Shortcomings (2007)

by Adrian Tomine

A graphic novel in which Ben Tanaka tries to salvage his failing long-term relationship with Miko Hayashi, who suspects Ben is more attracted to white women, an accusation that cause their personal and political problems to reach a boiling point.

English (47)  Danish (1)  French (1)  All languages (49)
This is a straight-forward book that follows an anti-hero; the protagonist doesn't really care for his girlfriend, who tries to get their relationship to work.

It's safe to say that watching him, the torpid, vacant man, sulk and complain himself through life is a gnarly, look-yourself-in-the-mirror kind of experience.

Well written, interesting and human. Definitely makes me read more from this author. ( )
  pivic | Mar 21, 2020 |
In it's parts everything was decent. Well drawn, well written, somewhat interesting characters. However... it was awash in spite, grudges, negativity and other problems. Ughhhhh. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
I'm kind of surprised by all the negative reviews here because I loved this one. Did I read a different book from everyone else? Did everyone not see the Asian American experience--the self-hatred, the hypocrisy, the over-exoticizing--written in such a wry and genuine way (did no one see the humor in this book)? Yes, I understand that on the surface, the main character makes terrible life choices and says really awful things. I get that. But his pathetic life feels so much due to his lack of self-awareness and his hyper-awareness of everyone else in his life. From the very first page, this book was a winner for me. Shrug. I guess this one spoke to me. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
4.5 Clean, shockingly beautiful drawings hold the messy ambiguity of relationships between people in their twenties and the difficulties of the "model minority". Perfectly made, the only downside is that I read it in an hour. Worth it for the panels without words. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Really enjoyed this graphic novel. I found it through one of those, "Six Graphic Novels You Should Read Right Now Or Your Life Is Shit" lists. Reading this, I'm not certain everyone would fall all over themselves in praise but I sure did. :)
I definitely encourage you to read it if you are into thoughtful, compelling, and intelligent literature. You really have to read it if you like all the aforementioned plus dig graphic novels.

I try not to read the jacket reviews until I have finished the book. For this one, when I turned the last page, this was the first review I read:

"Meticulously observed... The dialogue is pitch-perfect ans succint. [Tomine is] daring in his restraint."
-NY Times Book Review

And I was all like, "Yup." ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
added by dcozy | editJapan Times, David Cozy (Dec 30, 2007)

For Sarah

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,576,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible