One Writer's Beginnings by Eudora Welty

English (17)  German (1)  All languages (18)
It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders, coming up of themselves like grass.

This short, gentle memoir hints at how the writer-Welty was formed. Its three sections (“Listening,” “Learning to See,” and “Finding a Voice”) were adapted from three lectures she gave at Harvard University in 1983. They capture her sweet childhood; her extended family and life in the South; and her education, early writing and reflections on writing.

As you have seen, I am a writer who came of a sheltered life. A sheltered life can be a daring life as well. For all serious daring starts from within. ( )
  DetailMuse | Jun 7, 2016 |
A brief memoir of Eudora Welty's childhood in Mississippi and the people who influenced the writer she became, it is a pleasant slice of southern life in the early 20th century. Many of the memorable people in her formative years later reappear incognito as characters in her stories. Her family history and accompanying mysteries are contemplated from the aspect of a child trying to figure out the world around her. It doesn't speak of how to right so much as it is about her font of inspiration. ( )
  varielle | May 23, 2016 |
Sweet little gem of a book... ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Starts out wonderfully, but ebbs as she goes—the language becoming more clunky toward the end. One Writer's Beginnings is an autobiographical look at how Welty became the author she is. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
To the memory of my parents / Christian Webb Welty / 1879-1931 / Chestina Andrews Welty / 1883-1966
In our house on North Congress Street in Jackson, Mississippi, where I was born, the oldest of three children, in 1909, we grew up to the striking of clocks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0674639278, Paperback)

Among the most beloved of American writers, Eudora Welty's stories and novels have entertained us for over half a century. Here, in her memoirs, she writes with her usual candor and grace about how a writer's sensibilities are shaped. As compelling as her stories, as witty as her personality, as finely honed as her fiction, Welty's account of her life is a powerful and fulfilling read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:46 -0400)

The autobiography of the fiction writer Eudora Welty whose honors include the Pulitzer Prize and the American Book Award for fiction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,204,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible