Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine

Shortcomings (2007)

by Adrian Tomine

English (44)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All (46)
This book is hilarious. But I'm Caucasian and 60 and have been married to a Japanese man the same age as me for 21 years. It's not another graphic novel, but I highly recommend Where the Body Meets Memory by David Mura for a great dive into Japanese-American assimilation issues. ( )
  MaryMcConnell | Jan 10, 2017 |
Hated the male character!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
I had some thoughts on Shortcomings after I finished reading it a month and a half ago, but those thoughts are lost to me now. Here's what I remember. I like Tomine's art style, as always. I have limited exposure to graphic novelists, but Tomine is by far my favorite with his crisp, realistic, detail-driven images. This story had its moments of greatness, but overall, I recall a sense of self-indulgence overshadowing any points the story could've successfully addressed. Shortcomings comes nowhere near the beauty and heartache of Killing and Dying, but it was still a visual treat and a very short read. ( )
  chrisblocker | Jul 8, 2016 |
The best thing about this graphic novel is Tomine's great skill in drawing. His lines and shadows are stark and mirror the cool ennui and distress emoted by his characters. Ben and his girlfriend are at each other's throats throughout, and it's hard to tell who is more annoying. Ben's interactions with her, with his friend Alice, and with everybody else make us ponder about stereotypes, ethnic identity, and problematic masculinity. ( )
1 vote poetontheone | Sep 21, 2015 |
Themes: Post-racial politics, Racist love, Interracial dating
  jdear | Sep 11, 2015 |
added by dcozy | editJapan Times, David Cozy (Dec 30, 2007)

For Sarah

When Miko moves temporarily to live and study in New York she leaves behind Ben, a confused, obsessive, 30 year old theatre manager who finds himself desperately trying to answer the big questions. But aided only by his promiscuous friend Alice, and spending increasing time with his new employee Autumn, things only seem to get more confusing. Does he know what he wants? Is he everything Miko accuses of him? Should he follow her to New York?A painful, charming and stunningly illustrated look at the realities of modern relationships. Shortcomings is one of the most brilliantly subtle, witty and moving graphic novels around.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,245,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible