Miracle Cure by Michael Palmer

Miracle Cure

by Michael Palmer

This book is about a doctor named Brian Holbrook. He has been fired from his jold job as a cardiologist due to his prescription drug addiction. He is in a hospital one day when one of the doctors there (that is familiar with Brian) calls upon Brian to look a weird case in the ER. Brian identifies what is happening and is eventually offered a new spot at the hospital. Brian later becomes involved in testing for a new miracle drug called Vasclear. Since the drug looks so promising, Brian gets his father into the study for the drug (his father has heart problems). Brian's dad ends up dying since the drug has been a scam the whole time! The drug was going to make tons of money for the mafia involved in the scandal.

My opinion on this book is that it was kind of uninteresting at first. Later on in the story though, it gets a lot more interesting (especially when the mafia gets involved). I think that this book could have been much better had the plot been given some spice towards the beginning. I am glad that I didn't give up on the book. The ending was very good (in my opinion). It was well written and i felt as if I wasexperiencing some of the events with Brian. Sometimes though, I did get quite bored due to the lack of entertaining events. I would recomend this book to anyone who likes a realistic book with a little bit of action. ( )
  jacobc.b1 | Oct 19, 2015 |
I remember liking this book. But, just before registering, I read the blurp on the back cover and found myself thinking: if a docter got banned from being a docter, how can he be practising medicine / testing a new drug? He's not allowed to then?

Well, the above says enough I guess: I'll have to re-read it to find and answer to that question. I don't know if I'll do that, because this genre is not as attractive as it used to be when I bought / read these books many years ago. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Found in the back of the cupboard (ahem!)

Run of the mill story of a Doctor, struck off for stealing drugs, finally getting back to work, only to get involved with a new cardio drug being trialled and rushed through FDA.

So-So read, started getting bored and skimming 2/3rds of the way through
  nordie | Sep 30, 2010 |
Dr Brian Holbrook has problems. He was a very successful heart surgeon until his prescription drug addiction got out of control and got him out of a job. He's now clean and trying very hard to get back into medicine. His father has an incident and he ends up in Boston's prestigious heart hospital and he Brian gets a chance at a new job.

The hospital is working on a new drug. It seems to be a miracle cure for heart congestion. However some of the early patients are dying, Brian wants to know but its putting him in danger.

It sometimes feels like when you read one novel about this topic you've read them all. While interesting it's pretty predictable. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 26, 2008 |
After I read 'Side Effects' I was beginning to think that Michael Palmer had lost his touch. Then I read Miracle Cure and my opinion changed right away. This book was interesting right from the beginning. It was rich with character detail and storyline and medical suspense. A must for any Michael Palmer fan. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 31, 2006 |

Michael Palmerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Eny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It took every bit of her strength, but Sylvia Vitorelli managed to force a third pillow under her back.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553576623, Mass Market Paperback)

The master of medical suspense takes you to prestigious Boston Heart Institute, where some patients are dying to get well....

After a troubled past, Dr.  Brian Holbrook has been given a second chance to prove himself.  At state-of-the-art Boston Heart Institute, he's been chosen to join the medical team testing a new miracle drug.  The initial results are so promising that Brian pushes to get his father--who suffers from a dangerous heart condition--accepted into the study.

But Brian is beginning to suspect his superiors are hiding something.  Why are crucial records disappearing? Why did a patient making startling progress suddenly die? Is the miracle drug a prescription for death? The answers could cost Brian more than his career.  For at Boston Heart Institute, knowing too much is the quickest way to the morgue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

His medical license suspended, Dr. Brian Holbrook is delighted to be given another chance when he is hired by the Boston Heart Institute, until he discovers that institute's prestigious reputation hides a diabolical secret that could cost him his life… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible