Ashling by Isobelle Carmody

Ashling is the third book in The Obernwetyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody which was first published in 1995. I'm really enjoying this series. Elspeth is becoming a young woman in Ashling. She is slowly learning and very slowly accepting her fate of being the savior of Obernewtyn and the animals. It's a lot for someone only about eighteen to take on, but Elspeth takes on the necessary responsibilities and grows ever stronger as a result. She knows she can rely on help from her friends, human and animal alike. It's a good series for older children through adults to enjoy! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 28, 2014 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 4 stars
I actually liked this one better than the first two in the series. Hope they keep getting better. They read more on level with Rick Riordan and other middle grade authors than full YA, but still enjoyable. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Elspeth begins workign with the rebels. She meets gypsies and joind forces with them. Working with the rebels is harder, half of them are against working with misfits. She has to hide some of her abilities other wise they probably wouldn't accept them. Malik (a rebel leader) is completely against it and chalenges the misfits. The misfits loose the chalenge, but relise they were not made for war.

This is probably one of my favorites in the series. When she first meets a gypsy he kisses her just to make her be quiet. In this one she also relises she likes Rushton. She catches him with a different girl but it was not what it seemed and they end up together in the end. I also got the impression that Damean (my favorite character) likes Elspeth too. he leaves them once he learns they are together. I really love the story.
  Talje.thoe2363 | May 31, 2012 |
While the overall storyline continues on, there are some nice resolutions in this novel and the introduction of wider world. Where the first book is located in one place, and the second in the neighboring vicinity, this one takes the reader (and significant characters in the book) onto the ocean and over into a land of heat and sand. As with other novels set post-disaster, I find myself wanting to know more about what happened before the disaster and where in the present world this new world is set. It keeps me reading! :) ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 20, 2012 |
Rushtonless for 400 pages, of course I had to give it only 3 stars!

I also think that A LOT of what goes on in this book is kind of pointless - all that story with the gypsies, and then with the rebels resulted in nothing, but I have to say the ending blew me away. :D

*PT* http://cuidadocomodalmata.wordpress.com/2011/11/05/ashling/ ( )
1 vote Jen7waters | Nov 5, 2011 |
At first sight, the gypsy woman appeared to be embracing the stake.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375857699, Mass Market Paperback)

As head of Obernewtyn’s Farseeker guild, Elspeth Gordie must travel to the lowlands to seal an alliance between Obernewtyn and the rebel forces that oppose the totalitarian Council. Yet her dreams call to her with an altogether different purpose: Elspeth must destroy what remains of the weapons that brought unimaginable chaos, death, and mutation to her world. Leaving the relative safety of the mountains, Elspeth embarks on a journey that takes her across the sea and into the heart of the mysterious desert region of Sador.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:12 -0400)

Elspeth travels to the lowlands to seal an alliance between Obernewtyn and the rebel forces that oppose the totalitarian Council, while still being pulled by the need to learn more about the weaponmachines that destroyed the Land during the Beforetimes.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible