

The teachers at Dave's school call the 5th-graders The Unshushables, because they never stop talking. But that all changes when Dave and Lynsey start and boys-vs-girls contest to see who can last the longest without talking at all.
A fun read, but there's nothing earth-shattering here. ( )
  electrascaife | Oct 17, 2017 |
I have not yet read this book.
  LynneQuan | Sep 27, 2017 |
5 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a great book. One of the main things I liked about this book is that even though it was a chapter book, there were still a few pages with just pictures. Being able to look at the pictures helped me to relate to the characters because I could picture them in my head when I was reading about them. I also liked the plot of the story. It was very entertaining to read because I could picture the events happening in real life which made it easier to relate to. The main message in this story is that if at first you don't get along, try again because you could surprise yourself. Another main message is that students learn from teachers but that teachers can learn from students as well. ( )
  dberry6 | Oct 11, 2016 |
Dave wants to be like Gandhi and be silent to see if it'll really clear his mind as it did to Gandhi, But he mistakenly battles the 5th grade girls to a contest with no talking. Ground rules are made and the competition is in full effect. In the midst teachers start to notice and where some don’t seem to be bothered by it others are. Later down the line, they are trying to make it where neither team loses or win. The boys and girls showed an recognizable amount of change during the book. They no longer cared about the competition because they like each other. I think students should be more quiet as they did in the book but rather at the correct time. I liked the maturity they gained throughout the whole book. It went to boys and girls arguing to them basically giving up the comp. I didn’t too much like the book, but it was really decent and taught a great lesson. ( )
  lasmith7 | Sep 17, 2016 |

From the dust jacket: "The fifth-grade girls and the fifth-grade boys at Laketon Elementary don't get along very well. But the real problem is that these kids are loud and disorderly. That's why the principal uses her red plastic bullhorn. A lot.
Then one day Dave Packer, a certified loudmouth bumps into an idea - a big one that makes him try to keep quiet for a whole day. But what does Dave hear during lunch? A girl, Lynsey Burgess, jabbering away. So Dave breaks his silence and lobs an insult. And those words spark a contest: Which team can say the fewest words during two whole days? And it's the boys against the girls.

How do teachers react to the silence? What Happens when the principal feels she's losing control? And will Dave and Lynsey plunge the whole school into chaos?

This funny and surprising book is about language and thought, about words unspoken, words spoken in anger, and especially about the power of words spoken in kindness... with or without a bullhorn."

The noisy fifth grade boys of Laketon Elementary School challenge the equally loud fifth grade girls to a "no talking" contest.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,009,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible